Author Topic: Middle School teacher burns two U.S. Flags  (Read 3910 times)

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Middle School teacher burns two U.S. Flags
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 06:08:59 AM »
This one is taking on a life of its own.

News of flag burning circles the globe

Every body from our local congress critters to Al Jazeera have weighed in on this thing.

ONE-SHOT-ONE

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2006, 11:11:00 AM »
number one problem i see here is that a guy charged with teaching kids is to dumb to figure out that this action would cause him trouble sooner rather than later!
:rolleyes

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2006, 02:04:23 PM »
Quote from: Sindawe
 If you don't hate the country, don't burn our flag.  Just so you know, I do not support laws that specifically outlaw burning crosses or flags.
I actually think what the instructor did was pretty neat.  He certainly did spark that discussion he sought.  I like the idea that I live in a country that so treasures freedom of expression that one may even burn the flag.

However, freedom of expression is no promise of safety from the legal recourse of those whom your actions offend.  I'm all for the community being able to call for him being tarred, feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail.

Like everyone else Im outraged that some people dare and try to frame this as a fire safety issue.  Thats just such a weasily cop out to taking a side, or even understanding the various sides, of an issue.

I strongly disagree with flag burning, but I think its one of those disagree with what they say but defend to the death sort of things... and secretly hope they accidentally light themselves on fire (that was an awesome protest picture).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 05:06:28 PM »
Quote from: Ned Hamford
Quote from: Sindawe
 If you don't hate the country, don't burn our flag.  Just so you know, I do not support laws that specifically outlaw burning crosses or flags.
Hey!! That was me!

I actually think what the instructor did was pretty neat.  He certainly did spark that discussion he sought.  

I strongly disagree with flag burning,
This is looping insane!  If you strongly disagree with it, why do you think it was so neat?  How on earth is it OK to burn a flag just to make a point about free speech?  Are you people nuts?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 05:30:29 PM »
Quote from: fistful
This is looping insane!  If you strongly disagree with it, why do you think it was so neat?  How on earth is it OK to burn a flag just to make a point about free speech?  Are you people nuts?
I think that some of "us people" are capabable of recognizing that the protection of free spech applies (especially) to unpopular speech. If a person says nothing but what is popular then they dont need protection.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2006, 04:57:45 AM »
Perhaps you misunderstand, c.  I have already stated that I support the right to burn the flag.  What I fail to understand is why some people think burning the flag can be some insightful way to demonstrate free speech, rather than a statement of hatred toward the nation of that flag.  This is a simple principle: Deliberately mistreating the flag indicates hatred of the nation.  It cannot be done lightly as some sort of object lesson.  Anyone who spouts off with, "If they outlaw flag-burning, I'll burn a flag just to show them!" is a peavish, juvenile twit who is more concerned with his own anger than the freedom represented by the flag.  

There is no charge for receiving my insurmountable wisdom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2006, 07:57:28 AM »
Flags are pieces of cloth.

They have the meaning we imbue them with - just like words.

THere's different ways in which you could fly or burn a flag.

For example:

What if I make a film about terrorism and in the film, one of the actors burns a flag? That's surely okay.

What if I burn a flag while trying to make the point America is an evil, oppressive nation? Then I'm a moron.

If I burn a flag to make a point about free speech? Isn't this what the flag is supposed to stand for?

Yes, Free Speech covers all of those things.

But you can have free speech and still be a moron.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2006, 08:38:15 AM »
Quote from: MicroBalrog
Flags are pieces of cloth.  They have the meaning we imbue them with - just like words.
True enough.  A national flag is a symbol of that nation, and often of love for or pride in that nation.  Hence to burn (destroy) a flag symbolizes a desire to destroy that nation or at the very least to denigrate and disrespect it.*

What if I make a film about terrorism and in the film, one of the actors burns a flag? That's surely okay.

What if I burn a flag while trying to make the point America is an evil, oppressive nation? Then I'm a moron.

If I burn a flag to make a point about free speech? Isn't this what the flag is supposed to stand for?

Yes, Free Speech covers all of those things.  But you can have free speech and still be a moron.
This last is quite true.  

In the first case, I agree.
In the second, you may not be a moron, but you would be confused.  At least you would not be burning the flag while claiming it is patriotic to do so.
In the third case, yes, you would be burning the very symbol of that in which you believe.  

*Unless of course one burns it honorably at its retirement.  Duh.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2006, 10:16:50 AM »
I pledge allegiance
to the flag of the United States of America
and to the Republic
for which it stands

One nation, under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The flag - I argue - stands not jsut America - the nation, it's people, etc - but also for it's current form of government, the Constitutional Federal Democratic Republic (which is, that is, guided by the law set down in the constitution, subdivided into sovereign states, governed by the people and for the people, and republican in nature rather then monarchist or theocratic or whatever), and some people would argue, also the current government that holds power in America.

Now, it could be a flag-burner hates America, the nation.  Or he could be opposed to some of the aspects of the Republic (which is a legitimate political opinion) or even just to the current government.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2006, 11:37:53 AM »
Quote from: "fistful"
Deliberately mistreating the flag indicates hatred of the nation.
This is not precisely true.  This is a situation where intent figures highly into the equation, and therefore moves the whole debate into the region of "thought crime", where there be dragons.

Examples:  

1) Person burns flag in protest of America or its policies.  Material effect:  A flag is destroyed.
2) Person burns flag respectfully because it is worn out.  Material effect:  A flag is destroyed.
3) Person rips flag to pieces in protest of America or its policies.  Material effect:  A flag is destroyed.
4) Person rips flag to make a tourniquet in order to save a life.  Material effect:  A flag is destroyed.

In all of these cases, a flag is destroyed.  In cases 1 and 3, it is done with intent to express objection to the country that flag represents.  In cases 2 and 4, it is done with no such intent.  

(Note, I realize that 4 borders on a strawman, but it's there to demonstrate that it's possible to destroy a flag for a reason that does not include contempt for the United States).

If a flag is an object, it is in the realm of property, and may be treated as the owner wishes.  If it is a symbol, it is subject to belief and thought.  Those who are opposed to flag-desecration are not upset because the bit of cloth itself is being destroyed; they're opposed to the implicit statement of contempt it expresses.  And an expression of thought through action that does not harm the person or property of another must be protected as "speech" just as the spoken word is.  Why?  Because if we limit "speech" to spoken (or even spoken and written) words, then we (for example) exclude sign language from the protections of the First Amendment.

How is signing the words "I hate America" any different in substance from burning a flag to make that same statement?  

How can an act be legal on some occasions (burning a flag respectfully) and illegal on other occasions (burning one in protest) with such times being distinguished solely by what the person committing the act was thinking?

All of that said, it angers me when people descrate the flag in protest or disrespect.  But it's not the act of burning the flag that angers me; it's the statement that the person is making by doing so, and I'd be just as angry if they wrote, spoke, or used sign language to express the same sentiment.

Namaste,
-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2006, 12:12:05 PM »
BrokenPaw, I think you nailed it.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2006, 12:36:16 PM »
Quote from: Ned Hamford
BrokenPaw, I think you nailed it.
I think he missed it.

It was the most one dimensional argument I have seen.

In the case of the flag protester, he does not burn it in the privacy of his backyard.  He burns it as publicly as he can.  The net effect is to rile up those who see it, both for and against, as we have seen as this board.  Violence could and has ensued, and for good reason.  The flag is not some shmatta on a stick.  It is, as pointed, a symbol of America, its history, its people, and its way of life.  People have given their lives for those things, which the flag symbolizes.
Symbols are important.  People got upset (rightly so) when one person took two stick and put them in a cup of urine.  You could argue it was his property and so forth, but the intent was to upset people.
The person burning the worn out flag may do so in the privacy of his backyard.  He does so out of reverence for what the flag symbolizes.  Those seeing it will not miss the message.
So back to the teacher: was that really the most effective demonstration he could have given?  For the protester, is that the most effective way to deliver his message?  The answer is no, of course.  It is a thuggish medium used by people who cannot articulate.  This is why third world protesters use it, because the picture is universal and they cannot communicate in English.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2006, 01:52:35 PM »
I do not support laws that specifically outlaw burning crosses or flags.

