Author Topic: Guns and alcohol  (Read 3906 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Guns and alcohol
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:05:48 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-guns-alcohol-gunowners-risk-taking-20110615,0,5726706.story?track=rss

I have not yet read the actual article in the BMJ, but thought that the group here would find this summary of interest.  I suspect that socioeconomic status also correlates here. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Guns and alcohol
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 12:03:38 PM »
I am more than likely biased and such would be my opinion, but I really didn't take away much more from that very brief article than "gun owners are drunk driving murderous alcys."  *shrug* YMMV.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:11:14 PM »
I am more than likely biased and such would be my opinion, but I really didn't take away much more from that very brief article than "gun owners are drunk driving murderous alcys."  *shrug* YMMV.

This. And when they start off the article with a stupid cliche they think is funny like "Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger" it's kind of obvious that the article is going to be against gunowners...

F*** 'em. The gun owners I associate with generally aren't drinkers.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 12:19:32 PM »
These insights were gleaned from a survey of risk behaviors conducted under the auspices of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 1996 and 1997 and culled by Garen J. Wintemute of UC Davis.

Ahh, yes.  Wintemute.  No bias there, eh?

I suspect that socioeconomic status also correlates here. 

That's probably a good guess.  Intelligence tends to correlate to use of alcohol too.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 12:34:25 PM »
And the funny thing is I just got an Email from the NRA inviting me to join the NRA's mail order wine club . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 04:56:32 PM »
"There are lies, damned lies and statistics."

Mark Twain

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »
"A very large body of research tells us that people who abuse alcohol or drugs are at far higher risk of committing acts of violence and self-harm."

Man, I hope they didn't put too much time, effort or money into that research =|

I drink more than I should.  I do it so that I don't shoot people.  :lol:

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 05:54:25 PM »
Now if they would run the same study, but using only lawful gun owners.

In other words, just like most of the other statistics regardig guns and gun use, there is a failure to account for the differences between those who illegally possess/use guns and those who do so in strict accordance with the law.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

DonTron

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 06:08:35 PM »
I used to think that correlation implied casuality.

http://xkcd.com/552/

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 06:38:01 PM »
Watch for more of this. It will keep coming.

1994 was the high watermark for gun control in America, and it's been a downhill side ever since.

- Concealed carry expanding.
- AWB ended.
- Overall crime rates down, and appear more related to drugs, basic age demographics and not to guns.
- Supreme court and other federal court cases going our way.
- Columbine, VT, and more recently the Rep. Giffords shooting in AZ, NONE of which created any traction for gun control.

So now they have to try and make stuff up.

Like project GunRunner down in TX/Mexico with the ATF. Now under congressional hearings right now. (With almost no MSM notice, save for Fox news... interesting) Half of that was probably institutional incompetence. However you can't convince me that part of it wasn't just a false-flag operation to actually make the problem worse, make the gun owning public, and FFL's look bad, and try and spur the .gov to pass some sort of legislation.

Perhaps this is Obama's idea of "Under the radar".
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 06:49:50 PM »
I drink more than I should.  I do it so that I don't shoot people.

Yeah, I almost become a nice person when I've had a drink  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »
My problem is, that even if I drink some, I am still too intense for 99% of women. If I drink more, than I'm not that intense, but also drunk, which too isn't endearing.

Kind of a problem.. me dealing with women. They mostly scare too easily. Can't they grow some balls or something..  ???

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 08:58:32 PM »
I drink more than I should.  I do it so that I don't shoot people.  :lol:

Huh.  I shoot targets so I don't drink too much.

Clearly, there is a positive symbiotic relationship here. 

(Ok, I don't.  But if I could, I would.  And I realized a few moments ago that I need the skinny on ranges in my new locale.)

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 09:05:18 PM »
Huh.  I shoot targets so I don't drink too much.

Clearly, there is a positive symbiotic relationship here. 

(Ok, I don't.  But if I could, I would.  And I realized a few moments ago that I need the skinny on ranges in my new locale.)

If you ever make it to Camp D-Day, you will drink too much AND shoot a lot.  Not necessarily at the same time, or in that order. :P

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 10:59:11 PM »
I save my drinking for when it's gun cleaning time, although it is best not to get so drunk that you mistake the Hoppes for the bourbon.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 11:48:45 PM »
I do some things that involve certain risks.  (Guns, Driving, Machining, Auto repair)

I also drink now and then.  But, because of alcohols effect on me, I don't do any activity with more then very minor risk after drinking.  Alcohol consumption increases risk.  For already high risk activities, this pushes them into the unacceptable zone.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 10:53:20 AM »
"There are lies, damned lies and statistics."

Mark Twain

This study incorporates all of those....  ;/

I do some things that involve certain risks.  (Guns, Driving, Machining, Auto repair)

I think the definition of  "risky behavior" has been changing over the last few decades....nowadays, playing dodgeball or owning lawn darts are considered "risky behavior".....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 11:01:42 AM »
My problem is, that even if I drink some, I am still too intense for 99% of women. If I drink more, than I'm not that intense, but also drunk, which too isn't endearing.
But if you keep drinking, eventually the available pool goes up, because so many more women start to look good . . . and some of them are bound to have exceptionally low standards themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L62c5302pYY
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »
But if you keep drinking, eventually the available pool goes up, because so many more women start to look good . . . and some of them are bound to have exceptionally low standards themselves.

Picking up ladies: another risky behavior to avoid while drinking.  :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 12:46:32 PM »
Picking up ladies: another risky behavior to avoid while drinking.  :lol:

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 03:54:30 PM »
1862?
Should be more like 5862 B.C... beer is that old.

But if you keep drinking, eventually the available pool goes up, because so many more women start to look good .
I don't like to keep drinking... too much booze makes me feel some sort of weird pressure in my head, so I tend to stop after four or five beers.
Then, I have this weird idea that I don't want sex without love, so no one night stands for me.

Lawn darts? Wussthat?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 05:43:13 PM »

And what is BMJ's track record on accurate studies in this sort of arena? 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 09:33:18 PM »
This study incorporates all of those....  ;/

I think the definition of  "risky behavior" has been changing over the last few decades....nowadays, playing dodgeball or owning lawn darts are considered "risky behavior".....

Good idea. Rocket powered lawn darts. I got whiskey, beer and rocket engines. I just need to see if I can find those old yard darts.

It's got to be safer then legally owning a firearm and having a drink.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 12:03:24 AM »
Lawn darts? Wussthat?

I could tell you, but do you know what a google is?  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lee

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 11:00:04 AM »
I've been a hunter, shooter, and drinker for 35 years...as are most of my friends.  I don't recall any of us mixing booze and guns...EVER.  Not to say that we didn't have a cold beer (as in one cold beer) while guns were about, but we were never intoxicated or even close to it.  But let's face it, there are a lot of ignorant people in the world who are rarely sober, so anything else they do in life will be combined with alcohol and/or drug use, whether it's driving, shooting, making love, working, etc.