Author Topic: Stephen King releases a pro-gun control essay  (Read 4491 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Stephen King releases a pro-gun control essay
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2013/01/25/stephen-king-releases-gun-control-essay/

Best-selling author Stephen King has just released a passionate call for greater gun control, titled “Guns.” In a coup for Amazon, the essay is available only through its Kindle Store for 99 cents.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Stephen King releases a pro-gun control essay
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:01:28 PM »
Based on his recent work I'd say it's probably 700 pages long and consists mostly of irrelevant backstory.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »
Based on his recent work I'd say it's probably 700 pages long and consists mostly of irrelevant backstory.

8000 words, pretty short.

I do applaud him for this, though:

In the 1970s, he published a novel called “Rage” under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. It told the story of a high school kid who takes a gun to school, shoots his Algebra teacher and holds a class hostage. “Rage” sold only a few thousand copies, but starting in the late 1980s, King began to hear about teenage boys who were inspired by the book to commit similar crimes in their own schools. He does not think that his novel “caused” these young men to kill, but he says, “I saw ‘Rage’ as a possible accelerant.” In response, he demanded that his publisher pull the book from publication.

He put his money where his mouth was, despite still being "Richard Bachman" rather than Steven King, and probably making next to nothing at the time and needing the royalties of all his titles.

I don't agree with the notion that fictional ideas subliminally inspire true horror, but if he believes it then he took a principled stand and that's honorable.

That being said, the man knows jack-$#!+ about guns and has written about .44magnum automatic Rugers, which we know are nonsensical.  He's not an authority on firearms and probably talking out of his @$$.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 06:15:22 PM »
Stephen King has always been left-wing/statist. Anyone reading his early fiction or non-fiction books would have already known that much.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »
Technically Ruger did make a semi carbine in .44 mag, but yeah King is still ignorant.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »
I want to see King debate Correia on their respective essays.  Would be worth the price of admission.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 08:31:35 PM »
He's a tool and has offered his idiotic liberal ideas before.  I quit reading his books long ago.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 10:21:03 PM »
Oh, the horror!
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 11:28:06 PM »
I want to see King debate Correia on their respective essays.  Would be worth the price of admission.

One of my favorite things Correia has said about Stephen King:

In his book on writing, Stephen King has a story about how when he became successful, he built a house with a great big writing office, and he put a giant writing desk in the middle of the room. Then he wouldn’t let his children in the room. He said that for years his family and his writing suffered, then he moved the desk off to the side of the room, so the family could be in the middle, and that made everything better. I heard somebody tell this story at a Con once, and everybody in the audience nodded along at the profound wisdom… Whatever. I think King is a narcissistic *expletive deleted*che (mostly because I happen to know soldiers can read! Shocking!) and if he had family problems during that time frame I’d be more inclined to think it was from snorting all that cocaine and not from the relative positioning of his desk. But whatever… That’s why he gets ten bazillion dollars per book and I don’t.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »
Stephen King... now there is a guy that just might not be allowed to own a firearm if there were psychological requirements.  But since he came out with this essay, he will continue to be one of the "in crowd".
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 10:48:52 AM »
He is an incredible wordsmith.  His politics / worldview suck swamp water.  To hell with him.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
Stephen King... now there is a guy that just might not be allowed to own a firearm if there were psychological requirements.  But since he came out with this essay, he will continue to be one of the "in crowd".

<shrug>  So?

I'm thinking, a lot of what are presented to us as the "in crowd" would likewise be ineligible.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »
You think he'd lobby for van control first.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 12:42:42 PM »
I haven't read the piece, but I did read a review of the piece on Slate.  

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/01/25/stephen_king_guns_kindle_single_on_amazon_is_worth_reading_though_it_needed.html

It was a funny review.  The reviewer was very disturbed that King owns *gasp* three handguns, and that he criticized the media's reporting of mass shootings.  So, the gun banners aren't too happy with him either, since though he is in favor of more regulation, he won't stick to their script.  

The review also links to David Mamet's recent piece on gun control, which, despite the reviewers opinion, is a good read:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2013/01/28/gun-laws-and-the-fools-of-chelm-by-david-mamet.html
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:46:16 PM by red headed stranger »
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »

Oh snap!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
You win the Internet for a day.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »
Stephen King has always been left-wing/statist. Anyone reading his early fiction or non-fiction books would have already known that much.

Exactly!  He has written in favor of gun control in the past, so this is nothing new.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 12:00:02 AM »

And like most King stories as well as anti-gun stories, the good guy dies in the end.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »
Anybody who writes Horror stories has to be anti-gun.

If people have guns, there are no Horror stories  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 11:56:48 AM »
Anybody who writes Horror stories has to be anti-gun.

If people have guns, there are no Horror stories  :P
Sure there are. Because people can have guns in inadequate calibers and ammo is finite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3xeHPdm7e-Y
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 01:27:43 PM »
That's never happened to me before.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »
“In the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings,” King writes, “gun advocates have to ask themselves if their zeal to protect even the outer limits of gun ownership have anything to do with preserving the Second Amendment as a whole, or if it’s just a stubborn desire to hold onto what they have, and to hell with the collateral damage.”

Uhm. Yes? To both parts?

Acknowledging the political difficulty of getting new restrictions passed, he notes that meaningful change will only happen “if gun advocates get behind it.”

Correct, and they won't if they want to get a dime in contributions. We will Zumbo folks. We will Zumbo them hard if they are morons and try to sell us out.

Flip side is... Why should we? We're not having a discussion, compromise or dialog. We're being told to give up stuff in exchange for nothing. Magazine or clip restrictions won't stop loonies. I'd entertain discussion, compromise or dialog if we got something in return. Eliminate Hughes, and we'll talk about enhanced background checks. Pull the leash HARD on the BATFE, and we'll consider ... whatever. Not saying we'll give in. But if there is no sign of good faith, game theory demands we dig in our feet for ANY gun control proposal.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 08:10:32 PM »
Does King tell his children bed time stories?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 11:21:27 PM »
The only thing scarier than King's fiction is his mug.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 05:04:51 AM »
Does King tell his children bed time stories?

:O Scarred for LIFE.