Author Topic: Coincidence, sabotage, or stupidity? USSS rental vehicles catch fire.  (Read 938 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Five USSS rental vehicles catch fire after Biden visit.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bidens-secret-service-rental-vehicles-burst-flames-left-nantucket-vacation

One is happenstance. Two could be chalked up as coincidence. Five? Something is hinky.

Given USSS's obsession with equipment security, I don't see sabotage. Someone might have had time and opportunity to rig something on one or two vehicles under their immediate control, but five? No way. My guess is some kind of additional USSS-specific equipment mounted to the vehicles either malfunctioned or, more likely, caused an electrical overload due to crappy installation/removal.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
Re: Coincidence, sabotage, or stupidity? USSS rental vehicles catch fire.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 12:43:10 PM »
The five vehicles included a Chevy Suburban, Ford Explorer, Infiniti QX80, Ford Expedition, and a Jeep Gladiator.

An overload or careless install of USSS equipment caused five different vehicles from four different manufacturers to ignite? Unless the USSS equipment itself ignited, something seems to be very suspicious about this.

Wonder what equipment they have, and if they just plug in into the cigarette lighter socket, since these were rentals. (The USSS RENTS vehicles when they're protecting POTUS? That's a little surprising.) I'm not coming up with anything except radios, video gear, portable computers, and jammers. And I'd expect a fuse to pop before anything ignited.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 12:44:58 PM »
Coincidence, sabotage, or stupidity?

Considering it's the government can I pick all three?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 01:04:05 PM »
(The USSS RENTS vehicles when they're protecting POTUS? That's a little surprising.)

Yeah, I had the same question.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 01:20:29 PM »
It wasn't clear to me from the article if this was the POTUS protective detail. I think rentals there would be highly unusual.  Our aircrew got stuck going to some Clinton/Gore dog-faced pony show in Monterey in like 1998, and I remember when we flew in to the airport, there was already a staging aircraft there and black vehicles were rolling out the back.

Though I think depending on where, there are SS agents on scene up to a week beforehand doing prep stuff, so if there's no place close like a base where they can borrow a G ride, they probably rent vehicles the same as other gov employees do.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 02:00:29 PM »
The vehicles were all parked close to each other in the rental return lot.  One likely caught fire for some reason and the fire spread to the adjacent vehicles.  Not an uncommon occurrence in crowded parking lots.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 02:07:54 PM »
The vehicles we all parked close to each other in the rental return lot.  One likely caught fire for some reason and the fire spread to the adjacent vehicles.  Not an uncommon occurrence in crowded parking lots.

That's a simple and boring explanation though.  :'(
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 02:11:17 PM »
That's a simple and boring explanation though.  :'(

And not nearly as much fun.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 02:28:31 PM »
And not nearly as much fun.
And it's JUST the sort of disinformation you'd expect in a cover up!   [tinfoil]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 03:19:18 PM »
Were the rentals just used to ferry USSS personnel who were traveling in for the detail?  I doubt they were used as part of the actual POTUS protection. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 03:26:48 PM »
Were the rentals just used to ferry USSS personnel who were traveling in for the detail?  I doubt they were used as part of the actual POTUS protection.

USSS always has a ton of agents hidden in the crowds and around the area.  Using generic rental vehicles lets them blend in better.

Many years ago I flew a commercial flight with 13 USSS agents on board.  Only three or four looked like cops.  Some looked like Joe Average and two of them looked like biker gang members.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 03:29:33 PM »
USSS always has a ton of agents hidden in the crowds and around the area.  Using generic rental vehicles lets them blend in better.

Many years ago I flew a commercial flight with 13 USSS agents on board.  Only three or four looked like cops.  Some looked like Joe Average and two of them looked like biker gang members.

Did by chance one of them have a buffalo horn hat?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 03:36:40 PM »
I don't remember any hats like that, but it could have happened.  I do remember seeing all of the agents gathered together and thinking, "That guy is Secret Service?  He looks like he belongs on the most-wanted list."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 05:12:56 PM »
I don't remember any hats like that, but it could have happened.  I do remember seeing all of the agents gathered together and thinking, "That guy is Secret Service?  He looks like he belongs on the most-wanted list."

Of late I've begun to doubt that being on the most-wanted list is necessarily prohibitive of being on the government police payroll. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 07:46:11 PM »
I saw what I thought were rental vehicles ferrying Laura Bush once. Tahoes but pretty sure no government plates. Three of them on the interstate with state cops clearing traffic. Rear one had the back glass rolled down with a trunk monkey agent. I would assume with something belt fed. No chance of rentals for the actual pres. I have seen a few of those appearances and the helicopter and vehicle shell game is something else. Kinda like the time I thought I would visit HMX-1 because they fly the same helos I worked on. Yeah.... I didn't even slow down or look directly at the fence. The double fence with four man and one dog Marine patrols in between it with plenty of signage as to your impending death.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2022, 06:55:13 PM »
Maybe the owners didn't want to touch the cars after Biden's crew rode in them.