Author Topic: WANT. Severely.  (Read 3912 times)

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
WANT. Severely.
« on: August 02, 2009, 03:26:27 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDbQ5xvsrIU

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtGQqPXDoZs

and, of course,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz4uqvy6wNg

I've been out of RC modeling for years, mainly due to money.  Seeing these makes me tingly and starts me bouncing up and down like a second-grader without his Ritalin saying "Gimme gimme gimme!"  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: WANT. Severely.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 03:43:19 AM »
Entry fees on  turbine R/C planes start at $10K, There was a 10' wingspan A-10 on Evilbay a while back with a reserve of $25K. Way out of my price range. I've got a 4' wingspan F117 that I'm eventually going to put a pair of EDF's into. price tag will be around $1K.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 04:03:51 AM »
What... what's the point of even having one if you didn't build it yourself?

(Last one I had was a Fokker D.VII made from scratch and plans)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 04:18:17 AM »
The 10K entry level price tag I listed was for BIY. A single engine small one. Turbines ain't cheap. IIRC, he lost money selling the A-10.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 04:46:14 AM »

... wow.

/whips out Dremel, box of bits, and a block of steel
//begins whittling a multistage turbine
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

Owens

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 08:22:44 AM »
Life Member NRA, TSRA

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 09:18:57 AM »
A turbine-powered RC helicopter.  Oh, the fun I could have conducting missions against the cat!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 09:39:43 AM »
A turbine-powered RC helicopter.  Oh, the fun I could have conducting missions against the cat!

Try one of these first

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 01:13:01 PM »
So what would be involved in getting a live video feed from one of these RC planes/helicopters, onboard sensors that transmit accurate flight info... and maybe little rockets with pop-its size payloads=D
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 01:29:55 PM »
So what would be involved in getting a live video feed from one of these RC planes/helicopters, onboard sensors that transmit accurate flight info... and maybe little rockets with pop-its size payloads=D

A guy in my ham radio club does that sort of thing, well, without the rockets and such.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »
It would be truly excellent if I could fire tiny Nerf missiles at the cat, particularly while sweeping in over the beach, well, carpet, on a strafing run while "Ride of the Valkyries" plays from the chopper!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 05:49:35 PM »
Try one of these first

Hey, bedlamite - you know about RC helis and so forth?  How does something like the one you linked compare to flying a larger-scale, "real" RC heli?  My stepson got one of those little ready-to-fly jobs for Christmas last year, and honestly, it's so frustrating that no one will play with it.  It absolutely WILL NOT hover, and there's about a minute-of-degree-of-angle difference on the sticks between a creeping-slow rise/forward/reverse flight, as appropriate, and bat-out-of-hell-put-a-hole-in-the-wall flight.  Now, his didn't cost $130, either - probably closer to $30, I'd guess, which probably makes a huge difference - but if the $130 job would actually be fun to fly, it might be worth getting one.

In a more-general discussion of neato RC aircraft, I've seen some phenomenal vids online (some of which you may actually have linked, for all I know - I'm at work now, and they frown on Youtube).  In particular, I've seen vids of a B-52 and an F-16 that, once they were airborne, you almost could not tell that they were RC.  Wingspan on the B-52 was huge, too, something like 15 feet.  I remember being sorely tempted by an RC Airwolf a number of years back, as well.  Same model they used for Season 3 of the show, IIRC (when they couldn't afford to rent the actual helicopter anymore and still needed aerial work they didn't already have on film).  Way out of my budget, though, for sure.  I've got too much else to spend money on, to get into that.

Kwelz

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 09:07:11 PM »
I miss flying  :( 

Owens

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 09:51:32 PM »
So what would be involved in getting a live video feed from one of these RC planes/helicopters, onboard sensors that transmit accurate flight info

May not be totally what you are looking for Nightfall, but it's a good start. Some video there too I think.

http://www.bergenrc.com/ObserverTwin.php
Life Member NRA, TSRA

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 10:13:41 PM »
erictank, at $30 you've probably got an air hogs. They don't have proportional control, it's a 2 stage switch. When they came out a couple of guys at work each bought one and wouldn't you know it, somehow it turned into a demo derby, only nobody could hit anybody else. The Eflite Blade is a whole different game, with a fully proportional radio it's very easy to control. With the co-ax rotor it's not capable of inverted flight, but a collective pitch heli is an order of magnitude harder to fly too.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 10:32:29 PM »
Maybe something like this, for fun (although $100): http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/a5b7/
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

erictank

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 12:59:15 AM »
erictank, at $30 you've probably got an air hogs. They don't have proportional control, it's a 2 stage switch. When they came out a couple of guys at work each bought one and wouldn't you know it, somehow it turned into a demo derby, only nobody could hit anybody else. The Eflite Blade is a whole different game, with a fully proportional radio it's very easy to control. With the co-ax rotor it's not capable of inverted flight, but a collective pitch heli is an order of magnitude harder to fly too.

Yup, on that site, the one David has looks almost identical to the Havoc heli - no IR blaster, though.  After much work, I got to where I could reliably fly it through a doorway without hitting the frame - how is THAT supposed to be fun?!?  Thanks for your response, and we'll be thinking about that Eflite. 

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 08:13:17 AM »
The Blade is also a 4 channel, left stick is throttle and yaw, right stick is pitch in all 4 directions. The Air Hogs only has throttle (up and forward at the same time) and yaw. It might help the air hogs heli  if you tape a staple or two to the nose, the ones I've seen all had the CG too far back.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:43:06 PM by bedlamite »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 10:15:15 AM »
I got my son a pair of knock-off air hogs at Menards for $30.  They lasted about a week.  Only took about an hour to get 'em dialed in.  The nice thing is that we have catherdal ceilings so lots of room to fly. 

We got pretty good at shooting each other down.

However once we turned to attacking the dog, they didn't last long.  They just weren't built to be chomped on by a beagle.  :O :O
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 11:09:50 AM »
May not be totally what you are looking for Nightfall, but it's a good start. Some video there too I think.

http://www.bergenrc.com/ObserverTwin.php
Pretty dang good start, I'd say. Little out of my "passing interest" price range, though.  =D
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 06:15:28 PM »
pitch in all 4 directions
The pilot in me hits your helmet with my kneeboard: PITCH is nose up, nose down. ROLL is left wing down/right wing down. Sorry to Knitpick.

TC
TC
RT Refugee