Author Topic: Moving from Ohio to Michigan with handguns and CCW  (Read 3938 times)

cfabe

• friend
Moving from Ohio to Michigan with handguns and CCW
« on: November 21, 2007, 07:53:38 AM »
I know I've seen a number of michigan posters on here, so maybe you all can offer some advice.

I am an Ohio resident and I have an Ohio concealed handgun license. I know I'm allowed to carry in Michigan as an out of state license holder. I also know that michigan residents must register/safety check their handguns through the purchase permit system. And I understand that I'll need to have 6 months of residency before I can get my Michigan CCW permit. I also believe it's illegal to posess an unregistered handgun as a MI resident.

Where I'm confused is what order to do things. Do I need to bring the guns up with me when I move, then get my michigan drivers license, then take them to get registered? Or become a michigan resident first, then bring the guns up? It seems that either way I'll be illegal for some period of time. Will I need to go get purchase permits before I register them, or since they are already mine can I just take them to the sheriff and register them?

Also, will I be able to carry using my ohio permit as a michigan resident in my first 6 months? I'm guessing no, I'll not be able to legally carry at all until I get my michigan permit.

Are there any online resources for michigan like ohioccw.org? The state police website has some general information but not much on moving to the state.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Re: Moving from Ohio to Michigan with handguns and CCW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:18:27 AM »
You have to register immediately after becoming a resident:

http://mi.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10953--,00.html#Pistol_Registration__Purchase____Transfer

Point #10

Also, MI only recognizes out of state permits if you are a resident of that state, so my guess is that as soon as you become a MI resident, you can no longer carry in MI on the OH permit.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'