Author Topic: Online retailer with massive attitude problem  (Read 3908 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Online retailer with massive attitude problem
« on: January 19, 2007, 09:49:15 AM »
No comment and no opinion (not that I don't have them, just won't express them here).

A link for your viewing displeasure.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/apo.asp

angry

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: Online retailer with massive attitude problem
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 09:55:29 AM »
A poor business decision, for sure.  However a business owner has no obligation to sell his products or services to anyone.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 10:07:18 AM »
But everyone else is free to widely broadcast their decision, so it works out.

They can officially change their name to "hippy-mat.com"
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 10:34:28 AM »
I suspect they will be regretting their decision and poor choice of words once this gets around.  I sense a free shipment of mats to Iraq in their future.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 10:44:38 AM »
Now, what is everyone here going to do?

Repeat after me: e-mail them and phone them. A lot. Nope. More. MORE!

Blog under construction

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 11:34:09 AM »
Local radio host Mark Belling talked about this today on his radio show. He is the #1 radio host in Milwaukee for his time slot.

If Belling is getting involved the owner's of that company better leave the state.  laugh
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 11:37:43 AM »
How rude.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

jake7457

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 11:48:30 AM »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 12:55:13 PM »
I can't believe anyone would describe this as rude.  Rude just doesn't express it.  I don't know the right word, either.  Baffling will do for now. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 04:47:08 PM »
They should have called on the phone. The person from the email may be some young intern punk that will be summarily slapped down by the management.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 05:43:54 PM »
I don't know the right word, either.

Perhaps chutzpah?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 05:57:11 PM »
 angry shocked

I am amazed that a company would flat out in this day and age say something like that about the military.  Say what you like about the policy of the people in power that sent us over here.  But to say something to the effect that we chose to be here is assinine.  I know that some companies will not ship to APO or FPO due to the extra paperwork and hassle to make those shipments.
I know that with the attitude this company seems to have they just lost several hundred thousand prospective customers.  Because being one myself, I know that troops get bored.  When we get bored we surf the net and spend money with these online retailers.  And the ones that take care of us while we are here will usually keep our business once we return stateside.  I ought to send this company an email and offer them a $5 bill for their entire company.  Because before long it won't even be worth that much.  I see them having a going out of business sale before too long.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 06:35:21 PM »
The registrant info for the domain is err.... somewhat "Middle Eastern" sounding.

And is a P.O. box at the Post Office just a few blocks from the business address.
It also links to other websites that middle-man drop-ship other stuff like scooters etc.

And the domain referral goes here: http://www.wildwestdomains.com/gdshop/default.asp

Looks like some work-from-home loser to me.  rolleyes
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 07:15:49 PM »
They should have called on the phone. The person from the email may be some young intern punk that will be summarily slapped down by the management.

I thought so, too, but then why wouldn't they return Snopes' phone call and make clear that was the case?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 04:30:56 AM »
Just to be clear, these jokers are practicaly neighbors of mine. Under two miles away from where I live.

Looking at Google Earth, I believe it's a residential street. Combined with the middle eastern sounding name in the domain registry info, and the "Sell from home, No stock!" website that's the referring domain, thus my theroy this is an embittered Muslim or Arab who fell for an Internet "Work From Home" scam...
I promise not to duck.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 04:42:33 PM »
Even if this vendor was against the war and against our leadership, they have NO right to treat our Troops that way. They could have just as easily have said, "I'm sorry, we don't ship to APOs/FPOs" and left it at that.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 05:39:51 PM »
This is America, it's their right to respond however they desire.
Zeke

Robert Sears

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 06:10:41 PM »
I posted about this on a few board after reading. One of the responses on one of those boards:

"Just tried their website to see what type of mat this is all about and got this: Quote:
Discount-Mats.com is Experiencing Technical Difficulties...
If you are inquiring about your order, please contact us via phone or email.
Thank you for your understanding & patience. ".

Seems the business maybe having overload problems. What a shame--NOT.

Bob

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 06:19:56 PM »

Agreed.  They have exercised their right to be complete heels.

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 03:05:58 AM »
Concur.  Now, if folks desire, they can choose to NOT order from there.  "Cool."

Agreed.  They have exercised their right to be complete heels.
Zeke

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 04:28:55 AM »
Zeke,
I'll respond to your post in the other thread here for consolidation purposes.
The "appropriate" response is to just not order from them, right?

Or is harrassing them with a deluge of ad hoc paper okay?
The appropriate response can involve both not ordering from them as well as notifying them of why they will not receive your business, could it not?

If I were a business owner, I would want to know why people are not shopping at my store.  In fact, businesses constantly go to great lengths to determine exactly that going so far as to contract for very expensive surveys and market research studies.  The folks who email the proprietor to tell him why they aren't buying from him or why they are unhappy with him are providing a valuable service without charge.  Win-win.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 11:55:43 AM »
And going forward with this, keep in mind that EVERY time you let a manager/owner of a "no guns allowed" retail establishment know about your displeasure, you're turning him one step closer to removing the prohibition.

Blog under construction

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Or FIRMLY convincing him that gun-toters are arrogant, "my needs first," confrontational jerks: info that he'll bring up in the local business community.

Your call.

And going forward with this, keep in mind that EVERY time you let a manager/owner of a "no guns allowed" retail establishment know about your displeasure, you're turning him one step closer to removing the prohibition.
Zeke

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 12:34:32 PM »
You never fail to amuse.  Wow.   shocked

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 06:02:48 PM »
It appears justice has been done:

Web Site Kicks Sand in Faces of GIs in Iraq Asking for Mats to Ease Hardship of Sleeping on Ground

Monday, January 22, 2007

An American GI assigned to one of the harshest posts in Iraq had a simple request last week for a Wisconsin mattress company: send some floor mats to help ease the hardship of sleeping on the cold, bug-infested ground.

What he got, instead, was a swift kick from the company's Web site, which not only refused the request but added insult to injury with the admonition, "If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq."

Army Sgt. Jason Hess, stationed in Taji, Iraq, with the 1st Cavalry Division, said he emailed his request to Discount-mats.com because he and his fellow soldiers sleep on the cold ground, which contains sand mites, sand flies and other disease carriers.

In his email, dated Jan. 16, 2007, he asked the Web-based company, registered to Faisal Khetani, an American Muslim of Pakistani descent:

"Do you ship to APO (military) addresses? I'm in the 1st Cavalry Division stationed in Iraq and we are trying to order some mats but we are looking for ships to APO first."

On the same day, Hess received this reply:

"SGT Hess,

We do not ship to APO addresses, and even if we did, we would NEVER ship to Iraq. If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq.

Bargain Suppliers
Discount-Mats.com"

Khetani on Monday told FOX News that the person responsible for the email reply had been fired. The Web site, meanwhile, has been temporarily taken down.

Hess emailed that he has since found two mat suppliers willing to ship to an APO address in Iraq.

FOX News' Douglas Kennedy contributed to this story.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,245718,00.html
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum