Author Topic: I hate Microsoft Word...  (Read 3906 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I hate Microsoft Word...
« on: April 25, 2006, 05:00:12 AM »
There, Brad, have at.

Oh yeah, Word sucks.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

CatsDieNow

• friend
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 05:05:46 AM »
I concur.  I hate a program that presumes to correct my "mistakes".

Nothing gets me to curse a blue streak like autoformatting.

mtnbkr

• friend
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 05:12:32 AM »
Quote from: CatsDieNow
I concur.  I hate a program that presumes to correct my "mistakes".

Nothing gets me to curse a blue streak like autoformatting.
You can turn all that off IIRC.

Problem is, most folks use it just as it's installed (just like Windows) and then bitch about it's faults.

I'll give Mike a pass on the bitching because he's a writer and Word does suck for creating large, heavily formated documents.  I ran into that problem years ago when I was a technical writer.  Of course, back then, I was using Word 4.0 and 95.  I haven't done much real work with Word since then.

Chris

Justin

• friend
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 05:14:29 AM »
Open Office

No bloatware.

No stupid talking paperclip.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 05:20:01 AM »
What Justin said.

My folks, computer neophytes that they are, love it and use it as their word proc & spreadsheet tool.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 05:28:33 AM »
"bitch about it's faults."

You mean faults such as using it's when it should be its? Cheesy

"You can turn all that off IIRC."

With a FEW exceptions, ALL of those "features" were turned off the second I first took my seat in this cubicle at this job.

What I'm facing right now is a situation where multiple people have worked on the same document. It is heavily formatted, and made even worse by the fact that every person who has worked on it has felt the need to create about a dozen new styles to add to the style list instead of working with the template styles that Word provides, or looking through the list of new styles added by previous authors.

There's absolutely no rhyme or reason to some of these styles. If it were not for the fact that it's almost 200 pages long, I'd blow the whole thing away and start from scratch, formatting it the way it should be formatted, all while doing a proper edit on it.

But, there's no money or time for that. I've been asked to fix the worst of the problems, which I'm doing in a manner that is guaranteed to add to the document's complexity and incomprehensible structure.

It's the kind of quick fix that I despise.

"Open Office"

Not an option.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 06:01:30 AM »
What I'm facing right now is a situation where multiple people have worked on the same document. It is heavily formatted, and made even worse by the fact that every person who has worked on it has felt the need to create about a dozen new styles to add to the style list instead of working with the template styles that Word provides, or looking through the list of new styles added by previous authors.
Sounds like more of a human problem than Office problem.  Back in the day, I spent a few days undoing that kind of crap on my docs.

Openoffice is neat, but it's not any better than Office other than the free aspect (scratch that, I do like the export to Acrobat function).

Chris

CatsDieNow

• friend
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 06:05:30 AM »
Yes, what Mike said.  Styles that reflow the text is what I hate the most.  The really fun part is when I can't completely undo the reflow because Word decided I really wanted caption text for my entire paragraph.

Most of the autoformatting I turn off as soon as I realize it's turned itself back on (network push).  Wish I could use something else, but work said MS, and we do Word.  I'd rather use Powerpoint for the picture-heavy training materials I am making, but I have been forced to use Word by management.

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 06:33:14 AM »
Save as text, reopen and format to your hearts desire.  Anybody remember the old Ctrl-dot interface of Wordstar....
O for the days of WordPerfect, FontPerfect and Dr-Dos and using Win 3 as a DOS switcher.
Brian
<><
:)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 06:36:57 AM »
It is a human problem, but it's also a Microsoft problem. In fact, it was a problem created by the humans at Microsoft.

Why?

Compare Word to WordPerfect.

In WordPerfect you have far greater command over the document using not styles (you can write styles in WP, but it's a lot more difficult), but simple formatting options.

WP's preformatted styles options are also not a pervasive (i.e., they don't have a cascading effect on subsequent sections of the document).

The ability to create new styles without regard to the overall document structure is, essentially, the big stick approach to formatting.

And here's the real, true, kicker. Ever try deleting a style from the style list? It can get real ugly real fast... Even if the style isn't used in the document, you stand a good chance of locking it up.

Then you have WP's reveal codes feature. It shows you EXACTLY what's going on in your document regarding formatting.

Word won't do that. In order to get a semi-clear view of what's going on with a section of a document you have to scroll through about a half-dozen view options, each of which shows a PART of the formatting structure, and even then it's not a complete view because there are some things that simply don't show up no matter what.

Then there's the absolute complexity of some of the command structures, for example chapter and section numbering and tying that to page numbers. The process to do that is so complex that it's not to be believed. WP? It takes less than 30 seconds to establish linked chapter/section and page numbering.

Then there's a nifty little feature about text boxes...

Did you know that if you add a caption to a text box, which you'd do to keep the caption and its accompanying illustration together in the document, it won't generate to the table of figures? Ah, but there is a trick to getting it to generate to the TOC. You simply have to convert the text box into a frame. Finding that information in Word help, though, is almost impossible if you don't know exactly what to ask it.

It's painfully evident that Word was created by programmers who never took into account how the program would actually be used, or the types of users who would be saddled with it. It's also painfully evident that MS has (at least until recently) done little in the way of listening to comments from actual users of the program.

One of the most requested features has been a reveal codes format similar to that found on WP. It can be done, there are at least two companies that offer add-on software that do a credible job of it, but MS has consistently ignored those requests and instead has developed their piecemeal approach to revealing formatting.

There have also been numerous requests to add a feature to the automated references section that will allow generation of an acronym list. That's very easily done in WP. In Word? It's virtually impossible.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 06:41:42 AM »
"save as text, reopen, and format to your heart's desire."

As I said in my previous message...

"no money or time for that"

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 07:04:53 AM »
It's been said, but OpenOffice.org.
I love it.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 07:47:56 AM »
Mike it sounds like your company needs a document control procedure. We generate a huge amount of paper for Sox compliance. Our doc control group developed a pre-defined format and it is strictly enforced. Deviation without approval guarantees your whole document gets rejected and you have to start from scratch (including getting various sign offs from department heads).

On the software side of it, Word does blow. WP was so much better. Oh for the days of the F7 key.

MS Excel has gotten to be just as bad. I get spreadsheets from people where they have added some oddball drawing or turned on the collaboration stuff, and it opens up all those special toolbars in my desktop. I then have to go and turn all that crap back off so I can work the way I want.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 07:56:51 AM »
"Mike it sounds like your company needs a document control procedure."

We have one, and it's largely effective. In fact, I'm largely in charge of it now that my coworker has moved on to another job.

This document, though, is not subject to those strictures because of what it is.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 08:53:18 AM »
Can't stand OpenOffice for any other reason that it is free, and I do like the export to Acrobat feature.  But I'll take Office anyday over OpenOffice, if cost is no issue.

And OpenOffice does have the stupid paperclip.  And the stupid autoformatting.  Just like Office, but just like Office the can be turned off.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 09:00:58 AM »
This document, though, is not subject to those strictures because of what it is.
In that case, I would suggest the large bottle of Excedrin.

cordex

• Administrator
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 09:02:13 AM »
Despite marketing garbage to the contrary, Word was not designed for advanced word processing and desktop publishing.  Word was designed for users to write letters to mum, high school research papers and (at worst) interoffice memos.  Then they decided to staple every feature they could think of to the sides and hope for the best and ended up with a nearly unusable interface for anything more complicated than centering bolded text.

Mike, why isn't OpenOffice an option?  Software restrictions?  It's not perfect by a long shot, but better than Word it is.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 09:09:09 AM »
Customer-mandated software suite and co-compatability with home computers.

Open Office is, in my experience with it, an open source Word clone. It has few features to recommend it if you already have Word, and enough Word features to condemn it.

I've also imported complex Word documents into Open Office.

The results were.... unimpressive.

Taking that document BACK to Word?

Fraught with danger.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 09:13:29 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Oh yeah, Word sucks.
Concur wholeheartedly! I'm a WordPerfect guy. Much more intuitive and flexible, and it handles custom paper sizes like I handle a Bud Light. Not to mention that the menu choices are more sensibly labeled and easier to find. I won't even go into how much I hate how Word reacts when you try to use graphics, graphs, or tables.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 09:46:36 AM »
WordPerfect...handles custom paper sizes like I handle a Bud Light.
You mean, after a long involved organic process better not discussed or demonstrated at the dinner table, it flushes them down the toilet?  Cheesy

Sorry, couldn't resist.

-B"if you can't do it in vi, it doesn't need doing"P
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 09:57:33 AM »
Quote from: BrokenPaw
You mean, after a long involved organic process better not discussed or demonstrated at the dinner table, it flushes them down the toilet?
Well, judging from my average beer-to-bathroom ET and my brother's running commentary on the frequency of trips, the process for me has nothing to do with either "long" or "involved".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

DrAmazon

• friend
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 07:19:03 PM »
I loved Word Perfect.  At one point I had a Mac that was a Microsoft Virgin-it did not have one single piece of Microsoft software on it.  It was wonderful.

But then Bill Gates got financially involved in Apple, and Corel stopped supporting the Mac platform.  Very depressing.  

My biggest Microsoft pet peeve right now is when I prepare a PowerPoint presentation on a Mac, then Windoze can't open it right.  It just ticks me off that the software can't correctly open its own product.  GRRR.
Experiment with a chemist!

brimic

• friends
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 07:26:15 PM »
No stupid talking paperclip.
I'm normally a fairly stabil and nonviolent people person, but the paperclip makes me want to hurt people, lots of people and lots of hurt.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

m1911owner

• friend
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 08:19:22 PM »
I remember The Paperclip.  I recall several years ago telling it to go away, and I haven't seen it since.  Smiley

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
I hate Microsoft Word...
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 04:39:00 AM »
One of the things I hate about MS Turd is that some things have to be done in a certain order (for no apparent reason) in order for it to work at least somewhat properly Sad

It helps if the stars are aligned correctly that day, too ...............
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin