Author Topic: HVAC Help Needed.  (Read 3909 times)

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
HVAC Help Needed.
« on: October 30, 2010, 09:58:28 AM »
Had to flip the heater onlast night for the first time all year and haing some issues.  Since I am suing the mfg. of the house  due to a bad foundation it will take a while for them to send anyone out and so I come to y'all for help.  

The System is a Lennox cbx26uh-042-230-1 air handler (in attic)
and a Lennox 14hpx-042-230-10 heatpump (outside)
with a honeywell zoning system.

The A/C works great.  The heater isn't keeping up at all.  The Thermostats say Aux. Heat instead of heat and the outside fan is not turning on.  The house just cant get above 70.

I checked both thermostats removed covers and everything is wired ok. (well truth be told Every wire is hooked up, first time i have seen that on a thermosat where all wires are used instead of 6 or 7)   I flipped the breaker to the unit to no avail.

What can I check or look at until Lennar decides to send someone over.  The house is about a year and half old.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 10:03:38 AM by J.J. »

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: HVAC Help Needed.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 10:05:21 AM »
A heat pump system tries to make heat by running the a/c in reverse, and extracting whatever heat it can grab from the outdoor air. That typically only works when the outdoor air is "cool," not when it's "cold." Once the heat pump can't keep up, the system kicks on an auxiliary electric heating coil to make up the difference. If your thermostat is telling you "Aux," then you are in that mode. If the system isn't getting the house up to temperature, it could mean that the electric heat coil isn't activating when called upon ... or it could mean that the builder shorted you on insulation and the house is losing heat faster than the heating system can replace it. Were you in the house last winter? If so, did the heat keep up?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 10:08:26 AM »
there should be at least two breakers.  one for the heat pump/ac, and one for the air handler.  some have an auxilary heating element inside the air handler as well, so maybe a third for that.

is the heat pump running?  does the fan blow?  is everything working in a/c mode?  is there a seperate air handler for each zone?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 10:33:55 AM »
Everything worked last year...well upstairs was not as efficent but I think that is postion of the Thermostat.

I already flipped the breakers for the Handler and Compressor. A/C works just fine. 
The air handler fan is pushing air just fine.  The heatpump outside is not running though.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 11:02:30 AM »
Everything worked last year...well upstairs was not as efficent but I think that is postion of the Thermostat.

I already flipped the breakers for the Handler and Compressor. A/C works just fine. 
The air handler fan is pushing air just fine.  The heatpump outside is not running though.
What's the outdoor temp? If it's above 30* the HP should be running and should keep up. If it's below 30* the heat pump MAY shut off and then you go to electric strip heat in the air handler instead. Some HP will running all the time and call in heaters as necessary below 30*. First thing I'd check is there should be breakers and/or disconnects for the strip heaters. If it says "Aux heat" it means that the strip heaters are being used. If you're getting no heat it means they aren't working even thought the system wants them to. So make sure they have power. Then, if it's above 30* and the HP is not running there is something wrong with the HP itself. IIRC you live in a fairly mild area so me thinks HP is acting up. Have you tried putting it on "emergency heat"?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 11:26:15 AM »
Above 35. It's central Texas so not cold in the grand scheme of things. Yesterday was mid 80's. A.c. Had no issues.  Didnt think of intentionally turning on emergency heat.. Will try that when I get back home...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:57:02 PM by J.J. »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 12:13:44 PM »
hard to judge ac efficiency when its 40 degrees outside

I suspect a leak of the "freon"

When my HP was a year old i did not see Emergency heat on when it was 27 degrees outside
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 02:55:11 PM »
hard to judge ac efficiency when its 40 degrees outside

I suspect a leak of the "freon"

When my HP was a year old i did not see Emergency heat on when it was 27 degrees outside

A lot f times that's what it is. Then the unsuspecting homeowner is running electric heat instead of HP all winter and blames the HP for the ridiculous electric bill when it was just a simple service issue.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 03:05:55 PM »
Finally here.  Now to see what's broken.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 04:01:57 PM »
Claims it's a defrost board on the heat pump.  He was able to bypass it to make the a.c. come on that did not work for the heater.  So part will be ordered and a supervisor comes Monday.  Hopefully it's not gonna deviate from forecast (tonight low 46 tmw 60 then 50 then 40s wendsday).

I just wonder why he couldn't bypass the heat.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 04:12:15 PM »
I'll be damned. I'm told hvac warranty was only 1 year.  Looks like I will be paying labor minimum. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 04:44:46 PM »
So you've only got one full cycle of seasons to make sure it's all working right?

Crap.

I'd raise bloody blue hell over that.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 06:09:45 PM »
No electric strip heaters for emergency heat??  Ohhh, maybe not in Texas I guess. Up here it's a necessity.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 07:47:36 PM »
Lennox Merit® Series products
5-year parts
5-year compressor
20-year heat exchanger

Yep, the installer is the one that has to stand behind the labor.

I don't see many heatpumps to know what he might have jumped or tried to jump on the board.

Those little oil filled heaters do a pretty good job for one room. And they have wheels and they are light enough to move to another room.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG