Author Topic: TSA pulls plug on Nude-O-Scopes - Sort Of  (Read 2225 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
TSA pulls plug on Nude-O-Scopes - Sort Of
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/01/tsa-abandons-nude-scanners/?cid=5396664

The scanners will still be in use, but using ATR.  Automated Target Recognition software produces generic outlines of passengers instead of virtual nude images.  TSA is also abandoning its deployment of the backscatter scanners made by Rapiscan, because the company could not meet deadlines to switch to ATR.

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: TSA pulls plug on Nude-O-Scopes - Sort Of
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:22:55 PM »
Small step in the right direction. Now for a big step and scrap the stupid things altogether.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 03:44:15 PM »
So, will this increase or decrease the number of false positives?

=|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
If you want some insight into the idiocy of the TSA , read a blog called "Taking Sense Away"

I'm on my phone so I don't have a url
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 04:21:55 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 04:35:24 PM »
TSA is also abandoning its deployment of the backscatter scanners made by Rapiscan, because the company could not meet deadlines to switch to ATR.

That was a poorly thought out name for a company that makes body scanners. I always read it as "rapey-scan".
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 07:22:21 PM »
That was a poorly thought out name for a company that makes body scanners. I always read it as "rapey-scan".

Glad I'm not the only one!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »

Better than Proboscan.  :O
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 09:10:38 PM »

Don't give them any ideas.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 11:43:37 PM »

Same here.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 12:46:47 AM »
Looks like Skellator gets a new payday.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 09:01:42 AM »
Gee.  Now I can fly again. :D
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 09:50:01 AM »

So, would a scanner operator be a Probocop?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

erictank

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 02:03:22 PM »
Important fact - the MMW machines still take nude pictures. They just don't DISPLAY them for the operator anymore, with the new ATR software.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 07:11:26 PM »
Flying out of ATL today, it was the magnetometer, not the mm wave radar.  First time in months.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 08:38:31 PM »
So, would a scanner operator be a Probocop?
So, like, put this one in your mouth and this one in your butt.  No, wait, this one goes in your mouth and this one goes in your butt.  .........

Idiocracy, it is coming true.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge