Author Topic: Survey shows share of homes w/guns shows 4-decade decline  (Read 4689 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Survey shows share of homes w/guns shows 4-decade decline
« on: March 12, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/us/rate-of-gun-ownership-is-down-survey-shows.html

According to data from the General Social Survey, gun ownership is falling.

The household gun ownership rate has fallen from an average of 50 percent in the 1970s to 49 percent in the 1980s, 43 percent in the 1990s and 35 percent in the 2000s, according to the survey data, analyzed by The New York Times.

All sorts of theories are offered as to why:

Tom W. Smith, the director of the General Social Survey, which is financed by the National Science Foundation, said he was confident in the trend. It lines up, he said, with two evolving patterns in American life: the decline of hunting and a sharp drop in violent crime, which has made the argument for self-protection much less urgent.

I guess they just cannot get it through their heads that somebody would lie to them on their survey.   ;/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Survey shows share of homes w/guns shows 4-decade decline
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 05:45:37 PM »

I guess they just cannot get it through their heads that somebody would lie to them on their survey.   ;/

Given the "chickification" of America along with policy domination by urban population centers and the decline in the role of male role models in the majority of family units, I can believe it's dropped from 50% to 35%.

There might be a few people lying... but there aren't enough tin-foil-savvy people out there to warp a survey's statistics with that type of lie.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 06:10:32 PM »
Given the "chickification" of America along with policy domination by urban population centers and the decline in the role of male role models in the majority of family units, I can believe it's dropped from 50% to 35%.

There might be a few people lying... but there aren't enough tin-foil-savvy people out there to warp a survey's statistics with that type of lie.

All this, plus many of the potential liars would simply not participate in the first place.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 06:15:46 PM »
I don't know too many folks who'd answer some random stranger calling them up asking them if they have valuable and easily stolen items. "Do you have any guns in the house? Real jewelry? How consistent are you in setting your alarm system?"
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 06:16:33 PM »
I'd also add the following logic:

1. People are getting married later in life, or not at all.
2. This increases the number of households total.
3. This increases the number of female-only households in the sample set.
4. People are getting divorced more readily than before.
5. This also increases the number of female-led households in the sample set.
6. While not all women are hoplophobes, hoplophobia has a higher rate of indication in female than male subjects.
7. A combined household of 1 female hoplophobe and 1 male non-hoplophobe will still net a household with a gun.
8. However, those two people not combined net a 50% rate rather than a 100% rate of gun presence.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »
Let me ask this:  How many of you would, when called on the phone or on the 'net,  asked if you had firearms, admit you had firearms in your home.

That survey is meaningless.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 07:50:04 PM »
^^^a random call out of the blue?  i would not.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:15:16 PM »
^^^a random call out of the blue?  i would not.

+1
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 09:16:21 PM »
We may not know the real numbers of this survey, but we certainly know the cultural drift of this nation.  And it's not positive for ANY civil liberty.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 09:37:03 PM »
Let me ask this:  How many of you would, when called on the phone or on the 'net,  asked if you had firearms, admit you had firearms in your home.

That survey is meaningless.

I don't answer any damn telephone surveys.

All these millions of guns being sold every year have to be somewhere...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 12:46:07 AM »
I don't answer any damn telephone surveys.

All these millions of guns being sold every year have to be somewhere...  =|

AZ makes a very cogent point as to what defines a "household" could arguably have doubled since the 1950's.

And what are the demographics of those getting these calls? They CLAIM it's balanced or whatnot, but with people only having cell phones, VOIP, Google Voice... Hell, I haven't had a land line in over a decade now.
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 04:11:55 AM »
I do not doubt that less people own guns than did in 1950.

There were lots of social trends that encouraged a decline in gun ownership from that time and up until very recently.

However I have seen polls that show a light rebound in the years 2011-2013. Anyone with a detailed insight?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 08:22:18 AM »

There were lots of social trends that encouraged a decline in gun ownership from that time and up until very recently.

However I have seen polls that show a light rebound in the years 2011-2013. Anyone with a detailed insight?

I doubt that fewer1 people own guns than in 1950.

Now I wouldn't be surprised if a smaller percentage of people and households own guns, but given population gains in this country, fewer people owning guns is almost impossible.

Further, the younger generation is interested in guns for more than just hunting (in response to points made in the article) because whether you hunt or not, guns are fun. I think we are seeing a shift in gun culture away from hunters to "self defense" (I put that in quotes because many of these people are in it for the fun, with the side benefit of self-defense). This helps explain the explosion in popularity of the "evil black rifles" and the associated accessories and magazines (the paper kind).

[1] (That's a little grammar lesson, Micro, that most Americans get wrong. If something can be counted, e.g. people, you use fewer, rather than less when describing a smaller number of them. Less is used with items that are not counted, but may be measured, like flour. For example: fewer bullets, less lead. )
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 08:56:22 AM »
It's my belief that with so many assaults on privacy today, fewer people are willing to admit to having guns (or any other valuable item) when asked by some unknown survey taker; in fact, I've read that the overall "refuse to respond" rate for ANY survey is increasing every year . . . even the US Census is having trouble getting people to fill out the census "long form" which asks intrusive questions about income, living quarters, and daily commuting schedule.

Many households in places with repressive gun restrictions (e.g., Chicago) have every incentive to NOT admit to owning guns. (I grew up there, and have very strong reason to believe that many more households owned guns than were represented on the city's gun registration rolls.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

longeyes

• friend
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 12:18:28 AM »

I do. Even going by these statistics, 35% of 315 million people is a lot more than 50% of 151 million people. ;)
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 12:24:29 AM »
I don't doubt either that firearm ownership on a per capita basis has declined since the 50's.  However, folks today (my opinion) are less likely to respond honestly to a survey.  I know if I am asked if I own firearms and I have in surveys, I say NO.  If the doctor asked me... I say NO.  The only people who know I own firearms are people I am close to or run into shooting.  If a survey asked if I am a Democrat or Republican, I say Independant regardless.  If a survey asked what my household income is (even in broad ranges), I say either a very high or very low number or don't respond.  It is not anyone's business what the answer is.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

TechMan

• Administrator

erictank

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »
Imagine that - yet another mass-media twit who can't be bothered to show his political opponents the respect due the average person you bump into on the street. But WE had damn well better behave ourselves and not call them out for their actions and attitudes...  [barf]

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
I don't doubt either that firearm ownership on a per capita basis has declined since the 50's.  However, folks today (my opinion) are less likely to respond honestly to a survey.  I know if I am asked if I own firearms and I have in surveys, I say NO.  If the doctor asked me... I say NO.  The only people who know I own firearms are people I am close to or run into shooting.  If a survey asked if I am a Democrat or Republican, I say Independant regardless.  If a survey asked what my household income is (even in broad ranges), I say either a very high or very low number or don't respond.  It is not anyone's business what the answer is.
Agreed.  My parents used to tell us repeatedly as kids to not talk about what nice things and valuables we had.  Even if they aren't crooks, they talk to other people.  I haven't see any reason to change from that habit.  A surveyor might as well ask how much expensive jewelrey people keep in the house, then confirm their address.

I personally think the number of people who have one or a few guns is very high.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 04:19:53 PM »
If these results are true I'd be able to buy ammo.

If these results are true, gun stores would not be all over town.

If these results are true, Wal-Mart would be out of the gun and ammo business.

If these results are true, there would not be so many gun, ammo, accessory, and training businesses.

If these results are true, CCW would not be nearly so popular

If these results are true, the leftists would not be running scared like they are.

If these results are true, the AWB and all other manner of gun control laws would have been passed shortly after Sandy Hook.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »
Meh.
Too many other factors for this data to have merit. Population is larger, demographics have shifted as to definition of household, people lieing and I'm betting some indescrepincies in the survey group as well (which has always been an issue on survey data)

I belive sales numbers for firearms over the last ten years discredit the idea that firearm ownership is less popular then it was in the 50's.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds