Author Topic: New TSA Body Scanners  (Read 1109 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
New TSA Body Scanners
« on: March 31, 2022, 10:37:38 AM »
The new scanners will be programmed to be transgender friendly and not alarm in "sensitive body areas". Security theater anyone?

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/03/31/real-life-bidens-spending-your-tax-dollars-redoing-body-scanners-so-transgender-passengers-sensitive-areas-dont-set-off-alarms/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: New TSA Body Scanners
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 11:16:14 AM »
So it won't go off if "she's" packing?   :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 11:33:19 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 11:59:12 AM »
Sounds like more billions funneled to Leidos. A damn scary company.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 12:13:46 PM »
I don't get the point of the software update.  The xray scanners don't know or care which of the two genders a person is.  Hell, the scanner doesn't even know/care if the target is human.

The point of the scanner is to look for hidden objects that are prohibited inside the airport secure zone.  Last time I checked, dicks are still allowed in the airport.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 12:26:40 PM »
I don't get the point of the software update.  The xray scanners don't know or care which of the two genders a person is.  Hell, the scanner doesn't even know/care if the target is human.

The point of the scanner is to look for hidden objects that are prohibited inside the airport secure zone.  Last time I checked, dicks are still allowed in the airport.

It's all about the feelz.
That's the driving force behind 90+% of what this admin does
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 12:51:33 PM »
I hope my newish titanium left hip shows up with enough resolution that they can tell it is a hip implant and not pull me aside for the cavity search.  The last couple of times I went through both the metal detectors and the xray scanners I did not get selected for wanding or a pat down.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 01:30:43 PM »
I hope my newish titanium left hip shows up with enough resolution that they can tell it is a hip implant and not pull me aside for the cavity search.  The last couple of times I went through both the metal detectors and the xray scanners I did not get selected for wanding or a pat down.

I don't think the "x-rays" they use (or the software) sees under the skin at all.  I've only ever seen them highlight things in pockets or under shirts.  (I tend to side-eye those displays on my way through because I'm intrigued by the tech.

In any case, it doesn't see the big ass titanium plate in my arm, and that's right below the skin.  Your hip should be fine.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 01:31:39 PM »

This was my question. It was unclear from the article how it was supposed to work.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 01:36:28 PM »
Perhaps the machine has been hitting on tucked packages and/or apparatus used to help hold a tuck?  And someone cried?  Something stuffed down in the underwear and hidden between thighs seems like exactly the thing the machine would be programmed to hit on lets say alert on.  :)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 03:11:13 PM »
I don't think the "x-rays" they use (or the software) sees under the skin at all.  I've only ever seen them highlight things in pockets or under shirts.  (I tend to side-eye those displays on my way through because I'm intrigued by the tech.

In any case, it doesn't see the big ass titanium plate in my arm, and that's right below the skin.  Your hip should be fine.
I am sure that the scanners have random false positives. One hit my right ankle that had nothing instead of the left with metal in it. Hit on my side once wearing only a t shirt.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 03:37:35 PM »
Why did I read the title of this thread as "New TSA body scammers"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 05:37:08 PM »
Why did I read the title of this thread as "New TSA body scammers"?

Is there a difference?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2022, 06:15:07 PM »
Priorities. There is nothing else important going on.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2022, 07:07:52 PM »
I don't think the "x-rays" they use (or the software) sees under the skin at all.

Correct.  It is only low-power backscatter X-rays.  That's what they tell us anyway.

According to this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_X-ray backscatter xrays are banned in the EU.

griz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2022, 07:55:32 PM »
It finally occurred to me that maybe it's the opposite of what you guys are thinking*.  Could be a biological woman who identifies as a man might have received extra scrutiny because of what looked like a shoulder holster or something.

*If somebody could be a misogynist, sexist, transphobic, unenlightened creatin, this would be the place for them, and I'm not excluding myself in that description.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2022, 08:31:38 AM »
It finally occurred to me that maybe it's the opposite of what you guys are thinking*.  Could be a biological woman who identifies as a man might have received extra scrutiny because of what looked like a shoulder holster or something.

*If somebody could be a misogynist, sexist, transphobic, unenlightened creatin, this would be the place for them, and I'm not excluding myself in that description.

Are you suggesting that a woman had an aftermarket appendage in her crotchal region that showed up on the xray and caused her to get secondary screening?  And that embarrassed her?

That is certainly possible, but that is why those xray machines are in use.  They see through the clothes to detect things that aren't normally there and that could be a prohibited item.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2022, 01:42:25 PM »
TSA got some new tech gun scan?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

griz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2022, 07:57:40 PM »
Are you suggesting that a woman had an aftermarket appendage in her crotchal region that showed up on the xray and caused her to get secondary screening?  And that embarrassed her?

That is certainly possible, but that is why those xray machines are in use.  They see through the clothes to detect things that aren't normally there and that could be a prohibited item.

No, I'm theorizing that somebody dressed as a man but with their biologically female breasts bound tightly with wrappings over a bra might have been suspected of hiding something in that area.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2022, 12:53:51 AM »
Last time I checked, dicks are still allowed in the airport.

Yeah.  Look at all the lawyers and politicians that fly.  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”