He missed it completely.  I made clear that I was speaking of flag-burning as protest, and I never spoke of outlawing the same.  I have stated clearly and simply in this thread, more than once, that I do not support a ban on flag-burning.  

I do not support laws that specifically outlaw burning crosses or flags.

What I am arguing against is the inexplicable notion that one can burn a flag as simply a demonstration of free speech, without also making an anti-American sentiment.  Or the idea that one can burn the flag, as protest, and expect it to convey any other message than hatred of, opposition to, or disrespect for the nation as a whole.  Burning a flag is not a way to demonstrate against particular policies or politicians.  

I do not support laws that specifically outlaw burning crosses or flags.  Does everyone understand that?

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2006, 02:10:56 PM »
Quote from: "The Rabbi"
In the case of the flag protester, he does not burn it in the privacy of his backyard.  He burns it as publicly as he can.  The net effect is to rile up those who see it, both for and against, as we have seen as this board.
You're right, of course, Rabbi, and I apologize.  I forgot that "riling people up" was an acceptable reason to ban something.

And yes, Fistful, I understand that you do not support laws that specifically outlaw burning crosses or flags.  You stated that intentionally destroying a flag[0] intrinsically meant: "Deliberately mistreating the flag indicates hatred of the nation."  That's what I was responding to, by pointing out that this was not the case, and that to attempt to determine the reasons why someone would burn a flag bordered on legislating thought.  I wasn't talking to you in that regard, but to the people who think that it should be banned.  In this case, my apology for the misunderstanding is sincere:  I didn't mean to imply that you were in favor of legislation banning flag-burning.

-Namaste,
-BP

• Except under the inevitably-pointed-out case of respectful destruction
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2006, 02:21:07 PM »
Quote from: BrokenPaw
Quote from: "The Rabbi"
In the case of the flag protester, he does not burn it in the privacy of his backyard.  He burns it as publicly as he can.  The net effect is to rile up those who see it, both for and against, as we have seen as this board.
You're right, of course, Rabbi, and I apologize.  I forgot that "riling people up" was an acceptable reason to ban something.
And yes, Fistful, I understand that you do not support laws that specifically outlaw burning crosses or flags.  You stated that intentionally destroying a flag[0] intrinsically meant: "Deliberately mistreating the flag indicates hatred of the nation."  That's what I was responding to, by pointing out that this was not the case, and that to attempt to determine the reasons why someone would burn a flag bordered on legislating thought.  I wasn't talking to you in that regard, but to the people who think that it should be banned.  In this case, my apology for the misunderstanding is sincere:  I didn't mean to imply that you were in favor of legislation banning flag-burning.
I accept your heartfelt apology.  I know you've researched it and discovered that "fighting words" are not protected speech and burning a flag under some circumstances is certainly that.  Inciting to riot might be another reason.
I also know from your grad school work in philosophy that "legislating thought" is not the same as legislating action.  Governments certainly have not just the power but the responsibility to legislate action, either positive or negative.
Also your advanced work in American history has no doubt revealed that there has been legislation on flag etiquette for quite some time.  During most of that time no one's freedom of expression was stifled because he couldn't burn an American flag.  You are also well aware that political discourse was generally on a higher level and people enjoyed more freedom in those years, not less.

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2006, 02:44:49 PM »
Deliberately mistreating the flag indicates hatred of the nation.  It cannot be done lightly as some sort of object lesson.
That might well be the most clear interpretation, but it isnt the only one. For example, if someone were to burn a flag specifically in protest of a constitutional ammendment against flag burning, then hatred of the entire country is not part of the message. In fact, since our country currently allows the burning of flags such a protest would be one that seeks to preserve the laws of the land as they stand, rather than trying to change the nation.

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2006, 05:20:22 PM »
Shucks, I thought we had a good thing going with the thought control aspect.  

Putting it in light of incitement to riot... yarg.

With that reframing I think I'll have to withdraw my previous statements.

Also in that light, what an ass for doing such an offensive things in front of children.  Imagining if I was a parent I would be livid.  Focusing on the social aspect rather than the govermental (the outcry about fire safety) has altered both emotion and conclusion.

Sorry for being the dim bulb earlier

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2006, 04:30:05 PM »
I am well aware that some people burn the flag to protest certain policies.  I am not saying that any schmuck with a flaming flag must hate America.  The point I am trying to make is that, whatever the flag-burner may believe or intend, the ONLY messages he is sending by such an action are hatred of or disrespect for the nation of that flag.  If there is or was some other message behind flag-burning for some people, such meaning has been lost and there is no point in reclaiming it.

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2006, 05:43:13 AM »
I accept your heartfelt apology.  I know you've researched it and discovered that "fighting words" are not protected speech and burning a flag under some circumstances is certainly that.  Inciting to riot might be another reason.
Gosh.  And what is the threshold for what constitutes a "fighting word", as opposed to a word which, while challenging to people's temperament, is not truly pugilistic?

Incitement to riot?  No.  Incitement to riot is the intentional encouragement of a mob to do what a mob is already inclined to do.  Expressing a thought that people find distasteful, whether through spoken words, written words, symbols, or non-violent action, is merely that:  expressing a thought.  If a collection of people who witness an expression of thought are so lacking in basic discipline as to be utterly unable to bear the thought of not rioting, then they're not mature enough to be out on the streets without their mommies.

I also know from your grad school work in philosophy that "legislating thought" is not the same as legislating action.  Governments certainly have not just the power but the responsibility to legislate action, either positive or negative.
I like the subtle ad hominem suggestion that my education (or, as you cleverly imply, lack of it) somehow affects the validity of my argument.  That was very well-played.  However, since you (by your own implication, else it would have been hypocritical for you to denigrate my own background) speak from the high ground of graduate-level philosophical education, perhaps you can enlighten those of us given to mere pedestrian thought:

How are speech (a physical action that expresses meaning via auditory medium), writing (a physical action that expresses meaning via visual medium) and sign language (a physical action that expresses meaning via visual medium) protected as sacrosanct, while flag-burning, (a physical action that expresses meaning via visual medium) is not protected?

Perhaps, since this issue is beyond my limited ability to grasp, you will limit your explanation to the last two examples (sign language and flag-burning), since they are both examples of actions that express a thought.  

Oh, and in case you missed it, I was not suggesting that there are laws that prohibit particular thoughts.  I was talking about the fact that legislation exists that regulates action based solely upon what the perpetrator was thinking.   If an action is illegal under any and all circumstances, freedom of thought is preserved; the action itself is the prohibited thing.  But when an action is legal under some circumstances, and illegal under others, and the only thing that divides one set of circumstances from the other is what the perpetrator was thinking...well, then.  It's not the action that's being regulated...it's the thought behind the action.  But one of august thought will have already grasped that basic semantic distinction.

Also your advanced work in American history has no doubt revealed that there has been legislation on flag etiquette for quite some time.  During most of that time no one's freedom of expression was stifled because he couldn't burn an American flag.  You are also well aware that political discourse was generally on a higher level and people enjoyed more freedom in those years, not less.
Again with the ad hominem.  Impressive.  I'll give you another bit of gratuitous Latin:  ad nauseam.  Feel free to stop impugning my level of education at any time, until such time as you actually have some knowledge of it.

Yes, there has been legislation on flag etiquette for some time.  There has been legislation on many subjects for many years.  Are you going to now fall back on the tired "it's against the law, it must be bad" canard?  I can think of plenty of malum prohibitum activities we could also discuss.

No one's freedom is curtailed when they intrinsically have no desire or ability to do the thing that is prohibited.  Few people would get bent out of shape if there were a law against levitation, because few people have the desire to try, and fewer still have the ability to accomplish it.  And yet, were someone to actually do it, would it be wrong for them to have done so?  Just because it was prohibited?  Just because the fact that they had flew in the face of everything that the people watching believed about physics?

