Author Topic: The Gun Control Bandwagon  (Read 77309 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The Gun Control Bandwagon
« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »
When your side can't even win a Politico poll (maybe this should have gone in the "pro gun "topic).  =D

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/02/28/narrative-busted-new-polling-on-armed-teachers-is-not-what-dems-want-to-hear/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »
Dick's sporting good is living up to their namesake again. Will no longer sell semiauto firearms or "high capacity" magazines and will NOT sell any firearm to under 21 years old.

Didn't they already do that after the Sandy Hook shooting?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2018, 10:31:25 AM »
Didn't they already do that after the Sandy Hook shooting?

Yes. They did still sell them in the Field and Stream stores though; they are supposedly stopping that now.

Also they will now not sell handguns to 18 to 21 year olds anymore? Who knew they were breaking that law all this time!  ;/

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2018, 12:03:34 PM »
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02-28/were-going-take-stand-dicks-stops-selling-assault-rifles-permanently

... and this time it's purmanint!

“The whole hunting business is an important part of our business, and we know there is going to be backlash on this,” said Mr. Stack. “But we’re willing to accept that.”
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »
Does Dick's sell wedding cakes?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2018, 12:18:16 PM »
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02-28/were-going-take-stand-dicks-stops-selling-assault-rifles-permanently

... and this time it's purmanint!

Quote from the comments in the above link: 
Dick's makes gun show shysters look respectable!
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2018, 12:35:39 PM »
I’ve decided to support the proposed 21 age for gun purchases. If kids under 21 aren’t responsible enough to own guns then we should make the age 21 for everything, voting, tobacco, gettings unrestricted drivers license, sign contracts, etc. Make all adult actions the same age. But I think the age should be 35.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2018, 01:33:17 PM »
I’ve decided to support the proposed 21 age for gun purchases. If kids under 21 aren’t responsible enough to own guns then we should make the age 21 for everything, voting, tobacco, gettings unrestricted drivers license, sign contracts, etc. Make all adult actions the same age. But I think the age should be 35.

The draft/military service...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2018, 03:25:14 PM »
More or less my point to a few different people.  The line needs to be drawn somewhere.  At some point, a kid needs to be declared an adult and they get to have all the privileges and rights of an adult.  It used to be 18.  So much stuff has been pushed to a higher age, it isn't really 18 anymore.  I wonder if they will move the statutory rape age up to 21 also. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2018, 03:34:15 PM »
I wonder if they will move the statutory rape age up to 21 also. 

No, because liberals are nothing if not consistently inconsistent.

Liberals: "An 18 year old is a CHILD! No CHILD should be able to guy a gun!"

Also Liberals: "A 14 year old is TOTALLY mature enough to decide (with no parental involvement) to kill her baby because it's a scary thing to be pregnant."

Liberals: "You're a monster to suggest that anyone under 27 ought to be responsible for buying their own insurance!"

Also Liberals: "It was completely consensual for that 13 year old to have sex with Roman Polanski. She WANTED it."

Liberals: "There's no way we should be letting 16 year olds drive on their own! Who knows what reckless thing they might do, ESPECIALLY if surrounded by their friends!"

Also Liberals: "We should lower the voting age to 16. 16 year olds have a much better ability to detect BS than adults."

(I can go on...)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2018, 03:43:27 PM »
More or less my point to a few different people.  The line needs to be drawn somewhere.  At some point, a kid needs to be declared an adult and they get to have all the privileges and rights of an adult.  It used to be 18.  So much stuff has been pushed to a higher age, it isn't really 18 anymore.  I wonder if they will move the statutory rape age up to 21 also. 

I would just add that they then have all the responsibilities as well. The way they're talking with the "voting at 16" thing, is that they just want kids to have the "rights' because they "deserve" them, but they don't talk about all the responsibilities and potential consequences of making adult decisions. If a 16 year old votes for a 75% tax rate, they don't have to pay it. If a 16 year old rips me off on a contract, I can't do anything about it.

If you talk the talk, you have to walk the walk.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2018, 04:39:38 PM »
I'm in favor of declaring one age of majority. If it's 21 to drink alcohol or buy a full semi auto black rifle or whatever fine, but by gawd they shouldn't be allowed to vote until then either.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2018, 04:40:47 PM »
 i caught the last bit of some meeting Trump was having with a bunch of legislatures. I didn't like 90% of what I was hearing and with how happy Feinstien looked this is not good. Of course Manchin and Toomey are back at it again with their "Background Check" bill. At this point I think we are looking at some new gun control laws unless some in the Senate or Congress can blow this up. BTW Trump told them not to put the Concealed Carry Reciprocity in the bill, to try and do that separately, so we won't likely even have an upside to whatever nonsense comes out of this.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2018, 04:44:54 PM »
I'm not feeling great about this:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/02/28/wtf-i-love-trump-now-so-will-dems-and-gun-control-advocates-praise-trump-for-this-video/

It may just be Trump playing to the crowd, but maybe not.  I guess the only way to know for sure will be based on what he signs and doesn't sign.

