Author Topic: And more "people are stupid". Couple stockpiles gasoline...in their apartment.  (Read 3913 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
With predictable results.

Couple Stockpiling Gas Blamed for Apartment Blaze

Friday , June 06, 2008

AP

DARTMOUTH, Mass 
Authorities say a couple trying to beat the high cost of gasoline accidentally caused a fire that burned their apartment complex.

Fire Chief Richard Arruda says the couple had about 45 gallons of gasoline in nine plastic jugs stacked in a closet that also housed an air conditioning unit.

The gasoline fumes apparently set off Thursday's fire, which was quickly put out by a sprinkler system.

No one was seriously hurt, but residents of eight units of the complex were displaced.

Investigators believe the couple was storing the gas because of rising prices. Officials say they might face civil penalties for violating the fire code.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Well, I'll admit to thinking about it, but I was planning on getting a diesel vehicle, and set up the tank fairly close to the pre-existing propane one in my yard.

Besides, at 500-1000 gallons, I should be able to get a minor discount.  Heck, I'd be the only source of gas in 30 miles, so I might be able to make a profit* on it.

*Have to be careful that I don't get considered a business and have to deal with all that crud.  Maybe simply state that I charge current pump price downtown/what it cost me as a favor for those that get caught without enough fuel to get to an actual station.

Manedwolf

• friend
Diesel is not gasoline. People have heating oil tanks in their basement, and it's safe. If you put a gasoline tank in your basement, your house would likely explode. See also "volatility", "vapor", and "FAE".

HankB

• friend
Diesel is not gasoline. People have heating oil tanks in their basement,
Some time back, a neighbor had a Mercedes 220D. He said it ran just fine on heating oil . . . which was at that time significantly cheaper than diesel, thanks to a lack of fuel taxes.

Locally, as I write this, regular gas is around $3.85, diesel is $4.50 . . . no idea what heating oil is.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
Weren't there safe ways to keep gasoline in large amounts?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
Some time back, a neighbor had a Mercedes 220D. He said it ran just fine on heating oil . . . which was at that time significantly cheaper than diesel, thanks to a lack of fuel taxes.

Locally, as I write this, regular gas is around $3.85, diesel is $4.50 . . . no idea what heating oil is.

AFAIK, you can be rather severely fined for doing that if caught. Something like a fine in the thousands of dollars, plus an IRS audit.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Some cars can be made to run on vegetable oil. THe stuff you cook with.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim

Outdoor storage tanks. A friend of mine buys his off a bulk truck and has the tanks out behind his storage shed.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Firethorn

• friend
Diesel is not gasoline. People have heating oil tanks in their basement, and it's safe. If you put a gasoline tank in your basement, your house would likely explode. See also "volatility", "vapor", and "FAE".

Thus the 'buts'...

An exterior tank is far safer than makeshift ones in a house, especially for something as volatile as gasoline.  Diesel is safer in most situations.  Yes, given my location I'm considering a tank, but theft is a potential issue.

Oh and if I set up a tank like that I'd also look into a good lightning protection system.

The Annoyed Man

In a well ventilated area where the temperature doesn't vary much, and where there are no sparks.

Manedwolf

• friend

Thus the 'buts'...

An exterior tank is far safer than makeshift ones in a house, especially for something as volatile as gasoline.  Diesel is safer in most situations.  Yes, given my location I'm considering a tank, but theft is a potential issue.

Oh and if I set up a tank like that I'd also look into a good lightning protection system.

No, you can not put gasoline in a house, EVER. It's just not an option unless you're suicidal. Outdoor elevated tanks or vented below ground tanks are the only way to store gasoline. Even putting a can of gas in a house is stupid. Only in a detached shed where it doesn't get too hot.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
And just think ... anybody can go buy gas without even a background check  shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Firethorn

• friend
No, you can not put gasoline in a house, EVER. It's just not an option unless you're suicidal.

I should of said 'tank such as the one pictured above'.  The elevated one.  I wasn't trying to give the impression that I'd have a tank of gasoline inside.  Nope, no way.

See the remarks like 'fairly close to the pre-existing propane one' and having a lightning protection system - only necessary if it's outside.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly

Pro-tip:  They're the exact same thing, but one (I forget which) has a colored dye in it.  If you get caught driving with a liquid of the wrong color, as Maned said, BIG fines.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

The Annoyed Man

AFAIK, you can be rather severely fined for doing that if caught. Something like a fine in the thousands of dollars, plus an IRS audit.

You can be fined for anything at all these days. Just refuse to pay.

Firethorn

• friend
Pro-tip:  They're the exact same thing, but one (I forget which) has a colored dye in it.  If you get caught driving with a liquid of the wrong color, as Maned said, BIG fines.

That would be the heating oil.  Along with 'off road' diesel and gasoline.

Oh, and from my understanding, while the heating oil will work in most diesels, it doesn't necessarily have the detergents/lubricants of engine diesel, so it might affect the long term wear of the engine.

Manedwolf

• friend

You can be fined for anything at all these days. Just refuse to pay.

You will get a fine and an IRS audit. If you ignore the audit, you will go to jail and assets will be seized.

Declaration Day

• friends

You're not likely to get caught if you use it for a diesel personal vehicle.  Semi trucks are a different story, as the contents of their fuel tanks are periodically inspected by DOT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
You're not likely to get caught if you use it for a diesel personal vehicle.

Our neighbors said that they have been stopped for a spot check in their Dodges  shocked

Personally, I think there is some sort of constitutional amendment (#4 comes to mind) against searching without probable cause, but what the heck do I know ....  angry
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
No, you can not put gasoline in a house, EVER. It's just not an option unless you're suicidal. Outdoor elevated tanks or vented below ground tanks are the only way to store gasoline. Even putting a can of gas in a house is stupid. Only in a detached shed where it doesn't get too hot.

Then what are these for? 

The place where I work has a shop in the basement, with a special room for storing gasoline and diesel.  Block walls, metal door.  Don't know if that meets code, or anything.  It's at least a couple of decades old. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend

Then what are these for? 

The place where I work has a shop in the basement, with a special room for storing gasoline and diesel.  Block walls, metal door.  Don't know if that meets code, or anything.  It's at least a couple of decades old. 

Storage of flammable liquids in a commercial or industrial building with adequate fume ventilation systems, or in an outbuilding like a barn or garage. Those are still sold and used. I believe you'd be severely violating fire code if you put that in a residence.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Yeah, that distinction would make sense.  Now, when I was a kid, we had the oxygen tank right next to the acetylene, in the basement.   cheesy   Fortunately, Dad put up an auto repair shop on his property, and they're in there, now. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife