Author Topic: Rope starter for Tecumseh lawn mower  (Read 3929 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Rope starter for Tecumseh lawn mower
« on: August 19, 2013, 11:12:20 PM »
The recoil starter has gone out on my old lawn mower.  :(  Not sure what brand it is, but it's a 5.5 HP vertical-shaft Tecumseh engine, and it's not a Sears.  (MTD, maybe)  Pull the rope, and it doesn't retract, whether the engine starts or not.  The spring is not broken, but I think whatever the spring engages on the flywheel is worn off.  The engine still runs good even tho' the compression may not be all that high, and the deck still has a lot of life left before it rusts out.

Many years ago, my dad had several small engines that just had a pulley for a starter, and you wrapped a rope (with a knot on the end) around the pulley and yanked it.  The knot went in a little angled notch in the rim.  Wrap the rope around and try it again.  When it started, you tied the rope to the handle so you didn't lose it.  Don't know if they were Tecumseh or Briggs.  They might have all been horizontal shaft, and that might actually make a difference -- a safety thing.  (BTW, to kill those engines you shorted out the sparkplug.)

Any chance of finding a replacement pulley like that these days?  I don't want to buy a whole new starter for it... unless a whole new starter is like $10.

"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Rope starter for Tecumseh lawn mower
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:33:33 PM »
Plenty of small engine parts available from lots of sources, including Amazon. Get the model number off the engine or the mower (preferably both) and you should be able to find parts with no problem. Installing it? Depends. Some you could replace the rope with a couple screws and a pair of pliers. Others required complete disassembly and rewindng of the recoil mechanism.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:48:23 PM »
I'm looking for an exposed retro pulley with no pawls to engage it, and no return spring.  No idea where to find something like that, and the model number probably won't help much.

I should do a proper with the model number and see what the right modern pulley costs...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:17:16 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:55:58 PM »
I'm looking for an exposed retro pulley with no pawls to engage it, and no return spring.  No idea where to find something like that, and the model number probably won't help much.

I should do a proper with the model number and see what the proper modern pulley costs...

I'm not sure that you can even attach such a pulley to a newer small gas engine.

check here to find the right part, then go search ebay.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 12:13:20 AM »
I pulled the starter off my big tiller when the dogs wore out. Surprise surprise, the dogs engaged a pulley just tall enough to get about four wraps around it.

I don't remember what engine it has but it's not a briggs.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:33:59 AM »
Many years ago, my dad had several small engines that just had a pulley for a starter, and you wrapped a rope (with a knot on the end) around the pulley and yanked it.  The knot went in a little angled notch in the rim.  Wrap the rope around and try it again.

My old Cat had a rope starter pulley like that for the pony motor.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 10:13:32 AM »
All the small engine manufacturers got lawyeritis.  No more exposed nasty-spinning-flywheels-of-death for attaching you-windum starter ropes to.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 10:48:02 AM »
All the small engine manufacturers got lawyeritis.  No more exposed nasty-spinning-flywheels-of-death for attaching you-windum starter ropes to.

Brad

You can always tip it up and hand-prop the blade  ;)

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 10:52:13 AM »
You can always tip it up and hand-prop the blade  ;)

=D

A real man can do that with a chainsaw.

Brad
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 10:55:13 AM »
A real man can do that with a chainsaw.

Brad

Only if it is direct drive, or the clutch is froze up.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 12:14:50 PM »
My dog chewed the starter rope on my old mower a while ago.  No problem, I'll take it apart and replace the rope I thought.  The starter was pop riveted to the engine and welded together.  A new starter kit was like $75 for my POS home depot house brand mower that didn't work very well to begin with.  Underpowered and the angle on the bag was wrong so it would clog on even slightly damp grass.  I gave it to my neighbor and bought a new Honda.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 12:25:11 PM »
Only if it is direct drive, or the clutch is froze up.

Or you welded it up on purpose 'cuz that's how 'a Real Man duz things!!!  Heck, I us'ta start 'em with muh teeth justa keep the chain sharp.  Now I gotta go, some bears need fight'n...

Brad
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »
You got a Sawzall right?  You can do it yourself !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 01:51:52 PM »
Or you welded it up on purpose 'cuz that's how 'a Real Man duz things!!!  Heck, I us'ta start 'em with muh teeth justa keep the chain sharp.  Now I gotta go, some bears need fight'n...

Brad

Had a clutch spring break once.  I admit that it keeps you awake when the chain turns while cranking and idling  :lol: