Author Topic: Annular Solar Eclipse, 14OCT23  (Read 3919 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Annular Solar Eclipse, 14OCT23
« on: September 14, 2023, 08:22:31 AM »
An annular solar eclipse is coming up on 14OCT. I think I might start looking for viewing spots and drive a couple of hours to watch this one. Most of the best viewing is in the Western US. I appear to be in an 80-ish% area, and around 2.5 hours of driving puts me just in the edge of the 100% zone. I'll just need to research a good and clear viewing location.

It won't be as cool and eerie as when I drove to the 2017 total eclipse, but it's also just a couple of hours of driving versus days of driving and planning, so I think it will be a worthwhile day trip if the weather (both clouds and snow) cooperate.

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/eclipses/2023/oct-14-annular/where-when/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Annular Solar Eclipse, 14OCT23
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 08:31:22 AM »
Only going to see about 30% occlusion here in Northern Virginia. Less than the last one a couple of years ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 08:52:21 AM »
I need to mark that down.  I am in the 80% area.  Might worth a short road trip to get over near 100%.  Being on a Saturday makes it easier.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 11:07:27 AM »
Wow !

You Texas folks in San Antonio and nearby are going to get two (2, count 'em) total eclipses within 6 months of each other, October 2023 and April 8, 2024.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a005000/a005073/eclipse_map_full_print.jpg

Makes it look like San Antone is targeted for something...

Spoooooooky.  Spooky spooky spooky.  <cue twilight zone theme>

https://youtu.be/-b5aW08ivHU
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 08:11:19 AM »
I'm just outside the 90% zone of the annular eclipse, but I'm just inside the path of next year's total eclipse. This one in October will be a good test for photography - I bought some solar filter material  (transmits 1/1000 of 1%, making it, what, ND5?) but I still have to put together a holder to secure it over my camera lens.

Got a new Nikon Z7ii camera (not just for this event) but lenses are expen$ive.  I bought an adapter that lets me use my old Contax lenses on my new camera - those old Zeiss and Yashica lenses are still sharp. Real sharp. (No autofocus, though.)

Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed for clear sky - it would be just my luck to have overcast skies for 200 miles around.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 08:43:09 AM »
Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed for clear sky - it would be just my luck to have overcast skies for 200 miles around.  =(

The clouds got me on the most recent couple of events that I wanted to see. For this one, as long as the sky looks fairly clear, I'm just gonna start driving, and if things remain clear, I'll drive to the Nevada border for 100%. If things look iffy, I'll just stop somewhere in the 90ish% zone. The route I'm taking will have a clear view the entire way, so it will all depend on the cloud gods.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 10:29:13 AM »
It's all dependent on the density of the chem trails, Ben.  Don't you know that?  And the number of alien UAPs flying around at the time might have an affect because their interstellar gravity drive can bend light waves.  Plus, the earth is flat, so that can screw up your observations if you are thinking it's round.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 10:30:35 AM »
I figure that would be a good reason to drive over to the San Antonio area.  Less chance of overcast. 

Also, I have heard of Drury's Guns there and never been.  Just need to figure out a good place to park to watch the eclipse.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 03:22:01 PM »
If I remember I will step out and take a look. I saw one in San Diego in 1994 that happened right at sunset. I went up to Ft Rosecrans National Cemetery and set up my Olympus OM10 and just kind of winged it. I had a few pictures come out. It was kind of neat watching the sun ring sink behind the marine layer and into the ocean.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2023, 06:32:58 AM »
This is pretty much how it always seens to happen in Northern Virginia. A few years ago one of the meteor showers was supposed to be spectacular. Weather was forecast to be beautiful and clear.

I woke up and walked outside into one of the thickest fogs I have ever seen in my life.

Heard from a friend who lives about an hour west of me that yes, it was QUITE spectacular.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2023, 01:28:44 PM »
I just found a really cool eclipse simulator that lets you see animations of what it will look like in different areas:

https://sandbox.eclipse2024.org/2023eclipse/eclipse_cities/statemap.html

When you click an area on the map, you'll get a popup window. The popup is not intuitive. There are three links there. The first and third are the same, and show you a landscape timelapse animation of sun position and eclipse status. The second link shows a mini-animation of if you'll see the "ring of fire" or not, plus some other geographic info on that page.

It came in handy for me, because I didn't pay attention to just how early I have to be on the road to see the actual ring. I need to leave the house at 0530 and drive dark, windy, mountain roads, and my night vision is not the greatest anymore. Instead of driving to Nevada, I'm probably going to stop in Oregon, where the ring won't be perfect, but will be complete. I ordered a Celestron filter for my 150-600mm lens, so will try some photography. I've never shot sun shots or an eclipse before, so I guess it will be hit or miss.

Then the timing will be perfect for me to stop at Rome Station and get a burger at the diner on my way back to potatoho.  =)

Of course all this is dependent on no clouds.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2023, 05:04:41 PM »
Hum... Not really going to be much of anything in my area, from what I see on the simulator.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2023, 05:15:12 PM »
Of course all this is dependent on no clouds.

Always a major consideration in the Pacific Northwest in the fall.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2023, 05:18:04 PM »
Always a major consideration in the Pacific Northwest in the fall.