JUST NOW: "I like taking the guns early," President Trump says. "Take the guns first, go through due process second."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2018, 04:47:37 PM »
i caught the last bit of some meeting Trump was having with a bunch of legislatures.
What I saw was not good, Trump was just agreeing with any dumb idea anyone brought up. I mean, I'm not too worried about any bill actually passing but still.  :O
Quote from: Trump
“Take the guns first, go through due process second,”
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2018, 05:00:23 PM »
Trump seemed to be agreeing with just about every one in that so called bipartisan meeting.  That bothers me a great deal.  They seemed to be pushing the 21 year age minimum for rifles.  If this goes further and I think it will unless the Dems bundle up a lot of restrictive crap in the same bill.  So, if the 21 thing gets placed in legislation that has a chance of passing, I would suggest that they include only center fire semi-auto rifle purchases with that minimum age.

They talked about mentally ill people not owning guns.... well I already thought they couldn't.  Hence they want to relax the designation which I am somewhat uncomfortable with unless it is very carefully worded.  I see the CA thing possibly happening based on law enforcement action or at least a temporary restraining order.

The one guy was pushing outlawing all "assault rifles".....  that wouldn't get far as full auto rifles aren't even outlawed.

Let's not forget universal background checks.  That pesky old gun show loophole that isn't a loophole.... 

IF they go with universal background checks, I would suggest that there be no cost to the person doing the checking and no fees to FFL dealers just to get some piece of paper saying you have no criminal record.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:17:00 PM by slingshot »
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2018, 05:16:00 PM »
The Democratic push for gun control is a perfect opportunity for Congressional Republicans to make their case for re-election. "Vote for us in 2018, or they'll confiscate every gun you own!"

Perhaps Trump finally, at long last, wants to become a real Republican, by snatching defeat from the jaws, and the full, pouting lips of victory.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2018, 05:22:58 PM »
Trump seemed to be agreeing with just about every one in that so called bipartisan meeting.  That bothers me a great deal.  They seemed to be pushing the 21 year age minimum for rifles.  If this goes further and I think it will unless the Dems bundle up a lot of restrictive crap in the same bill.  So, if the 21 thing gets placed in legislation that has a chance of passing, I would suggest that they include only center fire semi-auto rifle purchases with that minimum age.

They talked about mentally ill people not owning guns.... well I already thought they couldn't.  Hence they want to relax the designation which I am somewhat uncomfortable with unless it is very carefully worded.  I see the CA thing possibly happening based on law enforcement action or at least a temporary restraining order.

The one guy was pushing outlawing all "assault rifles".....  that wouldn't get far as full auto rifles aren't even outlawed.

Let's not forget universal background checks.  That pesky old gun show loophole that isn't a loophole.... 

IF they go with universal background checks, I would suggest that there be no cost to the person doing the checking and no fees to FFL dealers just to get some piece of paper saying you have no criminal record.

He did the same thing with the Immigration meeting (Before Durbin torpedoed any chance of compromise with the "sh!thole" allegation).

I would bet that at worst we get the "Fix NICS" bill, and if we are really lucky we the "Fix NICS" bill with reciprocity.

Strong bet:  Bumpstocks are gone (ATF has been working on rule making since LV).  And rumour has it that the D's are going to go against "Fix NICS"  because "It doesn't go far enough".  So nothing gets done.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2018, 05:29:22 PM »
I do hope Trump gets some behind the scenes guidance from his sons to understand potential consequences of much of this "feel good" stuff. On universal background checks for example, what's to keep us from being charged $50/gun unless some specific language is inserted to cap the costs? In CA, there are wildly swinging costs on the private party transfer through FFLs. I know I've seen some dealers quote as much as $75, while others charge $15.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2018, 05:30:13 PM »
He did the same thing with the Immigration meeting (Before Durbin torpedoed any chance of compromise with the "sh!thole" allegation).

I would bet that at worst we get the "Fix NICS" bill, and if we are really lucky we the "Fix NICS" bill with reciprocity.

Strong bet:  Bumpstocks are gone (ATF has been working on rule making since LV).  And rumour has it that the D's are going to go against "Fix NICS"  because "It doesn't go far enough".  So nothing gets done.

Trump said he was going to do an EO on bump stocks. I’m not sure that is legal, but I’ve thought that about a lot of EOs by many Presidents. The problem is in challenging them. I do t particularly care about numb stocks either; but still don’t like the idea of an EO being used.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2018, 05:36:53 PM »
I'm not sure I give a crap what Trump is or is not saying.

What are the numbers in the House and Senate on this stuff? Because that's what matters (well, other than the possible EO)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #197 on: February 28, 2018, 05:45:15 PM »
Trump said he was going to do an EO on bump stocks. I’m not sure that is legal, but I’ve thought that about a lot of EOs by many Presidents. The problem is in challenging them. I do t particularly care about numb stocks either; but still don’t like the idea of an EO being used.

An EO might be used to ban importation of bumpstocks, as George H.W. Bush did with importing small handguns.  Not sure if any bumpstocks are imported.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2018, 06:07:15 PM »
An EO might be used to ban importation of bumpstocks, as George H.W. Bush did with importing small handguns.  Not sure if any bumpstocks are imported.

Yeah I question the legality of that one too. Didn’t they claim the old sporting purposes to justify that one?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2018, 06:11:55 PM »
Yeah I question the legality of that one too. Didn’t they claim the old sporting purposes to justify that one?

If they did, they could just as easily use it to justify a bumpstock ban.

"Sporting purpose" means whatever the government wants it to mean.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden