Author Topic: Calling up the militia  (Read 2655 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Calling up the militia
« on: December 13, 2020, 08:44:42 AM »
Lets say there was widespread unrest and domestic violence and a President needed to "call up" the militia.

What would that look like and who actually would be called up?

All gun owners within a set age range are considered in the militia IIRC.

I think if a President called up the militia he would specifically call up those who have already served in the military and/or law enforcement and would ask the rest to stand down.

It only makes sense that they would be under direct control of active military officers.

Truth be told, in all my years buzzing around the gun "community" I never really gave much thought to what a call up would look like.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Calling up the militia
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 08:50:26 AM »
The National Guard would be first I’d think.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 08:53:46 AM »

Absolutely

I'm just gaming out in my mind what it looks like if things really really go south and there is a need for even more "boots on the ground" than the NG can provide.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 09:13:52 AM »

Aren't they commanded by the governor of each state?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 09:26:20 AM »
Aren't they commanded by the governor of each state?

Pretty sure the president can call them up without the consent of said governors.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 09:49:51 AM »
I thought that who called them up changed who had to pay for it. So if the president calls them up the the feds pay. If the governor then the state.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 09:55:53 AM »
I thought that who called them up changed who had to pay for it. So if the president calls them up the the feds pay. If the governor then the state.

I have to admit I have no idea how NG are paid.
Are members of the NG paid only when they're called up?
Do they receive a flat pay every month called up or not?
Do they receive a base pay plus duty pay when called up?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 10:44:36 AM »
Lets say there was widespread unrest and domestic violence and a President needed to "call up" the militia.

What would that look like and who actually would be called up?

I think if a President called up the militia he would specifically call up those who have already served in the military and/or law enforcement and would ask the rest to stand down.

It only makes sense that they would be under direct control of active military officers.

Truth be told, in all my years buzzing around the gun "community" I never really gave much thought to what a call up would look like.

That's only one scenario in which the militia might act.

The militia might act to depose Congress or the President, in which case it would self-mobilize, or mobilize based upon a collaborative effort from several Governors of individual States.

Or, in the case of a State where the Governor does not support the mobilization of the militia to depose Federal offices though several other States are doing so, the militia of that State might opt to depose their Governor, in order to wrest control of local authority and then join the Federal effort once successful.

All of these are rather organic leadership environments.  You might see County Sheriffs leading portions, or veterans, or NG officers.  Maybe even rogue elements of active duty armed forces.  You'd probably see a bifurcation in leadership with one part being political/charismatic, and the other part being logistical/tactical.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 11:18:28 AM »
Pretty sure the president can call them up without the consent of said governors.

The Feds can call up the NG without the consent of the governors - IIRC, this was decided in 1990 (Perpich vs. DOD) in which Minnesota governor Rudy Perpich didn't want the MN NG to go somewhere in Central America for "training." From what was reported in the papers at the time, SCOTUS said essentially since the NG is funded by the Feds, they go where they're told by the Feds.

As for calling up the entire militia - which in principle can include nearly everyone - for anything other than a full-fledged Invasion USA scenario (BOTH "Red Dawn" movies were FICTION!!!) that wouldn't happen since I suspect a lot of "militia" members would not only not support, but would actively oppose whatever POTUS wanted them to do.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 12:59:57 PM »

Not all gun owners. All able-bodied males between the ages of 17 and 45, and all females citizens who are members of the National Guard.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/246
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 01:11:05 PM »
If I remember correctly, the operational order is:
1. Active duty
2. Reserve
2(a). National Guard
3. IRR (Individual Ready Reserve) - vets subject to recall
4. Draft and conscription
5.  Anyone else

So yeah, the modern Minute Men are pretty far down the list.  Like Hawkmoon said, it's gonna be a full invasion scenario before such a thing would happen.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 01:19:08 PM »
3. IRR (Individual Ready Reserve) - vets subject to recall

So most vets aren't part of the citizen militia even after they are back in civilian life. 

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 01:27:41 PM »
So most vets aren't part of the citizen militia even after they are back in civilian life. 

There's a period of time during which a vet is subject to recall, which varies depending on the enlistment contract, the vet's MOS and skill set, and the needs of the military.  When I got out as an 11A  at O-3, I think I had a 5 year IRR commitment. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2020, 01:30:04 PM »

They are if they are able-bodied and under the age of 45.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2020, 01:36:50 PM »
There's a period of time during which a vet is subject to recall, which varies depending on the enlistment contract, the vet's MOS and skill set, and the needs of the military.  When I got out as an 11A  at O-3, I think I had a 5 year IRR commitment. 

When I ETSed ("Expiration of Term of Service") and was released from active duty and sent home from Vietnam as an E-5 in 1968, I was subject to potential recall for 4 years. But the Army wasn't doing stop loss back then. They had a draft, so they could replace an E-5 with an E-1 and save a few bucks.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 01:41:22 PM »
Absolutely

I'm just gaming out in my mind what it looks like if things really really go south and there is a need for even more "boots on the ground" than the NG can provide.

Several states (mine included) have "state guards," which are what often show up when you Google "militia." The state guards are sort of like junior varsity National Guard. In my state they train with the National Guard but are not subject to federal call-up. Their primary function seems to be to supplement the NG in times of natural disaster, or to take the primary lead in natural disaster scenarios if the NG happens to be away on federal deployment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_defense_force

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 04:07:25 PM »
Several states (mine included) have "state guards," which are what often show up when you Google "militia." The state guards are sort of like junior varsity National Guard. In my state they train with the National Guard but are not subject to federal call-up. Their primary function seems to be to supplement the NG in times of natural disaster, or to take the primary lead in natural disaster scenarios if the NG happens to be away on federal deployment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_defense_force

(Thread drift).   This has always made me laugh when people talk about "the militia" being the National Guard.  The Militia as referred to in 2A and as existed in that historical context, was a true home guard, devoted to protecting the local community, and controlled at the local level.  The National Guard, through my adult life, has been a Reserve Unit of the U.S. Army, subject to call up and deployment with Army Reserve and Regular Army units.  Kind of hard to see it both ways, at least for me.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2020, 07:00:27 PM »
The militia as referred to in the 2A preceded the National Guard by over 100 years ...

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2020, 08:56:10 PM »
(Thread drift).   This has always made me laugh when people talk about "the militia" being the National Guard.  The Militia as referred to in 2A and as existed in that historical context, was a true home guard, devoted to protecting the local community, and controlled at the local level.  The National Guard, through my adult life, has been a Reserve Unit of the U.S. Army, subject to call up and deployment with Army Reserve and Regular Army units.  Kind of hard to see it both ways, at least for me.

I've come to the same conclusion as well.  I considered joining the national guard when I was younger, but that whole bit was very off-putting.  I was more in interested in servicing the local community providing disaster relief and if necessary civil defense, but not so much getting sucked in fighting foreign wars.  Isn't that what the Army is for?  Ultimately, I was looking for something more along the lines of the German THW.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2020, 09:00:31 PM »
I'm JUST past my IRR time.  It will be a cold day in hell when I answer any call of my shithead governor.

And we're back to the old Chinese curse regarding interesting times.

The Militia is what it's described as,  but what if we refuse?  It's most likely an academic argument at this point, but here we are.  My oath was to the Constitution,  not whichever ahole was in power at the time.

Balkans here we come.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2020, 09:13:06 PM »

Balkans here we come.

No, more like the Granger movement in the 19th century, I'm not talking about farming, but how a group of like mined people got together and attempted to give the middle finger to both major parties. Also, like the Grangers, it will fail and the winners will be the establishment.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2020, 09:15:47 PM »
No, more like the Granger movement in the 19th century, I'm not talking about farming, but how a group of like mined people got together and attempted to give the middle finger to both major parties. Also, like the Grangers, it will fail and the winners will be the establishment.

I think you're overly optimistic.

Guess we'll see.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2020, 09:57:50 PM »
I think you're overly optimistic.

Guess we'll see.

If the Magadons don't go violent after tomorrow's electoral college counts, it's not going to happen. Like said earlier people are not going to do it, but hoping someone else does.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2020, 09:04:58 AM »
If the Magadons don't go violent after tomorrow's electoral college counts, it's not going to happen. Like said earlier people are not going to do it, but hoping someone else does.

Is Magadons like Mittens, Hitlery or Shrub  ;)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2020, 09:08:11 AM »
Is Magadons like Mittens, Hitlery or Shrub  ;)

Nope, made that term up. Doesn't describe a person, just a group of people.  ;)

Uranus is a gas giant.