Author Topic: Mexican UAV Crashes Across Border in El Paso  (Read 3920 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Mexican UAV Crashes Across Border in El Paso
« on: December 17, 2010, 07:14:34 AM »
http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_16875462?source=rss

Hey, now stop that sniggering while imagining just how a "Mexican UAV" might be constructed!

Read the article and note how obsequious are our federal masters to the MExican gov't.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Mexican UAV Crashes Across Border in El Paso
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 07:26:08 AM »
Well, it's not like we were looking at something filled with technology we do not already have.  (OK, tha's a guess.  But it's Mexico fer gawd's sake, not the eviill empire.)

But what they are doing flying spy kites over the border does raise all sorts of questions.  I am very curious what they have been surveilling and where that information has gone.  I also have some suspicions that border (pardon the pun) on the highly suspicious.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 08:17:27 AM »
Just a hunch, but I bet you they got it from us to begin with.
They were probably looking for all those gun show guns being smuggled into Mexico.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »
It's sickening the way people in "our" government appear to have fallen over themselves in order to return it to Mexico ASAP . . . if I had crashed an RC aircraft in someone's backyard, I wonder how long it would take me to get it back?

Some scenarios come to mind . . .

* A "probe" of our airborne border security . . .

* Test run for smuggling drugs via UAV . . .

* Seeking out a way to find a safe path for "coyotes" running illegals across the border . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 10:04:06 AM »
Mexican government is abbreviated GOM? Well, now we know who the GOMers are...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 10:12:32 AM »
I would have dissected it, datamined the information inside it, learned what I could from its construction, and used the parts for my own evil designs.

Maybe send it back across the border at max speed to nose dive into its origin GPS coordinates.   >:D  Aluminum-drone shower. =D

Keep your crap in your country, Mexico!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 11:07:14 AM »
The Mexicans probably bought it at a gun show in San Antonio  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:30:20 AM »
The Mexicans probably bought it at a gun show in San Antonio  :lol:
Probably not - no mention of bomb racks in the story.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 12:53:09 PM »
I confess to having started a duplicate thread before seeing this one. The article seemed to suggest that the "UAV" was or Israeli manufacture, but I wasn't clear if Mexico bought it from Israel or if we gave/sold it to them.

Micro, got any info on these little toys?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »
Don't forget the reports of Mexican military aircraft flying across our border and landing in support of smugglers...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 08:33:15 PM »
90% of all Mexican drones can be traced to US drone shops...

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 08:48:09 PM »
I confess to having started a duplicate thread before seeing this one. The article seemed to suggest that the "UAV" was or Israeli manufacture, but I wasn't clear if Mexico bought it from Israel or if we gave/sold it to them.

Micro, got any info on these little toys?

I posted about them previously. The company site claims they're a portable design intended to be launched by a small ground crew anywhere.

Why are we sure this was deliberate?

I know of a case where an IDF platoon - equipped with tactical GPS devices no less - accidentally crossed the Egyptian border, crossed the highway running along the border on the Egyptian side, and walked 200 meters into Egypt before someone called them back. I also know of a case where an IDF armored unit opened fire (!) on an infantry unit where they didn't know the unit was supposed to be there. There are precedents where Soviet special forces accidentally [!] deployed in Pakistan. Why could these people not have gotten off course? They're the Mexican military, I doubt they're the world's best navigators.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 10:33:11 PM »
I posted about them previously. The company site claims they're a portable design intended to be launched by a small ground crew anywhere.

Why are we sure this was deliberate?

I know of a case where an IDF platoon - equipped with tactical GPS devices no less - accidentally crossed the Egyptian border, crossed the highway running along the border on the Egyptian side, and walked 200 meters into Egypt before someone called them back. I also know of a case where an IDF armored unit opened fire (!) on an infantry unit where they didn't know the unit was supposed to be there. There are precedents where Soviet special forces accidentally [!] deployed in Pakistan. Why could these people not have gotten off course? They're the Mexican military, I doubt they're the world's best navigators.

All that is true.  There does happen to be a river between the two countries at that part of the border that might provide a hint...

Frankly, I would not be one bit surprised if it was bought by the narco-warlords and used for their purposes, or the Mex military users were working for the narco-warlords.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 10:51:51 PM »
Which is why I brought up the highway incident. :D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 11:20:08 PM »
90% of all Mexican drones can be traced to US drone shops...

=D =D :laugh: :laugh:
hahahahah that was great!!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 11:25:31 PM »
They're the Mexican military, I doubt they're the world's best navigators.

That's a sig line if I ever saw one.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 10:06:05 AM »
All that is true.  There does happen to be a river between the two countries at that part of the border that might provide a hint...

Frankly, I would not be one bit surprised if it was bought by the narco-warlords and used for their purposes, or the Mex military users were working for the narco-warlords.

Depending on where you are, the river isn't all that obvious.  While I wouldn't rule out malicious intent, I wouldn't rule out stupidity, either.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 11:07:33 AM »
Depending on where you are, the river isn't all that obvious.  While I wouldn't rule out malicious intent, I wouldn't rule out stupidity, either.

[X] All of the above.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 11:09:56 AM »
"Unmanned" in Mexican military terms probably means a woman was flying it....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 10:09:36 PM »
Ummm, if you mapquest the address where it crashed  
The drone crashed Tuesday on Craddock Avenue, near the intersection with Yarbrough Drive.

You'll see that it's maybe a good three wood from the border.

So chances are it was probably on their side when whatever it was happened that caused it to turn into an oversized paper airplane and glide onto our size of the fence.  Considering that these generally operate at a couple of thousand feet, crashing about 4 blocks in US territory looks more like a whoopsie, then ZOMG!! Pancho Villa is at it again !!!1111nineteenseventeeny.....

Sorry, take off the foil beanies and carefully stow them away until next time....
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 11:03:08 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 01:43:19 AM »
The simplest explanation is often the right one.  And the simplest would seem to be a boo-boo on somebody's part.
But I wouldn't put it past a cartel using a UAV to scout routes and BP locations.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 02:57:39 AM »
The simplest explanation is often the right one.  And the simplest would seem to be a boo-boo on somebody's part.
But I wouldn't put it past a cartel using a UAV to scout routes and BP locations.

Probably more like the Mexican Army/LE using it along thier side of the border when it wen Tango-Uniform, the glided/crashed on our side of the border.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 11:38:10 AM »
Probably more like the Mexican Army/LE using it along thier side of the border when it wen Tango-Uniform, the glided/crashed on our side of the border.

Well, maybe the mexicans are actually starting to do something to stop all those evil guns from being smuggled in from the USSA  =D

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 06:53:21 PM »