Author Topic: Walther Creed  (Read 1502 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Walther Creed
« on: March 04, 2019, 10:11:12 AM »
I was looking at PPQ prices at Impact Guns and ran into a Walther Creed that they're selling for $290 new. I had not heard of the Creed before (it's apparently been out for a while) and was shocked at that price. Hickok45 seems to like it though.

https://youtu.be/3cslHRLOEc8

At that price I'd almost pick one up as a knock around gun. Any of you heard of them or shot one?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Walther Creed
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »
Seems like Hickok45 covered the bases pretty good.  I'm shocked at that $290 price.  Is that in American money?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »
CDNN has them on sale right now for... $249.00... That's an insanely good price for a quality name high capacity 9mm.

In my thread a couple of weeks ago I rejected the Creed and others like it because it doesn't have a thumb safety, but now that I've learned more about it I find that it has a more revolver type trigger (both in travel length and in pull weight, according to Walther 6.5 pounds) than most other guns in its class.

I'm going to give it a look when I start actively shopping.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
Seems like Hickok45 covered the bases pretty good.  I'm shocked at that $290 price.  Is that in American money?

My first thought was that the slightly funky trigger would make it undesirable, but Hickok seems to like it. He made a good point on the bore axis, which looks higher than on the PPQ, but it didn't seem to bother him shooting.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 02:57:34 PM »
...He made a good point on the bore axis, which looks higher than on the PPQ, but it didn't seem to bother him shooting.

Yeah, a low barrel is one of the features of the Chiappa Rhino revolver.

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/f.php?id=53

I figure if the barrel is under your hand, the gun will recoil downward, if it's over your hand, it'll recoil upward.  Somewhere in the middle, it'll recoil straight back, which the Rhino tries to do.  (This, aside from the torsional recoil of all rifled firearms.)

I don't remember the model, but there's an auto in .40 with the barrel unusually high on the frame that I refused to shoot on that account.

Some years ago I decided I had enough guns and started to part with everything except for two rifles, a .22 pistol, and my personal defense carry guns, but I might be interested in getting one of these.  At least if it's "kept for evidence" for any reason, you won't be out that many American dollars.

Terry

Edited to change "palm" to "hand" for clarity.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:05:50 PM by 230RN »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 04:51:47 PM »
Yeah, a low barrel is one of the features of the Chiappa Rhino revolver.

I don't remember the model, but there's an auto in .40 with the barrel unusually high on the frame that I refused to shoot on that account.

Springfield XD?   Folks complain about the high bore axis of that gun.   "But have you shot one?"  I have 2 XD-s in .40, and I find them quite comfortable to shoot. 

Makes me tend to disbelieve the overblown rhetoric on gun boards.

Some years ago I decided I had enough guns and started to part with everything except for two rifles, a .22 pistol, and my personal defense carry guns, but I might be interested in getting one of these.  At least if it's "kept for evidence" for any reason, you won't be out that many American dollars.

I'm kind of there. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 05:08:12 PM »
I think a lot depends on how you grip the gun and how it feels to you.  I don't care for 40 S&W, but most guns that shoot it are just 9mm guns with larger caliber barrels.  I got a Glock 20 in 10 mm last year and I think it shoots softer than my Glock 22 in 40.  I think the larger frame size just helps me absorb the recoil easier.  Along the same lines, if the grip and beaver tail of the pistol help you control the muzzle flip a little better, the barrel being set high may not matter.

IMO, there are a lot of personal factors in choosing the best pistol for you.  Most just don't get the experience with various pistols to really settle on what works best for them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 06:07:37 PM »
I think a lot depends on how you grip the gun and how it feels to you.  I don't care for 40 S&W,

Yeah, I was looking at PPQ prices because I'm getting rid of both my PPQ .40 and my G23. I decided I just don't like .40 and was looking at trading both for a PPQ in 9mm. Although I saw they make PPQs in .45 now, so maybe I'll get a PPQ in .45 and a Creed in 9mm.  =D

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 06:38:24 PM »
Ben said,

"Although I saw they make PPQs in .45 now, so maybe I'll get a PPQ in .45 and a Creed in 9mm."  

Just don't keep them both in the bedroom.  They'll argue all night and keep you awake.

Terry runs and hides
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 06:58:37 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 06:52:36 PM »
Ben said,

Just don't keep them both in the bedroom.  They'll argue all night and keep you awake.

Terry runs and hides

Okay, that's a good one.  :laugh:

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 08:38:55 PM »
Springfield XD?   Folks complain about the high bore axis of that gun.   "But have you shot one?"  I have 2 XD-s in .40, and I find them quite comfortable to shoot.  

Makes me tend to disbelieve the overblown rhetoric on gun boards.

By that time I was getting pretty recoil-sensitive.  I also quit shaking hands with my right hand.  I'm OK up to 125 grain .38+Ps in a steel J-frame Model  442 but not much more power than that in an "Airweight."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 01:53:53 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 09:50:41 AM »
Yeah, I was looking at PPQ prices because I'm getting rid of both my PPQ .40 and my G23. I decided I just don't like .40 and was looking at trading both for a PPQ in 9mm. Although I saw they make PPQs in .45 now, so maybe I'll get a PPQ in .45 and a Creed in 9mm.  =D
I have one the .45 version with a threaded barrel.  I am looking to get rid of it.  It feels great in the hand, but it just isn't for me.  I like my FNX-45 and Glock 21 better.  Everyone does things a little different so it might work well for you.  It is a well built, very nice pistol. 

I think the PPQ 45 weighs 28 ounces unloaded.  It feels like 27 ounces of that weight is in the slide.  For me, it has a lot of muzzle flip and I have to consciously grip it firmly to resist the recoil impulse especially shooting hot ammo.  With practice ammo it shot just fine.  The first time I noticed an issue for me was trying to shoot Speer Gold Dot 200 grain +P HP's.  I fired a round and it kicked back hard enough to throw the next round in the magazine out of the gun.  If I think about holding it firmly and resisting the recoil, it doesn't do that.  That just isn't my habit and I don't have to do that with my other pistols.  With normal FMJ, it shoots fine and it is better with HP's that are not so hot. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 10:02:04 AM »
I have one the .45 version with a threaded barrel.  I am looking to get rid of it.  It feels great in the hand, but it just isn't for me.  I like my FNX-45 and Glock 21 better.  Everyone does things a little different so it might work well for you.  It is a well built, very nice pistol. 

That's good to know. I might need to try one at a range first. It was actually only a thought. All my .45s are 1911s. My first inclination was dumping the .40s for a PPQ in 9mm, but then I saw they made the .45 and thought about having one less caliber to deal with. We'll see - maybe I'll just stick to the original plan of 9MM, since another gun on the list is a 1911 in a lightweight Commander frame. Currently thinking of the S&W 1911sce.

I was also thinking of the threaded barrel on the PPQ, as I was thinking of that with suppressor and light as the nightstand gun.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 10:16:16 AM »
I still have a couple of pistols in 40 that I will likely never sell, but I am sticking to 9mm and 45 these days (and maybe some 10 mm).  IMO, the +P 9mm with heavier bullets gets pretty close to what 40 was originally set up to be without taking the capacity hit, and the guns still shoot better and easier than 40.  If I want to drop in capacity, I will go up to 45.