Author Topic: Cordless tool combination kit recommendations  (Read 3919 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Cordless tool combination kit recommendations
« on: June 08, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »
Many years ago, I received a Black and Decker 14.4 Firestorm cordless tool kit, and it was good for light handyman work around the house.  It uses 14.4 ni-cad batteries.  The last battery out of four has died off, and I am pondering if it is time to move up to newer tech, such as a lithium rechargeable set. 

Does anyone have any insights as to a good brand these days?  This is going to be used for weekend DIY and I have come to see these tools and batteries as disposable after a few years, so I am thinking that I don't need a DeWalt or Makita contractor set.  I would be looking for a drill, impact driver, circular saw and reciprocating saw.

I see that Kobalt, Porter-Cable, Ryobi, Rigid and Skil seem to be popular in the $ 300 or so price point that I am looking at.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: Cordless tool combination kit recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »
Lithium might be overkill for light weekend duty.  At work our 20V DeWalt lithium impact guns would run about 6 hours before needing a battery swap while slinging together a greenhouse.  Circular saws, on the other hand, only last about 40 minutes if you're cutting a lot.

NiMH kinda sits in the gap between NiCd and Lithium Ion. 

If you were feeling adventurous you could rebuild the NiCd packs with NiMH cells.  It's probably just a series of 12 AA buttonless batteries in there and NiCd chargers work just like NiMH.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 07:08:29 PM »
I was chatting with another guy at the bicycle club ride today, and he swears by the 18 volt lithium Ryobi system.  He says that in addition to power tools, Ryobi has a line of lawncare tools that use the same battery pack.  I have a 40 volt Ryobi lithium weedwhacker and edger that works really well for me, but the battery pack is so large and heavy that I bet they don't make power hand tools for that size of pack.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 07:24:21 PM »
I have a 15 year old Milwaukee 18 volt  kit  that has held up to abuse. Went through some batteries. You can get a cheap now and you can upgrade them to lithium . The battery connection matches

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 07:34:26 PM »
Lithium might be overkill for light weekend duty.

No way. Battery lifespan is much longer in Li-ion batteries than Ni-Cd or Ni-MH in storage. I wouldn't even consider Nickel anymore.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 07:50:34 PM »
My neighbor convinced me to try lithium power tools.  He was right, lithium rocks. I likely won't buy nicad or nimh again.

My go to cordless drill is a dewalt 20v model, it's been great!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »
Unless you find a killer deal on used/discount table or are adding to a collection that take the same batteries go lithium. It's worth the extra couple of bucks in terms of use and future proofs it a little bit longer as it becomes more the go to standard.

Of the brands listed I'd go Porter Cable or Ryobi.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 09:04:50 PM »
Rigid all the way.

Last week they rebuilt my cordless drill, in its entirety.  I'm pretty sure the only original parts I got back were the plastic housing pieces.  New motor,  switch, aperture, chuck,  the works. 

Cost of the work?  Nada.  For the second time.  ( 8 year old drill)

Love the thing,  and it shares batteries with a cordless impact,  reciprocating and circular saws, big flashlight and radio.

Hell,  first time I sent my drill in,  they cleaned it,  declared it fixed, and sent me a new battery,  as that was what they determined the problem to be.  all covered under warranty,  in under a week.  

You might say I'm a fan.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:08:26 PM by Bigjake »

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
Double tap

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 09:45:06 PM »
I bought my daughter a 12V Milwaukee lithium drill/driver and 1/4" impact set for Christmas.  It's small and light, but not too light.  I was really impressed with how well the little impact works driving screws into hard wood w/o stripping out the phillips slots.
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 10:16:40 PM »
Landlady's SO brought down his 3 peice set of 2 power drills and a power screw driver. They were Dewalt with lithium batteries that interchanged between all three tools. These were just the mini ones, for small projects and around the house.
I belive the same batteries will run a flashlight and some other tools.
We used them to build the porch deck and install four windows and a door.

If the little lithium battieries go as long as these suckers did, I imagine the big ones will really do some work.

Anyway, I was highly impressed with the Dewalts. We have a Black and Decker corded drill that has been pretty bullet proof as well, but the Black and Decker mini set (one battiry for multiple tools) that Eric has doesn't seem quite as hardy as the Dewalt set.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Re: Re: Cordless tool combination kit recommendations
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 11:17:31 PM »
I've been pleased with mu Ryobi 18+1 set. Recently made the transition to lithium. I have the sawsall, drill, hammer drill, jigsaw, leave blower, 1/4 impact, weedwacker, and hand vac. Don't bother with the hand vac and the jigsaw. The rest have been great. The 1/4 impact is my goto tool instead of a drill. Just get a good selection of bits.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 01:48:29 AM »

You are not buying a drill- you are buying batteries... check the replacement costs. I have a line of dead impact drivers and drills on my shelf-more specifically, dead Ni cad battery packs,-. . DeWalt, and Hitachi, mostly. Some I had rebuilt, they lasted a year or two.  the tools are fine- I am just tired of buying batteries. So-

I just bought some lithium powered drills, drivers,  etc- the  advantage of Li ion batteries is they stay charged much longer when they are not being used. This is huge if the tool tends to sit for some time between uses.
 I wish there was some way to convert the old ni cad packs to li ion- !

erictank

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 08:33:43 AM »
Lithium might be overkill for light weekend duty.  At work our 20V DeWalt lithium impact guns would run about 6 hours before needing a battery swap while slinging together a greenhouse.  Circular saws, on the other hand, only last about 40 minutes if you're cutting a lot.

NiMH kinda sits in the gap between NiCd and Lithium Ion. 

If you were feeling adventurous you could rebuild the NiCd packs with NiMH cells.  It's probably just a series of 12 AA buttonless batteries in there and NiCd chargers work just like NiMH.

I have one of Home Despot's Ryobi 18V kits, the one that came in the big plastic table-saw cube stand on wheels. Table saw mounted to the top, circ saw (7.5"? Not a big one, by any means), reciprocating saw, drill, and flashlight inside, and it came with (IIRC) 1 NiMH battery and a charger. I ended up getting a LiIon charger and 2 batteries later. The LiIons last perhaps 10 minutes of near-continuous use in the reciprocating saw; rather longer in the circular or table saws and longer still in the drill.

Not the greatest set in the world. Having said that, I've owned it for most of 10 years now and it all still works.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 08:51:17 AM »
My 18 volt Dewalt kit is about a decade old and is still going strong (except for the original batteries).

It has the sawzall, small circ saw, light and hammer drill. I also own the small shop vac.

As has been pointed out, battery technology has progressed and lithium is the way to go.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 09:55:01 AM »
Lithium is definitely the way to go.  I have an 18v Skil set that includes a drill/driver, palm sander, jigsaw, and a flashlight (long since tossed as it was a POS).  The set came with a nicad, which worked well enough the first couple years, but then wouldn't hold a charge, meaning the tool wasn't available unless I planned ahead and charged the battery.  It would work fine for most tasks when fully charged though.  When I finally got frustrated with the battery, I bought a lithium upgrade rather than replacing the set because it had tools I wanted.  Most other sets have circular saws, saber saws, etc, that I don't need in a cordless kit. 

The new lithium battery is much lighter, charges faster, and holds a charge.  It even has an indicator light to show me the current charge level.  I need to pick up another battery or two so I don't have to swap batteries between the three devices.

Chris

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 10:03:43 AM »
Screw it; I want gasoline powered tools until some mfr has the guts to make battery packs that can be refilled with bulk-purchased 18650s using no more specialized tooling than a #2 Phillips.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 10:04:49 AM »
I've been trying to decided between a cordless drill/saw combo or just buy a little gas generator ....   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
I've been trying to decided between a cordless drill/saw combo or just buy a little gas generator ....   =|

If you need the saw, get the generator.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 10:13:04 AM »
Screw it; I want gasoline powered tools until some mfr has the guts to make battery packs that can be refilled with bulk-purchased 18650s using no more specialized tooling than a #2 Phillips.

Here ya go
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 10:13:39 AM »
I've had this drill for 9 years and never a problem.

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/index/main-navigation/tools.aspx?d=2,21&p=512

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 10:20:12 AM »
When I finally got frustrated with the battery, I bought a lithium upgrade rather than replacing the set because it had tools I wanted.  Most other sets have circular saws, saber saws, etc, that I don't need in a cordless kit. 

Chris

Please to be explaining. You just did a straight swap to Lithium and everything worked fine? Is it a newer set? I've been wanting to move my DeWalt 18V stuff to Lithium but am heavily invested in the NiCad set and didn't want to buy an entire new set while these tools still rock. I'd be totally down for just buying Lithium batts.

On the saws - I use the circular saw almost as much as I use the drill. Mostly up on the farm where it's nice not to have to drag a 100' of cable around or else a generator. I hate the flashlights that come with the kits. It seems that's just a way for the manufacturers to get an extra fifty bucks out of people for something worth five dollars IMO.

I also have an 18V Ryobi set a buddy got me for Christmas years ago. I've mostly just used the drill, but quality is very good. I mostly use my DeWalt stuff because I have more batteries for it, but keep the Ryobi kit because I would feel bad selling an Xmas present and the buddy would probably take it kinda hard if he visisted and the tools were gone.

I bought my dad a 14V Rigid drill probably going on 18 years ago now. Unbelievably, it's still on the original two batteries (I don't think it makes it more than 20min per charge anymore, but still). He actually uses it more than the DeWalt drill I keep up there because of the lighter weight. I'm super impressed with how well it's held out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »
I sprang for the Hitachi cordless Lithium Ion drill/flashlight kit from Lowes last year. Think I got it on sale for $99 or something. http://www.lowes.com/pd_300255-67702-DS18DSAL_0__?productId=1243875&Ntt=hitachi+drill&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dhitachi%2Bdrill&facetInfo=

Friend of mine has one. We used it to do some work on his house and I was very impressed with its power. The torque was enough to sprain my wrist once when I wasn't paying attention.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 10:23:55 AM »
If you need the saw, get the generator.

Yeah - the Stihl is okay on lumber but a little rough on plywood  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 10:28:15 AM »
Yeah - the Stihl is okay on lumber but a little rough on plywood  :lol:

Get a smaller kerf  :rofl:

Uranus is a gas giant.