Author Topic: Cordless tool combination kit recommendations  (Read 3918 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Cordless tool combination kit recommendations
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »
Please to be explaining. You just did a straight swap to Lithium and everything worked fine? Is it a newer set? I've been wanting to move my DeWalt 18V stuff to Lithium but am heavily invested in the NiCad set and didn't want to buy an entire new set while these tools still rock. I'd be totally down for just buying Lithium batts.

Yup.  I did have to buy a new charger (works for NiCad and Lithium batteries), but on the tool side, the batteries are interchangeable.  I got the tools on sale 6-7 years ago and paid about $50 for the set.  Lithium was an optional upgrade at the time, but I used the NiCad until it wore out.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 10:33:22 AM »
Yup.  I did have to buy a new charger (works for NiCad and Lithium batteries), but on the tool side, the batteries are interchangeable.  I got the tools on sale 6-7 years ago and paid about $50 for the set.  Lithium was an optional upgrade at the time, but I used the NiCad until it wore out.

Chris

Awesome- thanks! I'm off to Amazon to get one right off the bat. Then I can start swapping as the NiCads wear out. Sweet.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 12:26:30 PM »
My 30-yo Makita 9.6V cordless drill still works great.  I did have to replace the original battery 5 or 6 years ago.  I also have a more modern variable-speed Makita 9.6V that uses a different style NiCad battery but the same charger.  If I ever need to buy batteries again, I hope to change-over to NiMH.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 05:36:45 PM »
Based on the input here, chatting with other knowledgeable people, reading reviews and making lunch-time runs to Lowe's and Home Depot, I ended up with this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-ULTIMATE-Combo-Kit-6-Tool-P884/203466936 at $ 325 out the door.

For the price point I was looking for, this kit gave me the largest number of acceptable-quality tools, two of the latest-generation batteries, an intelligent charger, and at a savings compared to buying the tools piecemeal.  A bonus was the large number of other power and lawn tools that take the same battery pack.  The Rigid did not have the tools I was looking for and the Ryobi seemed better quality than the Kobalt and Porter-Cable sets.  I lusted after the DeWalt large combo set, but could not justify my needs as needing a $ 600 tool kit.

I have much better hopes for the lithium battery packs as opposed to the NiCad packs that go bad just sitting there, even with periodic charging.

PS: The HD associate told me that Ryobi is a sister company of Rigid and makes the cordless power tools under that name as well.  I was surprised that Rigid had so little in the way of combo kits, then.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 05:40:59 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 05:57:02 PM »
FYI, two things that kills lithium batteries are heat and running them completely dead:
Above body temp is too warm, let it cool down and use a different pack.
Drain them below a certain threshold and they will never be the same again.

Long term storage is best with about half to 2/3 charge on them. They also don't need to be fully charged every time, they have no memory.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 10:40:17 PM »
Man, I cannot believe that I made to my mid 50's before I discovered impact drivers and what they can do.  Amazing.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 09:58:26 AM »
Man, I cannot believe that I made to my mid 50's before I discovered impact drivers and what they can do.

Do you really need that many bolts snapped off?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 11:09:03 AM »
Do you really need that many bolts snapped off?

Millcreek is referring to the (I presume) 1/4" drive battery-power impact driver, not a monster air tool.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 11:10:36 AM »
^^^ Exactly.  It works so much better than a driver/drill.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2014, 02:55:22 PM »
1/4 inch impacts rule. Get the mega bit set and you will be looking for a project just so you can use the impact.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 03:16:47 PM »
1/4 inch impacts rule. Get the mega bit set and you will be looking for a project just so you can use the impact.

Oh, so I'm not supposed to use the 110V impact and a stack of adapters to tighten scope mounts?