Author Topic: Leaves: rake, mulch, let lie?  (Read 1339 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Leaves: rake, mulch, let lie?
« on: October 16, 2006, 02:06:31 PM »
We are well into autumn up here in NH, and my yard is thoroughly leaved.  I have never been one to rake leaves, and certainly not bag 'em, but I do try to mulch them with the mower.  But with all the trees I have around my house I think I may run out of grass to mow before I run out of leaves to mulch.

What do you do?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 02:11:51 PM »
Don't know what size yard you have, but mine's quite large, all landscaped.  I use my riding mower with mulching deck and tow a sweeper at the same time.  Picks up the scrap, and is already good to go in the garden.  For a small yard, I'd just mulch 'em up. Makes great fertilizer for the grass.....
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 02:35:24 PM »
I usually mulch mine with the mower until the major leaf drop occurs. Then I rake them up and take them to the city free leaf drop off, then they get turned into compost.

I have also in the past had a farmer that let me dump the leaves in a harvested field.

I used to burn my leaves in my garden and till the ash in; but the last two places I have lived they had burnign ordinances for leaves and brush.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 03:59:23 PM »
Our yard is full of giant trees, and there are literally truckloads of leaves this time of year.  I mix them in with the compost.  Leaves, by themselves, don't make good compost, but they add a lot of trace minerals from deep in the ground.

I've also tilled them directly into the garden.  Burning is OK here, but our soil is alkyline, and ash just makes it worse.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 05:47:41 PM »
Mow the first few weeks; bag the next few weeks (50 bags or so); blow the late droppers into the woods.
I used to ignore them to, until my grass started dying, and then the trees out back started dying.  Even trees won't stand up to 2-3 feet of leaves piled around them.  Raking leaves is about the only thing I don't like about Fall.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 02:36:23 AM »
I own a lawnservice company, and we mulch 99% of the leaves.  

We have a few customers who have too many leaves to recycle back into the lawn.  
In that case, we chop them down to fine pieces and blow them into a pile, then bag them.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 06:56:14 AM »
Over some years, grass cuttings and leaves that are left on a lawn will raise the elevation of the lawn.  This can affect the drainage after any heavy rain.  Just something to consider if your yard is sorta flat and the lawn is even with any garage slab.  Going-away water is better than coming-in water. Smiley

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 07:46:43 AM »
Mulch 'em.  Rakes are for reaching under shrubs to grab leaves...to mulch.

If you have heavy leafage, don't let it get over yon a...keep mowing that yard weekly.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 07:48:43 AM »
Where's the Tejon to tell us the correct, Northern, method of dealing with leaves?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 08:37:29 AM »
Leave the leaves and hope they kill the grass.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 08:46:06 AM »
I have two 70+ tall Cottonwoods, and a number of oaks in the back yard.  When the leaves fall, I uses a gas blower to round them up, and then I bag them.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 01:10:38 PM »
If you leave them on the lawn it will negatively impact your lawn.

If the negative impact to your lawn bothers you, the answer is to pick them up. Either with your mower, a blower, or a sweeper.

Mulched leaves don't do much for your lawn, and as another poster mentioned the sheer volume of them can change the water shed around your house.

I used to burn them. Now I am restricted to burning at times it is inconvenient for me to do so. The village has a giant vacuum that comes by and sucks them up if I move them out by the street, or I can pay 50 cents each for giant paper bags to put them in for the trash collector to pick up.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 03:08:05 PM »
Around here we rake or blow them from the yard and deposit them on the tree lawn. Then the city comes by a couple times in the fall and sucks them up with a huge vacuum truck for you. Depending on the city/town you may or may not be allowed to disopse of them in the trash pickup, without or without special bags.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 05:50:36 PM »
Rake.

It may seem counterintuitive, but you don't want to allow too much organic material to accumulate in your lawn or you'll be dealing with a dumptruck full of thatch removed from your lawn in a year or two because your grass is getting choked out.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 06:14:51 AM »
If you leave them on the lawn it will negatively impact your lawn.
It may seem counterintuitive, but you don't want to allow too much organic material to accumulate in your lawn or you'll be dealing with a dumptruck full of thatch removed from your lawn in a year or two because your grass is getting choked out.
Exactly!  The deader the better until I can afford to pave over it all.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.