Author Topic: Oddball and offbeat shows  (Read 1124 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Oddball and offbeat shows
« on: January 23, 2019, 04:08:57 PM »
https://youtu.be/DwDbd4jQpkA (2:21)

Long story about how I got to that clip, but I was always interested in puppetry / ventriloquism.  Yeah, Edgar Bergen and Señor Wences always fascinated me.

Jay Johnson is the puppeteer if you're interested.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Just for the laughs --puppeteering video clip --no other purpose
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 06:49:03 PM »

Jay Johnson is the puppeteer if you're interested.

If you have a chance, catch his one man show Jay Johnson: The Two and Only. Even if you're not into ventriloquism it's a really enjoyable watch. Shows up on Netflix occasionally.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
Oddball and offbeat shows
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 07:14:21 PM »
230RN's ventriloquism video post made me think of all the oddball and offbeat things I watch that turn out to be really good. Figured I'd start a thread so everyone can throw their two cents in.

Most I caught on Netflix or Prime Video so they may or may not still be available. Some are old and obscure enough they may no longer be available in any format.

Jay Johnson: The Two and Only (award-winning one man show)
GLOW, the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (history of the 80's show and catch up with the actors now)
Wrecking Crew (history of the LA-based studio musicians responsible for much of the recorded music from the late 60s to the early 2000s)
Rowan Atkinson: LIVE (one man show by the master of facial expressionism)
A Faster Horse (documentary of the 50th Anniversary Mustang R&D)
Trinity and Beyond, the Atomic Bomb Movie series (history of nuclear bomb testing using restored footage)
Moon Shot: The Inside Story of the Apollo Project (Apollo program development base on Deke Slayton's book)
Muscle Shoals (history of the FAME recording studio)
The PIXAR Story (history of the studio, early years through mid-2000's)
Untold Story of ILM (history of the studio's early development)

There's a whole host of Behind the Scenes stuff from Special Edition DVD and blu ray releases. The history of Lisberger Studios on the TRON special edition, the amazingly expansive and detailed BTS series from Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy, et cetera, et cetera.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Oddball and offbeat shows
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 07:35:48 PM »
Possibly merge  the two threads ?   That was part of my intent on the "Just for the laughs" thread.

It's up to  youse guys.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 11:39:49 PM »
I have the dvd of "TRINITY AND BEYOND: THE ATOMIC BOMB MOVIE."  It a pretty interesting movie,  showcasing the beauty and horror of nuclear weapons.  Old films have been "cleaned up"  so the images are pristine.  Plus, great music score enhances the film.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

robear

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 01:52:55 AM »
Thanks for that list.   I just finished watching The Wrecking Crew and have downloaded A Faster Horse for tomorrow.
I have always been into 'behind the scenes' type of documentaries.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 09:41:17 AM »
Possibly merge  the two threads ?   That was part of my intent on the "Just for the laughs" thread.

It's up to  youse guys.

Sounds like a plan.

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 10:20:30 AM »
A couple more came to mind...

For the Love of Spock (documentary of Leonard Nimoy's career by his son, Adam)
Dangerous Days: The Making of Blade Runner (subject is self-evident)
Lost in La Mancha (behind Terry Gilliam's doomed The Man Who Killed Don Quixote)

Brad
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 12:48:49 PM »
. . .
Wrecking Crew (history of the LA-based studio musicians responsible for much of the recorded music from the late 60s to the early 2000s)
 . . .
The Wrecking Crew was also the name of Dean Martin's 1969 Matt Helm movie, one of four he made . . . and I've little doubt I'd find Dino's movie more entertaining than anything about LA-based studio musicians. Especially since this was the movie in which Elke Sommer made her appearance in a spectacular blue dress . . . 

On a more serious note, the History Channel produced The Last Mission, about how a B-29 raid over Tokyo caused a blackout that disrupted a military plot to depose the emperor and prevent Japan's surrender. Very interesting and thought provoking in a "What MIGHT have been" way.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 01:19:55 PM »

It's up to  youse guys.

Done.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 10:46:28 AM »
I Know That Voice (an inside look at voice actors and the voice acting industry)
That Guy Who Was In That Thing (the work and daily life of character actors)

Brad
-HankB

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 06:54:48 PM »
I used to watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine