Author Topic: Took my kayak out for the first time today  (Read 3907 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Took my kayak out for the first time today
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:40:24 PM »
I bought an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13' kayak back before Christmas.  Took a little while to get all the other safety gear put together.  Got a life vest as a gift for Christmas.  Finally was able to buy a drysuit about a week ago.  Met up with a guy from a kayak related forum earlier today for the maiden voyage.  We paddled around for an hour and a half or so, and spent some time practicing self-rescues.  Dunked myself 3 times.  First time I tried to get back on I managed to flip the yak over.

With any luck I'll be able to go fishing in the yak in a few weeks.  I got the yak entirely so I could expand my opportunities and effectiveness at fishing.  WA is pretty bad about access as most rivers and lakes have private property along the majority of the shore/bank.  So shore/bank fishing pretty much sucks.  You either can't get to the good spots, or it's nuts to butts with other fishers.  But with a boat you can put in at one of the public launches and then make your way to wherever you want to go.

I'll start with fishing some local lakes until I get more comfortable with the whole setup.  Then once I get an anchor setup I can hit the rivers for steelhead and salmon and maybe sturgeon.  With any luck I'll be ready to hit the salt when ling cod season opens up in May.

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Took my kayak out for the first time today
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:52:29 PM »
Looks like fun. I've always been intrigued by the idea of fishing from a canoe/kayak/tube, and would like to try it someday. It just seems like a simple, relaxing way to fish, just oneself, a rod, reel, and a few lures, lazily bobbing on the water and enjoying the outdoors without the noise and equipment of a big boat.
Andy

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:08:58 PM »
I've fished the jetties here in LBI NJ on my jet ski. Got some weird looks though.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 01:14:17 AM »
Wow, its really green and beautiful where you are-I'm so used to sage brush and sand I forget that trees really do exist.

Now you need a waterproof bug out bag in case of a zombie apocalypse
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 01:37:32 AM »
I've no experience with kayaks, but it seems you don't have much room for rod, tackle and other stuff. Why not a canoe or a jon boat?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 09:48:50 AM »
I've no experience with kayaks, but it seems you don't have much room for rod, tackle and other stuff. Why not a canoe or a jon boat?

Self propulsion is easier in a kayak than in a canoe or other type of boat.

I've only river kayaked, loved it and can't wait to get out there again this coming season.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 10:09:09 AM »
I've fished the jetties here in LBI NJ on my jet ski. Got some weird looks though.

Friend of mine from Virginia

http://jetskibrian.com/#awp::

He's gone way offshore with a buddy boat hauling fuel. 

Sump, there are some great YouTube videos on kayak fishing, especially along the gulf coast. 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
JJ - I've probably seen at least half those videos over the last couple months.  If you search on "kayak halibut" you'll probably see some videos from one of the guys on the other forum landing some hali from his yak.  Landing a hali is a top end goal of mine.

Well, it's you're fault if I don't have much room.  :D

Seriously though, there's 2 molded in rod rod holders behind the seat, a mount the previous owner put on for a fish finder, another mount he'd put on for a Scotty rod holder (in a good position for trolling), plus I have 2 more bases for Scotty rod holders that I need to decide where to put.  The tank well (a depression/flat spot behind the seat) is commonly partially filled with a milk crate that's used to hold tackle boxes and such.  Lots of guys also add some pieces of PVC as additional rod/net holders to the milk crate.  There's also a hatch up by the bow that can be used to store stuff like a battery for the fish finder, extra rods, etc. 

The newer version of my yak has a hatch that's right between your legs that is meant for storing rods, your lunch, etc.  I'm hoping to be able to upgrade to one like that, or a Hobie kayak with the pedal drive in a couple years.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 08:20:21 PM »
Saw my first wild Bald Eagle while goose hunting from my canoe. Heard him scream while paddling. Motor noise would have covered the scream. Fun stuff.

Never played w/ a 'yak enough to get the hang of it, but loved the c-boat.

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »
There was a bald eagle flying around for most of the time I was out yesterday.  It was pretty cool.  As we were getting ready to launch we saw it catch a fish.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 09:28:32 PM »
That looks like fun!  A bit more ocean worthy than my kick boat.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 09:41:37 PM »
That's partly what I got it (salt water capability that is).  Guy I bought it from has fished some gnarly conditions in it.  There's a guy on the yak fishing forum that lives in AK.  He's got a couple power boats too, one that's IIRC 18ft.  He said his yak is safer than that PB in rough seas.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 10:13:01 AM »
'Yak fishing is really becoming popular - to the point where there are a couple guides on my stretch of the coast who specialize in it. I've gone out a few times on mine - it's really great when the reds are in the grass and you can just slide in real quiet behind 'em. :)
Ben uses a float tube, and I'm looking forward to trying that too.

Sumpunz - I have a friend in Savannah who's a hobie kayak dealer and he raves about them.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 10:57:09 PM »
Saw my first wild Bald Eagle while goose hunting from my canoe.

How did it taste?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 02:25:24 AM »
'Yak fishing is really becoming popular - to the point where there are a couple guides on my stretch of the coast who specialize in it. I've gone out a few times on mine - it's really great when the reds are in the grass and you can just slide in real quiet behind 'em. :)
Ben uses a float tube, and I'm looking forward to trying that too.

Sumpunz - I have a friend in Savannah who's a hobie kayak dealer and he raves about them.

If I ever get out that way hopefully I'll get a chance to demo some of his yaks.