Yeah, with the usual "wait ten minutes" weather changes, I likely won't know until I get there. It won't be that big of a deal since I cut it down to a 2ish hour drive. If I can't see the eclipse, then it was just a sightseeing drive.  =)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2023, 10:54:57 PM »
So 10/14 is this coming weekend.  I am waiting until the last minute, but what the best way to view the eclipse.  Do you buy the "eclipse glasses" or just get some welding goggles of a right strength? 

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Certified-EclipSmart-Observing-44405/dp/B01N17N0MO/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1VLEKRCYQTUT2&keywords=ISO+12312-2&qid=1696817420&sprefix=iso+12312-2%2Caps%2C692&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Certified-EclipSmart-Observing-44413/dp/B01MUHBNZX/ref=sr_1_26?crid=1VLEKRCYQTUT2&keywords=ISO+12312-2&qid=1696817420&sprefix=iso+12312-2%2Caps%2C692&sr=8-26

And once I looked, some of the options won't deliver until after this coming weekend.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 11:18:55 PM by MechAg94 »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2023, 12:31:26 AM »
So 10/14 is this coming weekend.  I am waiting until the last minute, but what the best way to view the eclipse.  Do you buy the "eclipse glasses" or just get some welding goggles of a right strength? 

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Certified-EclipSmart-Observing-44405/dp/B01N17N0MO/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1VLEKRCYQTUT2&keywords=ISO+12312-2&qid=1696817420&sprefix=iso+12312-2%2Caps%2C692&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Certified-EclipSmart-Observing-44413/dp/B01MUHBNZX/ref=sr_1_26?crid=1VLEKRCYQTUT2&keywords=ISO+12312-2&qid=1696817420&sprefix=iso+12312-2%2Caps%2C692&sr=8-26

And once I looked, some of the options won't deliver until after this coming weekend.

I just use TIG welding goggles.  Shade 15 is good.  14 is probably adequate. (you don't really need the goggle part, just stack a #7 and a #8 lens, or a 12 and a 3, etc) 

When an eclipse snuck up on me 20-something years ago and I found out about it just an hour before, I ran to the welding supply store and bought assorted 2x4.25" lenses and stacked them in different combos until I got something I liked.  I expected a #12 to be enough but it was still uncomfortably bright.  Get something where you can look at the sun unobstructed and that will be good for the eclipse.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2023, 09:02:15 AM »
I only have an auto welding helmet, and from what I have read, while it might protect your eyes, it might not create the best darkness level for viewing an eclipse.

I ordered the cheapo Celestron glasses from B&H Photo (I was worried about counterfeits on Amazon). I also ordered their $20 DSLR/telescope lens filter. I've never done any eclipse photography, but am going to try this time with my D300 and 150-600 Sigma zoom. I need to gazoogle methods this week. I'm still hoping for a cloud free Saturday.  =)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2023, 10:04:14 AM »
I went ahead and ordered some inexpensive Helioclipse glasses.  The others wouldn't ship quick enough since I waited until the last minute.  I saw one or two tips to test them out beforehand. 

I want to check at local store to see what they have for glasses as a backup.  Thanks for the tip on the 14 shade. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2023, 01:35:05 PM »
I bought a solar filter for my camera and used it with an old (mid-80s) Yashica 80-200 zoom to photograph the sun. The sun's image on the 24x36 frame was pretty small, but when I zoomed in on it I saw some unexpected details, including sunspots. It will do.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2023, 02:27:47 PM »
I only have an auto welding helmet, and from what I have read, while it might protect your eyes, it might not create the best darkness level for viewing an eclipse.

I ordered the cheapo Celestron glasses from B&H Photo (I was worried about counterfeits on Amazon). I also ordered their $20 DSLR/telescope lens filter. I've never done any eclipse photography, but am going to try this time with my D300 and 150-600 Sigma zoom. I need to gazoogle methods this week. I'm still hoping for a cloud free Saturday.  =)

Seeing how you won't get a lot of practice time you may want to try a few methods on the sun before hand. I shot through welding glass on the eclipse above and got a lot of pictures that are greyish like the one HankB posted. IIRC I used a small pinhole type setup in front of the lens to get the ones above. Then again that was long before the advent of digital cameras being in everyone's closet.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2023, 04:05:33 PM »
I took these in August 2017.

Canon EOS 70D
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
I used a solar filter I got from B&H.

I'm going to be just shy of 70% for this one. If the sky is clear I may get out the camera and get a few shots.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2023, 04:28:53 PM »
Good idea on the practice Bob.

RKL - you don't by some chance recall your settings?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2023, 06:33:38 PM »
Good idea on the practice Bob.

RKL - you don't by some chance recall your settings?

I don't, but the EXIF data shows on Flicker.

f/8.0, shutter 1/500, ISO 400, 400mm on lens for the first on I posted.
f/6.3, shutter 1/250, ISO 500, 400mm on lens for the second one.
There are several more from that day on my Flicker page, feel free to browse away.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2023, 08:41:39 PM »
Calling for clouds here that day but the forecast could change. The girl has some eclipse glasses she got in science class. I have a stack of welding glass around here somewhere that I let her use for the last one.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2023, 11:43:15 AM »
Gall dangit.

Warming trend into the weekend as another Pacific ridge
shifts inland.  Clouds may hinder view of the annular solar
eclipse Saturday morning, especially on the Oregon side.