Author Topic: Paul Harvey has passed  (Read 4054 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Paul Harvey has passed
« on: February 28, 2009, 08:52:26 PM »
and now the rest of the story?
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/090228/da77046.html?.v=1

ABC Radio Networks Statement on the Passing of Paul Harvey
Saturday February 28, 8:34 pm ET

DALLAS, Feb. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- The following is a statement from Jim Robinson, President of ABC Radio Networks, on the passing of Paul Harvey:

Paul Harvey was one of the most gifted and beloved broadcasters in our nation's history. As he delivered the news each day with his own unique style and commentary, his voice became a trusted friend in American households. His career in radio spanned more than seven decades, during which time countless millions of listeners were both informed and entertained by his "News & Comment" and "Rest of the Story" features. Even after the passing of his loving wife Angel in May 2008, Paul would not slip quietly into retirement as he continued to take the microphone and reach out to his audience. We will miss our dear friend tremendously and are grateful for the many years we were so fortunate to have known him. Our thoughts and prayers are now with his son Paul Jr. and the rest of the Harvey family.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
Re: Paul Harvey has passed
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 08:54:04 PM »
I hated his show with a passion, always turned the channel.
Avoided the stations that had it.
R.I.P Paul
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 08:55:41 PM »
I always enjoyed listening to Paul Harvey.  Another good one gone.  Rest in Peace, Mr. Harvey.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 09:01:44 PM »
Stand by ....... for news!
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 09:20:29 PM »
If anyone was the father of news/talk radio, it was Paul Harvey...and he still kept it classy all these years.....

...he was a good 'un.....I'll miss him.....

Vaya con Dios.......and Good Day......  =)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 09:38:12 PM »
My dad has a copy of his "For What it's Worth". Lots of funny stories. For instance, in a police blotter: a Burger King had been robbed...by a guy named Ronald McDonald.  :lol:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 11:26:53 PM »
I always liked listening to Paul Harvey.

I also saw that Wendy Richard, who played Miss Brahms on Are You Being Served?, passed on Thursday.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 07:09:29 AM »
I loved listening to him....
One day at a time.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 07:45:50 AM »
I always liked listening to Paul Harvey.

I also saw that Wendy Richard, who played Miss Brahms on Are You Being Served?, passed on Thursday.

Two good ones....and don't they say they come in threes....not looking forward to this....  =(
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 08:00:45 AM »
No idea who this is.
Hate to see him go.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
One day at a time.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 09:12:13 AM »
Listen to this clip...it's so Paul Harvey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wl2LfMVJxw
One day at a time.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 10:59:58 AM »
Mr. Harvey was the antithesis of the old adage that only the good die young.

Another one of the good guys is gone.  RIP, Mr. Harvey.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 12:57:20 PM »
Two good ones....and don't they say they come in threes....not looking forward to this....  =( 

I'm guessing it will be Ed McMahon.  Unfortunately, he is in the hospital right now, in a very bad way.  He's 85 years old, pneumonia and bone cancer.  His interaction with the late Johnny Carson as his sidekick on the Tonight Show was often entertaining.

"Here's Johnny!"
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 01:50:05 PM »
Oh, yeah. I miss that big laugh. Anybody else remember when Ed had hernia surgery, and made the mistake of telling Johnny it hurt to laugh?  :O  :lol:

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 01:53:50 PM »
That's a shame.  I always enjoyed listening to him.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 08:27:36 PM »
he's up there with God telling God "I remember when you were young, and you created the universe, then you created the Earth, and now...the rest of the story"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 02:51:25 PM »
Heard that on the news last night.  Grew up listening to him, often three times a day in summer when an umbrella top and a scratchy AM radio mounted on the tractor fender was all you had to keep you sane.

Good Day, Paul.  RIP.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 06:52:17 PM »
No idea who this is.
A generational divide has been breached.  Paul Harvey is one the few true class acts in public life.  A colossus in his professional life and a humble man in private life.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 06:55:11 PM »
Ummm, the guy who wrote that is in his 50's. I'm 25 and knew who he was. Not sure "generational gap" is applicable.....
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 10:26:06 AM »
One of the funniest things from Simpsons ever...

Or maybe Family Guy...

....and that little boy grew up to be Adolph Hitler.

And that's the rest of the story.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.