Author Topic: Jim Carrey Posts Gun Control Video  (Read 6510 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Jim Carrey Posts Gun Control Video
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
Yeah, I'm so heartless I vaccinate my child too. I'm also so heartless, I didn't abandon him.

Oh, that's right, we're supposed to care about children in the abstract just like people. Specific children (even your own) or people can go to hell.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:38:08 AM »
Dumb or dumber? I'd say dumbass. If his goal was to offend and alienate a large number of folks, he succeded. Not good for someone who makes a living off of others paying to see him.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »
He and Bloomberg should collaborate on a gun control video, just to ensure they capture all the stereotypes, save duplication of effort, etc.

Greg Gutfeld let him have it:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2253162750001/?intcmp=features
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 11:48:47 AM »
Good taste vanishes for this crowd when guns come up.  This is unseemly idiocy, not humor.  Too bad, the guy used to be funny.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »
Good taste vanishes for this crowd when guns come up.  This is unseemly idiocy, not humor.  Too bad, the guy used to be funny.

I take it as good news.

This is coming from the guy who was too irritating to go the distance with Jenny McCarthy. (let this sink in for a moment...) An anti-vaccination airhead who "cured" her (never) autistic son, and cemented her career by telling fart jokes on MTV after her stint as a Playmate was over.

This is not some deep, heartfelt, and visceral response to his anti-gun beliefs. While I'm sure it's his nominal opinion on the matter, in reality, he's taking a play from the Piers Morgan book. He's pouncing on the hot button issue of the moment on the "there's no such thing as bad publicity" theory. I see a lot of anecdotal evidence he's a deeply unhappy person searching for "gravitas" that has eluded him his whole career. His attempts at serious cinema to re-make his comedy image, like the Truman Show, and The Majestic have left him frustrated. Dumb and Dumber, Ace Ventura, and his serious films haven't helped. So now he's trying to combine both.

We've had some minor setbacks in a few states, I say "minor" in terms of what we COULD have been facing nationwide. And I take it as a positive sign that the people who seem to be getting the most traction with the anti-RKBA message of late are the ones who underneath it all are really just whoring it out for their own purposes.  =)
I promise not to duck.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 01:13:19 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 08:57:36 AM »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 09:06:24 AM »
Good taste vanishes for this crowd when guns come up anyone dares to disagree with them.  This is unseemly idiocy, not humor.  Too bad, the guy used to be funny, a long time ago.

FTFY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 01:08:04 PM »
Well, I never thought he was funny. The only movie he's had that I actually liked was The Truman Show.

Seems to me he's been a horse's ass for a long time now.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 01:12:57 PM »
I always thought he was incredibly annoying, but he really raised the bar on this one.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »
He croons that Charlton Heston's movies are no longer in demand.  He must be thinking of his own.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »
Charlton Heston's chest hair had more talent and integrity than Jim Carrey.

I'm sure it takes real guts and moral fortitude to engage in puerile mockery of the principles of a dead man whose accomplishments you couldn't remotely emulate in a hundred lifetimes.  ;/
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 02:41:23 PM »
A good rebuttal to the idiot's video.

Yeah, Destinee did a great job.  No emotion.  No insults.  Just factual.  She's sharp, and a good example of why Carrey, Peirs Morgan, Bloomberg, and some of the others are so wrong to pigeonhole gun owners.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 08:42:24 PM »
Yeah, Destinee did a great job.  No emotion.  No insults.  Just factual.  She's sharp, and a good example of why Carrey, Peirs Morgan, Bloomberg, and some of the others are so wrong to pigeonhole gun owners.

And it's not every college girl that keeps a pistol caliber carbine-y thing lying in a corner of her couch while reviewing something completely different.

Ditto to those above that liked Truman Show but find his humor otherwise annoying.  Like a hyperactive six year old with a potty mouth.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 08:48:43 PM »
I find her incredibly attractive for some reason
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 10:09:40 PM »
And it's not every college girl that keeps a pistol caliber carbine-y thing lying in a corner of her couch while reviewing something completely different.

Ditto to those above that liked Truman Show but find his humor otherwise annoying.  Like a hyperactive six year old with a potty mouth.
Looks like one of those Russian 7.62X25 rifles sold as a pistol. 

I recall liking the Truman Show, but it wasn't a movie I watch over and over.  The first Pet Detective movie is one i can watch repeatedly.  Most of his humor is not so good.  I could never stand his In Living Color stuff. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 10:17:40 PM »

It's probably the bracelet.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 07:22:35 AM »

Since SWMBO isn't an APS member, I can safely agree with you.  Always had a thing for attractive females who can shoot...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 09:22:09 AM »
Behold the "butt talking dancing monkey": http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 10:16:15 AM »
I always thought he was incredibly annoying, but he really raised the bar on this one.

Same here. Never thought he was the least bit funny.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »
I liked some of his work. In the Living Color days he was good at over the top sketch comedy (the karate instructor is just classic, right up there with John Cleese), and the Mask was pretty good, mostly because he essentially is a living cartoon.

His political opinions... Who gives a rat's ass?

And the whole Charlton Heston thing? Yeah. Fighting a dead guy. Stay classy, Jim.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 07:18:17 PM »
there is a rebuttal

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/28/reason-tv-gives-rebuttal-to-jim-carrey-video

Video at the bottom of the article.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 09:08:28 PM »
Well, I never thought he was funny. The only movie he's had that I actually liked was The Truman Show.

Seems to me he's been a horse's ass for a long time now.

Bruce Almighty was also good.  I didn't see that Batman movie where he was The Riddler, he was probably good in that too.  Jim Carrey is a clown, he needs to embrace that -- he can do serious roles too (like Truman) but they need to be a bit peculiar to work.

I didn't watch his whole gun control video; it was offensive.  But to be fair, I didn't watch all of that cute girl's rebuttal either because it was kind of slow and boring after a while (even tho' I agreed with her.  Maybe because I agreed with her)

ETA: Reason's "talking ass" video isn't bad:  http://youtu.be/f1ULcGyCGTo   =)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:12:52 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 11:42:37 PM »
She's intelligent, articulate, logical, and pro-gun.
You have good taste.  =)
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).