Author Topic: I fail to see the problem  (Read 4056 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
I fail to see the problem
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:34:06 AM »
And yes I say this even as a law-breaking cell phone user.

RESPECT THE BUBBLE.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/25392761/driver-caught-using-cell-phone-jamming-device
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: I fail to see the problem
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 11:43:15 AM »
And yes I say this even as a law-breaking cell phone user.

RESPECT THE BUBBLE.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/25392761/driver-caught-using-cell-phone-jamming-device

You don't see a problem with interfering with people's cell phone usage?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:48:29 AM »
You don't see a problem with interfering with people's cell phone usage?

I find humor in it from an over-engineered solution to the problem perspective. I think it's hilarious that he wasn't content to jam transmission for 50 feet, 50 yards, or 500 yards...he was putting out something that was jamming actual towers probably a MILE away in either direction. He didn't half-ass it...

Completely illegal and my comments are offered in complete jest.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 12:09:40 PM »
If the law says you can't use your cell-phone while driving, then he's just following the law and making sure his fellow drivers do the same.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:police: :police: :police:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 01:05:44 PM »
Agents from the FCC used direction finding techniques to find that strong wideband emissions were coming out of a blue Toyota Highlander SUV driven by Humphreys.
They must have brought a lot of resources to bear in order to localize emissions from a moving vehicle.   
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »
They must have brought a lot of resources to bear in order to localize emissions from a moving vehicle.   

Not really.  Hams do it frequently with some pretty basic equipment against much weaker transmitters.

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 01:19:53 PM »
Not really.  Hams do it frequently with some pretty basic equipment against much weaker transmitters.

Chris

And it only took the feds two years to track him down.  I wonder how much was spent....

I bet RevDisk could have done in in less then a day and for under $100 in gear/parts, to include building the gizmo from scratch, then calling in artillery and and air strike on his moving vehicle.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 01:29:32 PM »
And it only took the feds two years to track him down.  I wonder how much was spent....

I bet RevDisk could have done in in less then a day and for under $100 in gear/parts, to include building the gizmo from scratch, then calling in artillery and and air strike on his moving vehicle.

Actually, the Feds were notified a year ago.  I'm sure they have a pile of privacy-related red tape to wade through as well.

It can take dedicated Hams weeks or months to track down mobile sources of interference.  They don't tend to have red tape to deal with.

I'm sure there would be an outcry if they found the guy "too easily" (the feds are snoopin' on us!).

Chris

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 02:27:18 PM »
I just use the Stebel Natulis horn on the front of my bike if I get beside someone using their cell phone, at appx 130dB it gets their attention pretty quick. It may help I ride a very big bike with a black and white paint scheme, and am normally open carrying when riding. Now I wonder what it really is, the noise, the paint scheme or the gun.   ;)

bob

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »
Yep it would be awesome to call 911 because your child needs to be rushed to the hospital and this guys jamming the signal....grow up man.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »
it's likely the guy caused more distractions, as everyone was fiddling with their phones trying to get them back online. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 03:36:51 PM »
What Jamis and G2 said.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 04:24:15 PM »
Yep it would be awesome to call 911 because your child needs to be rushed to the hospital and this guys jamming the signal....grow up man.

That's what I was thinking.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 07:34:58 PM »
"it's likely the guy caused more distractions, as everyone was fiddling with their phones trying to get them back online."

True, that.

Before I became a Ham I tracked one Citizen's Band (CB) Radio abuser in Boulder using a small shielded attenuated loop on my CB walkie-talkie.  He was using an (illegal) 100 W linear amplifier and trashed up Channels 19 (the "Trucker's Channel") and Channel 9 (the "Emergency Channel") pretty good.  At the next club meeting I gave his address to a couple of trusted members. 

I didn't have to use triangulation, I just kept driving toward the weakest signal (it's the weakest signal which indicates the direction with a loop).

Day or two later his transmissions stopped. Someone had cut the cable going to his rooftop antenna --not me, but I know who did it.

Terry

REF:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmitter_hunting
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:54:12 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 10:56:44 PM »
agree with both jamis and g2.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 01:00:22 PM »
No laws against passengers using cell phones, either.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »
No laws against passengers using cell phones, either.

