Author Topic: I can has firing squad??  (Read 3908 times)

Bigjake

• friend
I can has firing squad??
« on: July 11, 2008, 03:21:20 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,380421,00.html

FOXNews.com
Indonesia Executes Man Convicted of Killing 42 People in Ritual Slayings

Friday , July 11, 2008

AP
ADVERTISEMENT

JAKARTA, Indonesia 
Indonesia executed a man convicted of killing 42 women and girls in a series of ritual slayings he believed would give him magical powers, his lawyer said Friday.

Ahmad Suradji, 57, was killed by firing squad late Thursday in western Indonesia despite a last minute appeal by Amnesty International, a U.K.-based human rights advocacy group that opposes capital punishment in all cases.

"He appeared resigned to his fate," said Attorney General Office's spokesman Bonaventura Nainggolan. "His final wish was to see his wife. We fulfilled this."

Suradji was arrested in May 1997 following the discovery of a body in a field close to this house in Lubukpakan, a village in North Sumatra province. Forty-one other corpses were later found nearby.

Police have said the victims came to Suradji because they believed he had supernatural powers. The victims were believed to have been seeking his help in making their husbands or boyfriends faithful, find a partner or get rich.

He lured them to the field and buried them up to the waist, telling them it was part of the ritual. He then strangled them and buried their bodies with the heads pointing toward his house.

He has told police he believed the 11-year killing spree would boost his magical powers.

Suradji's wife, Tumini, was also sentenced to death for assisting with the murders, but her sentence was later reduced to life in prison.

Belief in sorcery and the supernatural is common across Indonesia, especially in poor, rural areas where education levels are low.

Media reports said authorities were forced to cancel a plan to bury Suradji's body in a public cemetery because up to 100 relatives of his victims were waiting there, planning to disrupt the funeral.

As of Friday morning, his body remained at the morgue of a local hospital.

Indonesia resumed executions in June 2008 after a 14-month hiatus, when two Nigerians were put to death for drug trafficking.

Authorities do not release official statistics on the death penalty, but at least 112 people are known to be under death sentences in Indonesia. The time and place of executions are never made public before they occur.

According to Amnesty International, authorities are preparing to execute at least four other Indonesians. One of them is also a sorcerer, who was found guilty of killing 8 people. The other three are Islamic militants.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: I can has firing squad??
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »
If I was the official, I would have told the Amnesty International idiots that if they wished to stand in front of him, they could, but the squad would be firing anyway.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »
If I was the official, I would have told the Amnesty International idiots that if they wished to stand in front of him, they could, but the squad would be firing anyway.

Definitely.

I'm really at a loss trying to understand these Amnesty International nutjobs.  We execute bad people because they are bad people, why the hell do these goofballs seem to think it's their business to stop that?   Seriously, who defends a convicted serial killer!!??

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 03:28:15 PM »
Good idea. I can't express how much I hate Amnesty International. I was accosted more than one time by their minions of indoctrinated teens a few weeks back. The third time I was prepared to punch them for being stupid in public.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »

Definitely.

I'm really at a loss trying to understand these Amnesty International nutjobs.  We execute bad people because they are bad people, why the hell do these goofballs seem to think it's their business to stop that?   Seriously, who defends a convicted serial killer!!??
Because of too much wishful thinking. Idiots who believe that everyone can be cured/rehabilitated. Heck, I think we need to execute MORE people. Starting with rapists. Abolishing the death penalty was the biggest mistake we ever did here. Especially when we decided treason wasn't reason enough for someone to expose their neck to the Madame Guillotine.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 03:35:39 PM »
The Viking, you truly need to move here, we need more good men like yourself.

Because of too much wishful thinking. Idiots who believe that everyone can be cured/rehabilitated. Heck, I think we need to execute MORE people. Starting with rapists. Abolishing the death penalty was the biggest mistake we ever did here. Especially when we abolished it for treason.

