Author Topic: To connect or not to connect  (Read 1865 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
To connect or not to connect
« on: August 31, 2018, 07:18:02 PM »
That is the question being debated in Canada:
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/liberals-eye-closer-look-at-right-to-disconnect-in-labour-rule-revamp-report

The proposal is to codify that an employee has a right to stop working when he/she leaves work, and that means they should have a right to not have to be monitoring work-related e-mails when they're not on the clock.

Opinions?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Cliffh

• friend
Re: To connect or not to connect
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 07:28:02 PM »
Yep.  Once I've clocked out I'm off the clock.

Unless I knew before hand that being on-call was part of the job.  In that case, I'd expect some type of compensation for after hours/off the clock work.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 07:30:05 PM »
That is the question being debated in Canada:
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/liberals-eye-closer-look-at-right-to-disconnect-in-labour-rule-revamp-report

The proposal is to codify that an employee has a right to stop working when he/she leaves work, and that means they should have a right to not have to be monitoring work-related e-mails when they're not on the clock.

Opinions?

If you're required to be monitoring work email, you're sort of "on call", and should be paid for that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 07:38:55 PM »
Hourly, there should definitely not be an expectation to monitor work communications while not on the clock.

Salary - however the employee and employer wish to negotiate it.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 08:15:25 PM »
If you want me to be on call when I'm not on the clock, issue me a pager. If you need me to come in ... page me. Otherwise, when I'm on my own time, I'm on MY own time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 08:33:52 PM »
A couple years ago my boss was at my desk at the end of my shift. Company cell phone went in the top drawer as I was locking up. He was some concerned that I wasn't carrying my company phone 24/7. I asked him how much he paid me to do that. When he told me We didn't get paid extra for that I told him that was why I didn't carry it 24/7.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 08:39:27 PM »
Does this really have to be a law?  I was thinking that is likely is in the US in one form or another. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 09:35:35 PM »
I was always answering emails and calls and stuff after "working hours". Fed.gov was always big on saying our off time was our own, but it was also pretty unofficially expected that we'd at a minimum reply to email related stuff after we "clocked out", especially at the higher GS levels. Occasionally, when I was inundated, I'd claim an hour or two of comp time here and there, but doing so on a regular basis was frowned upon. Overtime would have been out of the question.

But I don't think that's too different from many large corporations these days, and some of it isn't even on the employer, it's just how a lot of people work these days.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 09:32:53 AM »
As a GS-06, my boss rarely attempts to contact me after work hours.  Sometimes my coworkers will contact me if I have a day off or I'm on vacation, because they're filling in for me and I'm the SME for problems with receiving (and since it's the government, there is a lot that can go wrong beyond "open box/confirm contents").  I don't mind spending three minutes on a phone call or text message to help them resolve something.

In the rare occasions that my boss asks me to actually come in to work on my off time, he gives me comp time in minimum 4 hour blocks.  Work for 45 minutes?  Four hours comp time.  Work for 4h15m?  Eight hours comp time.  Works for me.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 09:45:09 AM »
Another fed.gov employee here.

I'll answer emails on my time off, but if it's more than about 1 sentance, that answer is "I'll take care of this tomorrow/monday"  as far as actual work, they pay me overtime or wait till my work hours. I'm not interested in comp time, as I already have use or lose vacation.  There was one slightly awkward conversation when I told my boss's boss "No, not doing comp time. Either it's important enough to the command to pay me overtime, or it's unimportant enough to wait till Monday. "  I got overtime.

I think as soon as you hit management level anywhere you can't completely check out. Subordinates need to be able to get ahold of you, and Seniors will have the occasional question outside business hours. It's important not to let yourself be abused, but we don't need laws for that.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 10:04:10 AM »
Hourly, there should definitely not be an expectation to monitor work communications while not on the clock.

Salary - however the employee and employer wish to negotiate it.
Bingo.