For the remainder of this debate, Rabbi, I would appreciate it if you would limit your discourse to the subject at hand, and not cover the weakness of your position by casting aspersions at me and my education, however carefully you cloak them in sarcasm.

If you can't argue the topic on its merits alone, take your toys and go home.

-BrokenPaw

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2006, 07:14:08 AM »
Those who live by the sarcasm, die by the sarcasm.

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2006, 07:21:00 AM »
Sarcasm is fine.  Just please don't continue to use it to mask personal attacks.  Thanks.  

-BP

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2006, 05:50:05 AM »
Follow up to my original thread.

After spending a few months in "administrative duties" waiting for the controversy to die down. The teacher was given a 5 day unpaid suspension, and allowed to quietly return to the classroom yesterday.

Flag burning teacher back in class

Flag-burning teacher back in class
Officials gave man 5-day suspension

By Chris Kenning
ckenning@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

A Stuart Middle School teacher is back in the classroom after receiving a five-day unpaid suspension for burning two U.S. flags as part of a lesson on free speech.

Teacher Dan Holden's Aug. 18 demonstration "created an unsafe environment" and violated district safety rules, according to investigation findings released yesterday by Jefferson County Public Schools.

Neither the report nor a disciplinary letter on the suspension that ended Oct. 4 discusses whether the lesson was appropriate for middle school children.

"It's not the kind of demonstration we would hope that a teacher would choose. & We're not questioning his constitutional rights," said Carolyn Meredith, director of employee relations. "But we do have real concerns about students' safety."

Holden -- who told administrators he was trying to engage students, not make a political statement -- could not be reached for comment yesterday and has not talked publicly since he was removed from the classroom.

Holden burned two 18-inch flags over a trash can during separate classes, one with 30 students and another with 24 students. He told investigators he had a fire extinguisher and wet towels nearby.

Last month, prosecutors decided that Holden's actions did not rise to the level of criminal endangerment charges.

Patrick Bissig, whose daughter was in one of the classes, said he thinks the district's discipline was adequate. He said students and parents seem content with Holden's return to class. "The issue was dealt with, and the message was sent & there are better ways to get your point across," he said.

Ginny Adwell, the school's PTA president, said she also backs the district's decision and said furor over the issue has largely died down.

Brent McKim, president of the Jefferson County Teachers Association, said he wasn't familiar with the details of the findings but was glad officials didn't attempt to fire Holden.

Holden told investigators he was trying to provoke students to think about free speech, discuss it with their parents and pen an editorial for their writing portfolios.

But the incident outraged some parents and others, making headlines from CNN to The Drudge Report. The district was deluged with calls and e-mail messages.

Holden was placed on noninstructional duties before his suspension. In a disciplinary letter from the district, Stuart principal Jennifer Colley said that future violations could result in more severe discipline or termination.

Kentucky has a statute last amended in 1992 making desecration of a national or state flag in a public place a misdemeanor, but the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that flag desecration is protected speech.

Congress has tried unsuccessfully to prohibit flag burning with a constitutional amendment. The latest attempt failed this year.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2006, 07:56:25 AM »
Losers like him ought not be welcome in polite society.

Which is why, I guess, he is in the public school system.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2006, 08:48:15 AM »
Hehehe.

It seems to me quite amusing that there are so many native-born that "hate America" for whatever rubbed them the wrong way, while there are billions out there desperately wishing to come to us and live in "this very bad America". Methinks the America-haters should take a spin or two around the globe, but at a leisurely pace, and explore something beyond the tourist enclaves in each social gutter.

As to freedom of speech, try saying something nonPC at work and see how that works out. There are double-plus regulations about good-speak, and any infringement can get you fired faster than you can blurt out your favorite slur.

Dave

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2006, 06:05:46 AM »
It was not a political statement and was meant to illustrate a controversial issue.
Apparently it worked, and probably "illustrated" the issue better than he expected.