Were that the case, the entire staff of the New York Times would be laying in a bloody heap in Central Park....  (Which would be appropriate).

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 03:46:04 PM »
The Viking, you truly need to move here, we need more good men like yourself.

Because of too much wishful thinking. Idiots who believe that everyone can be cured/rehabilitated. Heck, I think we need to execute MORE people. Starting with rapists. Abolishing the death penalty was the biggest mistake we ever did here. Especially when we abolished it for treason.

Were that the case, the entire staff of the New York Times would be laying in a bloody heap in Central Park....  (Which would be appropriate).
Believe me, I'm trying to get over, but it's rather hard for someone with only high school to brag about. Going to change that though. Some way. Engineering has a certain appeal to me.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 04:14:55 PM »
Well, good on ya then.  Is there anything in that process we (APS) could do to help??   Couldn't you get a student visa or something? 

I'll admit being entirely ignorant in the subject of How People Become Americans. Unless they happen to be Mexicans.  that process involves only a short swim and some welfare applications.  angry 

Either way, too far for you to swim. cool

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 04:41:42 PM »
Well, good on ya then.  Is there anything in that process we (APS) could do to help??   Couldn't you get a student visa or something? 

I'll admit being entirely ignorant in the subject of How People Become Americans. Unless they happen to be Mexicans.  that process involves only a short swim and some welfare applications.  angry 

Either way, too far for you to swim. cool
Nah, I figure that I first need some math classes, but I've got friends in meatspace to help me with that, after that, a preparatory year at a Technical College in Gothenburg, then if I graduate from that, I'm guaranteed a place in any engineering programme of my choice at that school smiley.
How to become an American citizen: Green Card first: Can be had in a number of ways, favored professions for example, say doctors...or engineers or whatnot. Marrying a US citizen, or winning the Green Card lottery (I've signed up two years in a row now, no luck yet). And a whole bunch of other ways. Somehow I'm going to make it though, preferably on my own merits smiley.
And yes, although I love to swim, it's way too far. I'd drown before I've got out of our territorial waters undecided.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 05:08:06 PM »
Well, when you do make it "over here", shoot me a PM and the Ammo and Booze is on me!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 05:27:30 PM »
Save up enough for a vacation in Cancun.  Get a good tan and come on up Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 05:56:02 PM »

or you could go that route.  Hasn't disuaded roughly 11-25 million illegals yet.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 06:06:36 PM »
No habla español...
(shame on me for that. took Spanish for 6 years in school. I can probably order beer, and not much more laugh)

Marvin Dao

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 06:39:33 PM »
Ouch, Green Card lottery's a pain unless you have relatives already in the States. Waiting for the inevitable amnesty bill and doing a bit of creative forging might just be faster.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 06:43:55 PM »
Ouch, Green Card lottery's a pain unless you have relatives already in the States. Waiting for the inevitable amnesty bill and doing a bit of creative forging might just be faster.
I feel that it would be rather rude to start my new life by violating your laws.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 12:26:58 AM »
I feel that it would be rather rude to start my new life by violating your laws.

Shame 12+ million sorts from South of the Border had no such ethics.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 12:55:10 AM »
I fail to see why this person deserves to breathe air. This does not however translate to an endorsement of the death penalty for drug trafficking.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 02:43:08 AM »
Thread title rules. 

Good for the Indonesians.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 08:37:44 AM »
Viking: can you find a willing American lass to "marry" you for a few years? Ironclad prenup and all that.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 09:48:06 AM »
Viking: can you find a willing American lass to "marry" you for a few years? Ironclad prenup and all that.
Depending on the state it may not even have to be a lass....
 cheesy
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 11:52:49 AM »
 cheesy

Under DOMA the US doesn't accept gay marriage for this purpose. I think.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 06:38:50 PM »
 cheesy

Under DOMA the US doesn't accept gay marriage for this purpose. I think.

Give it time.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!