Or hands free devices.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 06:40:07 PM »
"it's likely the guy caused more distractions, as everyone was fiddling with their phones trying to get them back online."

True, that.

Before I became a Ham I tracked one Citizen's Band (CB) Radio abuser in Boulder using a small shielded attenuated loop on my CB walkie-talkie.  He was using an (illegal) 100 W linear amplifier and trashed up Channels 19 (the "Trucker's Channel") and Channel 9 (the "Emergency Channel") pretty good.  At the next club meeting I gave his address to a couple of trusted members. 

I didn't have to use triangulation, I just kept driving toward the weakest signal (it's the weakest signal which indicates the direction with a loop).

Day or two later his transmissions stopped. Someone had cut the cable going to his rooftop antenna --not me, but I know who did it.

Terry

REF:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmitter_hunting

Terry, buddy of mine told me this story years ago, dunno if it's even possible....  But apparently there was a tow truck driver up in the Seattle area with a CB rig in his truck - and a 1000W (yes, 1kW!) linear amp.  My understanding is that he fried the input stages of a lot of radios before he got caught. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 08:07:05 PM »
Terry, buddy of mine told me this story years ago, dunno if it's even possible....  But apparently there was a tow truck driver up in the Seattle area with a CB rig in his truck - and a 1000W (yes, 1kW!) linear amp.  My understanding is that he fried the input stages of a lot of radios before he got caught. 

Probably not since many Hams have 1kw amps...legal that is.

Chris

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 07:32:14 PM »
I just use the Stebel Natulis horn on the front of my bike if I get beside someone using their cell phone, at appx 130dB it gets their attention pretty quick. It may help I ride a very big bike with a black and white paint scheme, and am normally open carrying when riding. Now I wonder what it really is, the noise, the paint scheme or the gun.   ;)

bob

this is called "the combo plate".

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 07:51:48 PM »
Probably not since many Hams have 1kw amps...legal that is.

Chris

Well, yeah, but most CB rigs aren't set up to handle the input of a jackwagon with a 1kw line amp 10-15 feet from their antenna as they're driving down the highway.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 09:26:28 PM »
We did the cb into the 1500 watt liner in high school. Piped into a directional antenna. It was not fun until someone in Jamaica responded.
Us and the Rastafarian on the other end had a good laugh. The shop teacher first yelled at us than was impressed with the contact.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 10:06:02 PM »
Story time....

So no s**t, there I was

In the early days of people having cell phones, I was one of the first joe's in the barracks with a cell phone. I had that nokia a lot of folks had, looked identical to this one:

Anyway, out at some training at AP Hill, I was put on the ammo guard detail. There was a trailer full of blanks (guards for blanks. LOL), concertina wire, and a radio that went unused. I was still excited about this phone, but it didn't work. I'd wager at the time there was no tower anywhere near AP hill, and now there are several on post.

So, there I am, looking at the antenna protruding from the power amp, running up into and wrapped around in the tree... and the lightbulb goes off.

I took the cap off the phone to expose the leads. Grabbed some spare wire, and twisted em together. Then i ran the other end into the input on the power amp, disconnecting the radio.

Almost instantly: 3-4 bars

Hallelujah! I can call .... well. My girl. My mom maybe? So i called both, mostly to brag about having a phone out in the middle of nowhere. After, the other ammo guard asked if he could use it. We had been out there a while. I was on a really awesome plan at the time, and worked out how much each minute was costing, and it wasn't all that bad. Then the idea hit me.

Joe likes phone calls.

Joe has cash because there's an ATM on AP hill, and a small PX

SO i did what any other enterprising joe would do, and started charging for phone calls. 5 minutes for 10 dollars I think. Or maybe it was 10 for 10. Whatever it was, it was profit.

I had a line. I got greedy. Suddenly a voice i couldn't quite place said "Can I get a phone call, tholdier?"

Wait a minute. I recognize that speech impediment.

It was the Sergeant Major. The look of pure hatred in his eyes haunts me to this day.

He made me give every single cent back to the soldiers who had made the calls. Then he smoked the *expletive deleted* out of me.

Then he gave me a coin for "being smart and motivated"
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:13:47 PM by Fitz »
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog