Author Topic: Postal Service to end Saturday mail delivery starting in August  (Read 5166 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Postal Service to end Saturday mail delivery starting in August
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 04:41:18 PM »
I wonder what the adjusted cost of First Class postage is over the history of the USPS.

IOW, if it was a nickel in 1955, would 50 cents nowadays be totally out of line?  ???

But the amount of mail sent out (and postage perchased) is so much less. I'm supprised it hasn't gone up more.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Postal Service to end Saturday mail delivery in August
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 04:59:53 PM »
How much of that suburban urban park and walk deliveries is offset by the rural stop and go deliveries (and much of it in SUV and 4WD vehicals) at a lower volume of mail over a larger territory?

Around here most of the rural carriers drive personally owned vehicles and use the tax right off to pay for it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 05:11:16 PM »
Around here most of the rural carriers drive personally owned vehicles and use the tax right off to pay for it.

are they post office employees or independent contract curiours?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
SO far as I know they are USPS employees. Not sure of the details but there are IRS rules about using your vehicle for the  job. The rural mail carriers I've talked to say the tax breaks and mileage makes up for the use of the private car.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 09:22:44 PM »
are they post office employees or independent contract curiours?
I think some are contract but I have no first hand knowledge. 

Also, many new neighborhoods are set up with mail boxes all in one place or just a few places.  They don't go to every house. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 11:25:36 PM »
Almost all rural carriers are contract. The trend out here in BFE is to go to part time post office employees too in order to dodge the benefits. hat is the correct plan, but I personally know 15 year postal employees that may not make it to retirement due to job down-sizing.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
When a buddy and I were about 13, we were walking through the woods behind my house and came out at the dead end of a street that was being created.  The final half mile wasn't even paved yet and there were only houses on the other end.  In this secluded spot, we saw our mail carrier's car parked next to another vehicle.  You couldn't really see anybody in either car, but the mail car was kinda rockin' in a don't come a-knockin' fashion.
 :O
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 09:43:13 AM »
It is a permanent end not just a 1 month thing, it starts in August.  Sorry for the confusion in the subject line.

=D  =D  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 05:47:58 PM »
When a buddy and I were about 13, we were walking through the woods behind my house and came out at the dead end of a street that was being created.  The final half mile wasn't even paved yet and there were only houses on the other end.  In this secluded spot, we saw our mail carrier's car parked next to another vehicle.  You couldn't really see anybody in either car, but the mail car was kinda rockin' in a don't come a-knockin' fashion.
 :O
Special delivery
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 08:24:25 PM »
SO far as I know they are USPS employees. Not sure of the details but there are IRS rules about using your vehicle for the  job. The rural mail carriers I've talked to say the tax breaks and mileage makes up for the use of the private car.

You generally can either depreciate and expense all of your costs or claim a mileage rate for use.  More record keeping for the depreciation and tracking expenses, but generally more favorable tax wise.

I am surprised it has taken this long to make this change.  The big change if it is enacted is the next day first class mail delivery within a certain range going to two day.  Essentially everything gets bumped one day longer.  I don't believe this is included in the current proposal but it was previously.

The USPS is between a rock and hard place.  They are a quasi governmental agency and subject to the whims of the legislature.  If they are a government agency, then they should just be brought back to solvency just like all the other government agencies spending money.  If they are a private business, they should be able to make their own business decisions.

I feel sure closing a bunch of small post offices in urban and rural areas will bug a lot of people, but the whole thing has gotten obese.  The fat needs to be cut.  The sooner it happens the better.

I for one have been using the USPS for my business stuff much more this year than the last few.  I just can't justify spending $30 > $60 for a small package delivery any more when I only loose a single day in terms of delivery. I have already made changes to my project structure and if a customer wants next day delivery, they pay for it beyond the price I quote.  My savings in January alone were over $300 and I am a very small business.  FedEx misses my smiling face several times a week now.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 10:42:43 PM »
This might be good for business....  run on PO box rentals so the holder can continue to get saturday delivery of mail.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)