Author Topic: Business Casual clothing problems.  (Read 4054 times)

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Business Casual clothing problems.
« on: April 22, 2006, 02:27:53 PM »
I have a clothing dilemma that hopefully one of yall can solve.

Here is the background:
I work at Wal-Mart (yeah flame away) as a Management trainee.  My boss wants us (management) to wear ties.  I have am happy enough to comply (I love ties) the only problem is that I am very active at work.  Duties include Climbing up ladders, redoing modulars, and other misc. physical activity.  In the last 4 months I have gone through 6 or 7 pairs of Khakis.  They ranged from a JC Penny brand, Old Navy, Wal-Mart brands, and Dickies.  

I need pants that will last.  I always split the seams or develop holes in the knees.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I just cant keep going through pants at the rate that I am.  Its way to expensive.  Remember they have to look good with ties thats where the problem comes in.  I have found Carhartts  (the jeans they sell man those are nice) but the khaki slacks may not look good with a tie.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 03:34:01 PM »
It's WalMart. Buy your khakis and slacks there- Dickies, George, whatever brand your store carries.  Keep the receipts.

Does WalMart still have the unconditional money-back guarantee?  Seems to me that a pair of pants should last more than a few months if they're worth a flip. Seems like a defect to me if they don't. Replacement or refund, sir?
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 03:56:45 PM »
I can't in good conscience do that.  I am a manager (unofficially.)  It is abuse of the system. Also that would not show proper leadership.  And they haven't been defect problems but use for which they are not intended.

And I would twinge everytime I saw the P&L (profit and loss statements) for the month when I return $100+ worth of pants.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 04:02:54 PM »
There are places for quality & there are places for cheap pants.

I think you are in the need for cheap pants, as it looks like you are going to tear through them, good quality or not.

In that spirit, I would recommend Old Navy, as they are normally really inexpensive & even cheaper whrn on sale.

Also, you could haunt the close-out racks.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 04:24:34 PM »
The Territory Ahead has canvas khaki's that will stand up to anything.  On the other hand why do you feel that you are betraying your employer by showing them the quality of the mechandise they sell is crap.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 04:37:13 PM »
I know a lot of our stuff is crap. I mean people go to Wal-Mart for the low prices.  It is the constant buying and returning of merchandise that bothers me.

It is more than the quality, a pair of tennis shoes last me 6 months (no matter the brand).  I am just hard on my clothing.

On a side note Wal-Mart is now going to be carrying better stuff. The furniture that we sell is slowly becoming better.  Wal-Mart has finally learned that low prices is not the only thing people desire.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 06:55:34 PM »
Quote from: J.J.
I know a lot of our stuff is crap. I mean people go to Wal-Mart for the low prices.  It is the constant buying and returning of merchandise that bothers me.

It is more than the quality, a pair of tennis shoes last me 6 months (no matter the brand).  I am just hard on my clothing.

On a side note Wal-Mart is now going to be carrying better stuff. The furniture that we sell is slowly becoming better.  Wal-Mart has finally learned that low prices is not the only thing people desire.
What you need my friend is a good resale store. My job eats (literally) clothes too. As an example my company buys me two pairs of work boots annually (up to 125.00 per pair, I get to choose), the two pair never make it through the year, the chemical I work with literally eats boots.

Dickies and the like at my local Goodwill range from 3.99 to 5.99 a pair. A local sort-of-like-Goodwill store sells them for 1.75 to 2.99. I just bought four pair of work pants for 16 bucks at goodwill. I buy whatever color they have, or blue jeans if they have them, but the kahki dickies should be fine with a tie.  I see quite a few 'dockers' and other such sort of casual dress brands while I'm shopping for work pants, in the same price range.

On a side note Wal-Mart is now going to be carrying better stuff. The furniture that we sell is slowly becoming better.  Wal-Mart has finally learned that low prices is not the only thing people desire
No, but that is the thing we most desire. Quality is grand, but when we're buying milk or store brand groceries we want cheap. So save a little shelf space out for quality, but don't lose sight of what put walmart on the map. Cheap, and more recently big. And other than unethical business practices (like deliberate loss underselling to put competitors out of business, which has occurred with walmart) don't lie awake at night feeling bad about putting people out of business. Mom & Pop operations that compete with walmart on price and selections have been gone from America for 60 years. The people walmart is displacing is the second generation of the people that originally put the mom & pop's out of business.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 07:50:40 PM »
If you have a Steve and Berry's, try them.  They usually have everything in the store for anywhere from $5-$9, depending on their current sale.  And they do have everything in there, buy your khakis from them.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 08:02:27 PM »
Stand_watie -
Glad you agree.

