Author Topic: What caliber for mountain lion? How about none?  (Read 1769 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
What caliber for mountain lion? How about none?
« on: February 05, 2019, 09:24:37 AM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6668795/Colorado-jogger-fends-kills-mountain-lion-rural-trail.html

My guess is that he was able to break the neck or possibly bash the head against a rock.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: What caliber for mountain lion? How about none?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 09:34:42 AM »
Speaking as someone who once grabbed a handful of semi wild barn cat, I can't imagine what wrestling a big cat to death must be like.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 10:52:20 AM »
IF I were to guess, the mountain lion may have been in a desperate and weakened state to have gone after prey so large. Likely having difficulty finding food in the winter.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 10:57:28 AM »
Speaking as someone who once grabbed a handful of semi wild barn cat, I can't imagine what wrestling a big cat to death must be like.

Probably kind of like wrestling a lawn mower when it's running . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 05:17:29 PM »
I can testify to how strong a 18lb cat is when he doesn't want to go into the carrier. Unless the cat was weaken in someway beforehand I can only imagine how a man dealt with an 80lb one.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:58:48 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 06:47:21 PM »
And in other cat news:

https://www.khq.com/regional/idaho-woman-breaking-up-dog-fight-grabs-young-cougar/article_5669f510-add7-5790-837d-fd7a8c7c0d1d.html

They are getting more and more unafraid of people. I guess when there is a lady screaming "the cat's got my baby" they may, just may loosen the hunting restrictions on them. At least this one was only 35 pounds of angry cat.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 06:49:16 PM »
Has the Colorado cat murderer been charged yet?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 08:09:54 AM »
Maybe he's wasn't such a He-Man after all, it was a 24lb kitten

One of my cats is 20lbs and not fat.

Mountain lion Colorado runner killed was young kitten, officials say
https://www.foxnews.com/us/mountain-lion-colorado-runner-killed-was-young-kitten-officials-say
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:24:02 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 10:18:40 AM »
Well, 24lbs of pure murder cat is still 24lbs of pure murder cat.

I pretty much suspected that it wasn't a 200lb cat, because they would have found what's left of the guy's corpse hanging in a tree.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 10:43:26 AM »
It  makes wonder what he was doing at the time. I mean kitten MLs are not exactly known to go around attacking people.
Was mom off hunting and he said" Oh look a cute harmless kitten!, I think I'll go hug it and show it how in tune I am to mother nature"
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »
Well, 24lbs of pure murder cat is still 24lbs of pure murder cat.

I pretty much suspected that it wasn't a 200lb cat, because they would have found what's left of the guy's corpse hanging in a tree.

This

Dealing with a pissed off 20 lb feral tabby is risking serious injury, and that's with heavy gloves and a fair bit of experience under your belt. A full-grown mountain lion? Nope. No way you'd get off with a few facial cuts. Anyone who's experienced a house cat pretzelizing themselves around get at you with tooth and claw can attest to that. At the very least the guy would have had his arms and upper torso shredded to bits. More likely is brimic's "corpse hanging from a tree" scenario.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 12:14:17 PM »
This

Dealing with a pissed off 20 lb feral tabby is risking serious injury, and that's with heavy gloves and a fair bit of experience under your belt. A full-grown mountain lion? Nope. No way you'd get off with a few facial cuts. Anyone who's experienced a house cat pretzelizing themselves around get at you with tooth and claw can attest to that. At the very least the guy would have had his arms and upper torso shredded to bits. More likely is brimic's "corpse hanging from a tree" scenario.

Brad

I agree that I'm not surprised that it wasn't a full grown Lion, as those things are pretty much Apex predators.

I would like to add one data point (or anecdote, if you will) to Brad's quote (and the other folks that said similar things).

I was actually attacked but a good sized feral cat when I was a teenager.  Like 22 pounds of pissed off and mean.  I've also had pet cats my entire life and have had to do the claw trimming, shove into crate, hold for meds, all that stuff.  All that stuff you guys are thinking about on the cat pretzeling, and it's hard to avoid serious injury, and gloves and towels and the like is only true if you're trying not to hurt the cat.

The cat that attacked me?  I was 17 and like 180 lbs.  It got some real good scratches in, and like 3 bites in the first 30 sec of the attack, while I was trying to disengage from the angry beast.  Then I decided that this cat was acting weird, and I was going to deliver it for rabies testing.  After that the fight lasted about 15 sec.  I was bleeding sure, but not actually injured in any real sense.  (and the cat was negative for rabies, so there's that.)

An ~200lbs human is not going to be too troubled by a predator 1/10 their size unless the human is trying to be gentle, I don't care what the creature has for claws and teeth.

Much like fights with people, you gotta commit to the violence when it starts.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 12:37:35 PM »
My daughter's favorite cartoon strip:

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/kitty_hug
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 10:59:12 PM »
It was a 30-40lb cat who had been partially eaten by predators leaving a 24lb carcass with an estimated live weight of 30-40lbs. That's a lot of teeth, claws and muscle! I have a 19lb male cat that could put a MAJOR hurt on you if he had a mind to!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 11:52:50 PM »
My daughter's favorite cartoon strip:

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/kitty_hug

Your daughter is weird.

Why is she not a participating member here?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design