Author Topic: Today's Election in Georgia  (Read 3143 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Today's Election in Georgia
« on: April 18, 2017, 03:52:12 PM »
What are you all thinking about this?

It seems the DNC and a bunch of celebrities have been going out of their way to push this guy. Seems like a replay of what made people vote for Trump. Also interesting is that the guy was interviewed this morning and stated on TV that he couldn't vote for himself because he doesn't live in his district. What?

It also seems claims are popping up of (Russians!) election interference. It's almost like a bad movie.

http://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2017/04/18/alert-the-fbi-a-hostile-foreign-power-is-trying-to-interfere-in-ga-06-election/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/18/georgia-race-gop-hits-ossoff-for-living-outside-district-in-final-stretch.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Today's Election in Georgia
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
I think people try to project/interpret way too much national relevance out of local elections.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 05:10:19 PM »
I think people try to project/interpret way too much national relevance out of local elections.

Whatever gives their side some hope.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 05:16:40 PM »
I'm astonished that anyone is allowed to run for a seat to represent a district they don't live in.

He claims he lives with his girlfriend to "support" her while she's in medical school, but how's that going to work if he goes off to Washington?

I hope the voters of Georgia are smart enough to dump this clown.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 05:16:53 PM »

Which comes from apparently millions of dollars of DNC and celebrity money, plus the Hollywood promotional machine pushing the guy into the limelight. A guy that, really, 90% of us shouldn't even know or care about.

Of course that's kinda how we got Obama.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »
Which comes from apparently millions of dollars of DNC and celebrity money, plus the Hollywood promotional machine pushing the guy into the limelight. A guy that, really, 90% of us shouldn't even know or care about.

Ugh. Don't make me think about that. I don't want them to do it again. Hopefully, this guy loses. Then in 2020, it's a Wendy Davis/thatguyfromGeorgia ticket. Ugh.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 05:41:09 PM »

That, and some major fumbling by the R.s.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 09:14:11 PM »
Looks like the D won.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 09:29:07 PM »
I'm astonished that anyone is allowed to run for a seat to represent a district they don't live in.

He claims he lives with his girlfriend to "support" her while she's in medical school, but how's that going to work if he goes off to Washington?

I hope the voters of Georgia are smart enough to dump this clown.

Happens a lot in Iowa, said candidate gets a PO box or cheap 1 bedroom apartment in a "easily" winnable district nearby their primary residence in a different district.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 01:41:25 AM »
Looks like there will be a run-off between the first and second-place winners. No one got more than 50% of the vote.

https://morningconsult.com/2017/04/19/ossoff-handel-likely-headed-runoff-georgias-6th-district/

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 02:21:26 AM »
Looks like the D won.

Huh?  It's not winner take all.  Top 2 go to a run off in June unless the 1st place person wins an absolute majority.  With 88% reporting the D has 48% with the top R at 20% (but she was splitting the R vote with 11 other candidates, vs the D that was basically the only D on the ballot).  Not a great result for Repubs, but it's expected that the R will win the runoff in spite of the huge money the D's have thrown at the race and the negative coat-tails of Trump.
Formerly sumpnz

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 05:24:11 AM »
Huh?  It's not winner take all.  Top 2 go to a run off in June unless the 1st place person wins an absolute majority.  With 88% reporting the D has 48% with the top R at 20% (but she was splitting the R vote with 11 other candidates, vs the D that was basically the only D on the ballot).  Not a great result for Repubs, but it's expected that the R will win the runoff in spite of the huge money the D's have thrown at the race and the negative coat-tails of Trump.
At the time I saw it the D was at 57%, I didn't see what percentage was reported.  My bad.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 05:29:11 AM »
Runoff in June? There's plenty of time for the Republicans to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Yesterday's mail brought me a poll from none other than Paul Ryan, asking what I think is important for the direction of the country and the Republican party. Unfortunately, no spaces for comments, so I couldn't respond to all the entries where he claimed the party in unified in support of the President. I guess I'll have to write to him (again) to tell him he's a hypocrite and a liar, and that if he doesn't rally the troops to accomplish what Trump and the Rs were elected to do, he's looking at losing the majority in the House when mid-term elections roll around.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 08:18:18 AM »

R's splitting 11 ways and you still can't get over 50% as the lone D?  Who is more screwed at this time?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 08:20:34 AM »
IMO there is no excuse for the Reps running so many candidates. I was told by someone in the know that there is no mechanism (State level??) for winnowing out candidates. If the Reps had a single qualified candidate with a focused message, I don't think this would even be in the news.

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 08:55:16 AM »
IMO there is no excuse for the Reps running so many candidates. I was told by someone in the know that there is no mechanism (State level??) for winnowing out candidates. If the Reps had a single qualified candidate with a focused message, I don't think this would even be in the news.

ON THE OTHER HAND, liberals just sunk a ton of money into a candidate for what would be nothing more than a symbolic victory... and still couldn't win.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 09:31:19 AM »
ON THE OTHER HAND, liberals just sunk a ton of money into a candidate for what would be nothing more than a symbolic victory... and still couldn't win.

Hopefully, the celebs and a lot of his other backers will get complacent, and go away.

Also, the Democrats are backing a white, straight male; against a female candidate. How dare they?!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »

Hopefully, the celebs and a lot of his other backers will get complacent, and go away.

Also, the Democrats are backing a white, straight male; against a female candidate. How dare they?!

I just saw a snippet of his post-election speech. "A win for the ages!".  ;/

I can't think of a better example of "puppet" poster boy.

I saw that though there were no actual voting irregularities, apparently a ton of angry people who didn't live in the district were turned away from voting. I would guess that is partially the celebrity effect. Dimwits that worship celebrities probably have no idea they have to live where they vote.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 10:16:56 AM »
Ed Zachary.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »
IMO there is no excuse for the Reps running so many candidates.  . . .

The Stupid PartyTM earns it's name again.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 01:16:05 PM »
I just saw that apparently all the celebrities are now migrating to Montana to push for some nobody running for Zinke's seat.

I've heard that Montanan's love having actors from California telling them what to do.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 01:40:00 PM »
I just heard a snippet of the Republican's answers to media questions. She said she spent $76000 on her campaign, and $10,000,000 went into the Democrat's campaign. Things should be interesting in June.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 02:06:26 PM »
I just saw that apparently all the celebrities are now migrating to Montana to push for some nobody running for Zinke's seat.

I've heard that Montanan's love having actors from California telling them what to do.

Well, they do own quite a bit of the state from what I understand.  =|   ;)

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 02:17:29 PM »
Well, they do own quite a bit of the state from what I understand.  =|   ;)

bob

Yeah, there's that. I don't know if Zinke's district is in one of the liberal enclaves or not.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 02:29:16 PM »
Yeah, there's that. I don't know if Zinke's district is in one of the liberal enclaves or not.

From Wikipedia:
Zinke served as the U.S. representative for Montana's at-large congressional district

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana%27s_at-large_congressional_district  
Montana is represented in the US House of Representatives by one at-large congressional district. The district is the largest congressional district by population with just over 1 million constituents. It is also the second largest by land area, after Alaska's at-large congressional district.