Truth be told Wal-Mart throws a lot of business to other small operations.  We carry basic items. Come to us we can give you the basics cheap (for example hard-ware dept.) need a more specialized item, color, object etc. I will recommend the better smaller business that specializes in that.

Wal-Mart is not doing a big change over just small select things an extra display with trendy bamboo (or what not) kitchen stuff that rotates pretty fast.  In select markets Wal-Mart is testing a new breed of store that is more along the lines of Target with prices/quality and no lay-a-way.  IT will never replace Wal-Mart as we know it but, its a test to see if higher end markets will shop an "improved" Wal-Mart that caters to them.

On a side note Wal-Mart is soon going to introduce a new line of clothing Exsto for men 18-35 its called Urban sportswear.  I am curious what it will be like... Ghetto Fabulous?   (Its the mens version of Metro 7.)  Why ghetto fab. you may ask? Well the brand was created by Jeffrey Tweedy former partner of Sean Diddy Combs.  They together launched the Sean John cloths line.

*shakes his head*  to think it is like pulling teeth to get my Wal-Mart to carry collar extenders or tie clasps because they would sell. (I think. you never know till you try)

Back on topic sorry....

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 09:53:42 PM »
Quote from: J.J.
Stand_watie -
Glad you agree.

Truth be told Wal-Mart throws a lot of business to other small operations.  We carry basic items. Come to us we can give you the basics cheap (for example hard-ware dept.) need a more specialized item, color, object etc. I will recommend the better smaller business that specializes in that...

I will give you my opinion on various departments at Walmart - best department far and away is grocery.  The cheap is unbeatable in walmart grocery. Next is the garden department, then the sporting goods, automotive, clothing and electronics departments.

Seeing the trend here? These are things walmart can do really well because they're so big. Of course I shop elsewhere for  stuff that is unusual or hard to get, but walmart is tops for getting what you know you want cheap.

As a manager I have some advice- If you have it in your power to make sure that non-perishable items that you know you'll eventually sell are on your shelves all the time, it will make for more sales. My local walmart has a problem keeping 'sam's diet cola' in stock and tells me that they have no control over their deliveries and the amount that is delivered. If you would genuinely be able to affect such as a store manager it would improve your sales.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

TMM

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 05:34:28 AM »
GOODWILL! it's the best place to get cheap slacks. i got a pair the other day for 2 dollars. good as new. much better than the Abercrombie and *expletive deleted*it pants for $60 apiece...

~tmm

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 06:23:51 AM »
Wal-Mart had this great idea of instead of carrying most grocery items in a warehouse we will get it direct from the manufacturer when its needed.  So instead of a max of 3 days between ordering and receiving of stuff it takes God knows how long (3-4 weeks?)   And some of the dry grocery goods are starting to come in on the GM (general Merchandise side) Wal-Mart Supercenters are broken in in Grocery and Non grocery. The back rooms are separate and docks are Separate for each side.. So someone thought hey Lets send MORE Stuff to the GM side its not like 3000-4000 pieces of freight is not enough. Now we will send some Grocery stuff too (8 to 9 pallets worth each night)

Thanks for all of the advice i will look around but it looks like its back to good-will for me.  Maybe while I am there i can find some ties I like cheap.  Just gotta figure out how to sneak them in so the wife won't see them

TMM

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 07:18:24 AM »
Goodwill has some ties, along with Marshalls and some other place that i can't remember the name of.

Your wife dosn't like ties? or you have too many of them? either way, stuff them in the pockets of the pants you buy, or put them under your hat.

~tmm

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 01:00:50 PM »
I love ties. I have so many ties its kindof sad...  But I mean if you have a large selection of ties it just changes the apperance of an outfit.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
the khaki slacks may not look good with a tie.
i kinda doubt anyone expects you to look "good" as a Walmart employee

go for functional

its obvious your "good" taste has been failing you

buy some tan jeans
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 06:36:34 PM »
I've worn black Carhartts with a tie. I don't see why a khaki or off-white set wouldn't look fine.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 07:22:39 PM »
I don't know how nice your khakis have to look, but Academy sells some pretty cheap ones.  I have a few pairs that have lasted much longer than any of the high dollar ones I've bought that usually turn into hunting/fishing/brushclearing pants pretty quickly.

If you get any kind of discount at Sam's, you might check there.
For entertainment purposes only.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 01:35:54 AM »
Buy a little larger/baggier. They'll wear better, and you won't be as likely to split seams. You're not a fashion plate. You're a guy wearing a uniform who is expected to do manual labor occasionally.
Blog under construction

w turner

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 05:16:07 AM »
Try the duluth trading company.  They make/sell clothing similar to Dickies or Carhartt, but the quality is much better.  It may cost a little more per pair, but I bet they will last you longer than what you have been trying.

Here is a link to some of their pants.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens_pants/pants.aspx

W