Author Topic: Annular Solar Eclipse, 14OCT23  (Read 3918 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Annular Solar Eclipse, 14OCT23
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2023, 01:54:02 PM »
I need to make sure I check that before Saturday.  I just thought it would be cool to drive over toward San Antonio and find a park or something to sit and enjoy the eclipse. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2023, 02:08:18 PM »
You might also check Corpus Christi.  I think it's near the center of the eclipse path as well.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2023, 06:06:28 PM »
Crap, the latest forecast is now guaranteeing clouds. I'll still wait till Friday for a go/no go. I really only want to do the pitch black mountain road drive if there is at least a chance at seeing it. Otherwise if the chances are very low, I might as well sleep in and setup at home and see if I can get a glance at the 80% eclipse.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2023, 07:24:48 PM »
Ha! The forecast has changed to "mostly sunny" so I'm going to give it a go tomorrow morning and head down to Southern Oregon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2023, 12:22:24 AM »
You might also check Corpus Christi.  I think it's near the center of the eclipse path as well.
Looking at the map, Goliad or Beeville are easier to get to for me and in the zone. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2023, 11:17:41 AM »
Looks like it's going to be cloudy here today.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2023, 12:09:24 PM »
It's raining here. I'm nowhere near the path for total occlusion, but with the rain I won't be able to see anything. It should be getting darker starting just about now.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2023, 01:49:48 PM »
Was too cloudy to see anything here.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2023, 01:52:10 PM »
All clear in the Austin area - just briefly had a few high cirrus about a half hour before maximum.

Been taking pix every 10 minutes - time to go and shoot the next batch.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zahc

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2023, 02:20:24 PM »
Taking pictures through the cheap solar glasses works just fine.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2023, 03:15:43 PM »
It was full overcast here. Did notice a little darkening but not too much.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2023, 04:35:03 PM »
The forecast completely changed from last night. When I got up at 0500 it was actually sprinkling here and the spot I had picked out in Oregon was listed as mostly cloudy. I went back and forth on it, but then said what the heck and me and the dog headed out.

It was cloudy and sprinkles for the whole trip, but when I got to my spot in the far Southeast of Oregon, while still cloudy, a few holes were opening up in the sky. I chased one of the holes down a 4x4 road and when I saw the sun peek out, took a chance and set up the tripod. Turns out I was able to see almost the whole thing, including the full 2.5 minutes of the ring.

I just now got back home, so this evening will plug the camera in to the confuser and see what I got. It looked good in the viewfinder, but my interneting told me that the $20 cardboard Celestron filter I got isn't the best for this. More so, I'm concerned about it being in focus, as with the glare, I couldn't really tell through the liveview viewfinder if I had good focus or not.  I took a bajillion images with slight variation of the focus and a ton of different shutter speeds, f-stops, and ISOs, so hopefully at least one turned out.   :laugh:

Regardless, I'm glad I took the chance and drove into the zone. Even if no images turned out, I got a good view through the glasses, and this is likely the last one that I will see in my lifetime.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2023, 06:46:50 PM »
All clouds today.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2023, 08:26:06 PM »
I

Of course all this is dependent on no clouds.

Full cloud cover all day here.  Didn't even try.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2023, 11:16:52 PM »
I drove over to Goliad, TX.  Found a spot West of town at the remains of an old Spanish Mission. 

When I got there, I saw cloud cover and I thought I was SOL for getting pictures.   But as it turned out, the clouds weren't that thick, and I was able to get some decent pictures through the clouds.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2023, 11:18:18 PM »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2023, 11:21:44 PM »
My phone would focus fine if I zoomed in.  If I pulled back to no zoom, it wouldn't focus as well.  It would look like that first picture above.  Clouds with a bright spot.

Also, the sun would pass through thinner parts of the clouds and it was too bright for the camera, but then I could see it through the eclipse glasses.  When it passed behind clouds again, it was too dim for the glasses, but the camera could see again.  I could see it with the naked eye behind the clouds, but I figured I was better off not doing that much. 

At the tail end of the eclipse the clouds got thicker and I couldn't see much as well.  The cloud cover worked out.  I think I got better photos with the light clouds acting as a filter. 

This is the first time I took much time out to try and see an eclipse.  It worked out well. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2023, 05:12:28 AM »
Nice photos!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2023, 07:52:29 AM »
Ugh. My photos didn't turn out as expected. I mean, I guess, based on images I saw at space.com, they match the images for this kind of filter, but I really wanted images more like Mech's. Everything I was reading though had all kinds of warnings about pointing the DSLR at the sun without this particular filter type. Oh well.  =)