Author Topic: Last French WWI veteran dies  (Read 3909 times)

Iain

• friend
Last French WWI veteran dies
« on: March 17, 2008, 12:56:58 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7301492.stm

France has given full military honours to its last World War I veteran, Lazare Ponticelli, who died on Wednesday at the age of 110.

President Nicolas Sarkozy led a ceremony in Paris to commemorate him, and eight million other Frenchmen who fought in the conflict.

Mr Sarkozy said it was a national duty to keep their memory alive.

Mr Ponticelli, originally Italian, had lied about his age in order to join the French Foreign Legion in 1914, aged 16.
There are only a handful of surviving WWI veterans from other countries, including British pilot Henry Allingham and Austro-Hungarian artillery man Franz Kunstler.

The French had two at the start of 2008, they've both now died. The last German died in January.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Last French WWI veteran dies
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »
Saw a news piece a few weks ago about the last US WWI vet.  He's 110 IIRC, and remarkable fit physically and mentally, but was very sad at being the last one left.  He lied about his age & enlisted at 16, and got to France after everything had ended.  (Apparently was enroute when the armistice was signed.)

It should be about remembering what they did, both individually, as a group/generation, and as a political situation.  The first 2 deserve our respect, and the last probably will be the part that forever remains unremembered and as a lesson unlearned.

We will soon be saying the same things about WWII, Korea and Viet Nam, then after a short break the War on Terrorism, and then the ones that follows that.

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army
IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

stay safe.  Rest in Peace.

skidmark

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 05:54:29 PM »
My ex wife's grandfather had a similar experience. Scottish, joined at 19 but it was all over before he got there. He had a good sized picture of himself in his uniform complete with kilt hung on the basement wall. He died at 98. Two weeks prior he had still been working a full week and 1/2 a day on Saturday. He was the head gardener for Elizabeth Park in Hartford and had been for at least 50 years I guess.

Also in the basement of his house he had a drafting table where he would cut pictures of flowers out of magazines and arrange them on the table. This was how he designed the various flower arrangements around the park. Very interesting fellow.

If anyone caught the Grace Fox / G Fox vs Hartford story I told somewhere around here it turns out he was also HER gardener/caretaker and lived in the caretaker's house behind her mansion. She predeceased him but in her will she allowed him to live there until he died. Which he did. David Kidd was his name. Purportedly related somehow to "Captain" Kidd.

But not Billy the Kid.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 07:42:22 PM »
Is it true that a white flag was draped over the coffin?  Wink
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 08:02:06 PM »
Is it true that a white flag was draped over the coffin?

A poor attempt at humor that IMO was uncalled for.

But the answer is no.

bob

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 08:06:02 PM »
Well then, Bob, I'll apologize.  I'm sure the old guy could've kicked my ass.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Paddy

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 11:40:02 PM »
it true that a white flag was draped over the coffin?

THAT is really ignorant.   Are you a product of public education?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 01:15:34 AM »
Is it true that a white flag was draped over the coffin?  Wink

No.....in that war, the French were considered one of the world superpowers and one of the most advanced military powers. And some tough warriors worthy of respect....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 02:09:02 AM »
It is a shame that a nationality - and certain nationalities have been tarred with brushes unjustly or some utterly contrived basis.

The french fought as valiantly as any other nation involved in the conflict during WW1.

It is sad to see the last eyewitnesses leaving us from this one. WW2 vets are passing on in great numbers as well. When they are gone, all that will be left are the books, the audio and filmed interviews, and the memories of younger families left behind.

And as an aside, a bittersweet read concerning WW1 is; "The Christmas Truce; the Western Front, December 1914" - by Brown, Malcolm; Seaton, Shirley

----------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 02:35:21 AM »
Yes, the French actually fought well in WWI (except for the mutiny which with their leadership who could blame them).

Amazing!  I had no idea that any French vets were still alive.  Simply amazing.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 03:17:29 AM »
Yes, the French actually fought well in WWI (except for the mutiny which with their leadership who could blame them).

Amazing!  I had no idea that any French vets were still alive.  Simply amazing.

What is equally interesting is that the Germans apparently keep no records, there is no veterans organisation. So the German vet who died recently is believed to be the last but may not be, and his death almost completely passed the German public by.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 03:37:06 AM »
Some people REALLY need to get with the Joke...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 03:42:04 AM »
Read Ion Idriess' "The Desert Column" if you want to get a feel for what it was like in the trenches.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 04:08:37 AM »
Well then, Bob, I'll apologize.  I'm sure the old guy could've kicked my ass.

Antibubba, I'm shocked, really.
Oh, wait - I'm really more shocked that the last soldier had to be
burried by this worthless little *expletive deleted*it Sarkozy.
So you're off the hook, Anti.  smiley

Best read over WW1 imo was and still is : 

All Quiet on the Western Front

by Erich Maria Remarque (a German btw).
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 04:27:06 AM »
I agree with you on the read there Laurent.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 05:49:04 AM »
The French were bled white in WWI.  It does take a certain amount of courage to daily charge into a meat grinder for years at a time.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 05:54:30 AM »
I'll add it to "to read" list. Have either of you read the Idriess?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »
The French were bled white in WWI.  It does take a certain amount of courage to daily charge into a meat grinder for years at a time.

Which is one of the main reasons why there were a series of mutinies in the French Army in 1917.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 06:33:08 AM »
And a generation after WWI, the only Frenchmen meriting respect (and a lot of it!) as a group were those who were an active part of the Resistance before D-Day.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain