Author Topic: FAA Release New Drone List  (Read 2455 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
FAA Release New Drone List
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:14:13 AM »
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/02/faa-releases-new-list-drone-authorizations-your-local-law-enforcement-agency-map

EFF used FOIA to get the list. 81 public entities have applied for FAA drone authorizations through 10/12.

The link has a map with the applicants location.

Read more at the linky.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: FAA Release New Drone List
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 05:02:47 PM »
OK, technically I'm not on the list.  But I'm within 2 blocks of the city/county border via the main highway, and maybe 300 yards as the crow flies from a nest of criminal goings-on in the city.

Should I move the lawn chair out into the front yard (unrestricted view) and sit there reading nasty books (Consitution of the United States, The Federalist Papers, stuff like that) in hopes that the RPD drone catches me as it makes its orbiting turn?

There's laws against pointing laser devices at manned aircraft.  Can't find anything about UAVs.  Maybe I should start practicing keeping the green laser on a moving target?  Never can tell when I might have to take a shot at a zombie deer/raccoon quartering away from me.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 05:18:07 AM »
OK, technically I'm not on the list.  But I'm within 2 blocks of the city/county border via the main highway, and maybe 300 yards as the crow flies from a nest of criminal goings-on in the city.

Should I move the lawn chair out into the front yard (unrestricted view) and sit there reading nasty books (Consitution of the United States, The Federalist Papers, stuff like that) in hopes that the RPD drone catches me as it makes its orbiting turn?

There's laws against pointing laser devices at manned aircraft.  Can't find anything about UAVs.  Maybe I should start practicing keeping the green laser on a moving target?  Never can tell when I might have to take a shot at a zombie deer/raccoon quartering away from me.

stay safe.

Hrrmmm...

You know those paintball/airsoft sentry turrets that use simple software and a webcam? Maybe you can rig up a self-aiming laser pointer to illuminate any stray UAV's.  >:D

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 08:26:34 AM »
The map seems fairly pointless to me- the drones have a fairly long range right?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 08:49:41 AM »
The map seems fairly pointless to me- the drones have a fairly long range right?

Depends upon how long you want them to be on station.

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:03:28 PM »
OMG! Look! Airplanes in the sky! Death from above!!!!! We're all gonna DIE!!!!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »
OMG! Look! Reconnaissance Airplanes in the sky! Surveillance Death from above!!!!! We're all gonna get labeled as subversives DIE!!!!

As someone who did ISR for the better part of his adult life against non-US countries, I fixed that for you...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 03:21:05 PM »
It amazes me when folks are so knee jerk pro government that they're happy to see the techniques we use against enemy combatants in foreign theaters used against Americans. Wake the hell up, to the .gov the biggest threat is folks who like guns and the Constitution.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 04:22:39 PM »
Yes because the fact that I dont piss my pants at the thought of a remotely operated airplane that has some cameras bolted in automatically makes me "kneejerk pro .gov"

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 05:06:41 PM »
Yes because the fact that I dont piss my pants at the thought of a remotely operated airplane that has some cameras bolted in automatically makes me "kneejerk pro .gov"

Eh. They already have helicopters and have for years.

I figure the only thing a drone can do better is loiter for longer periods of time for less money and/or having to be replaced by another unit. IOW, no new capability. Color me unimpressed.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »
I lived, ate, and breathed Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance for a very long time. 

I knew why we were doing it, and what the results were used for.

I am also very glad that the Intelligence Oversight Program forbids the CIA and other alphabet soup agencies from spying on U.S. citizens without proper cause and permissions.

http://atsdio.defense.gov/faq.html

Leave it for somebody to try to subvert that rule under the auspices of Homeland Security.   :mad:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 06:15:09 PM »
Eh. They already have helicopters and have for years.

I figure the only thing a drone can do better is loiter for longer periods of time for less money and/or having to be replaced by another unit. IOW, no new capability. Color me unimpressed.

Don't forget the large number of fixed wing aircraft.
And a helo can deliver a fully armed, dog-killing SWAT team to your rooftop. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 06:18:02 PM »

You're also second only to CSD in automatically defending cops who murder folks, so yeah... And in your case I think you actually believe it, while I'm fairly certain CSD is just trolling most of the time.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 06:48:48 PM »
Don't forget the large number of fixed wing aircraft.
And a helo can deliver a fully armed, dog-killing SWAT team to your rooftop.  
or an improvised firebomb if SWAT is a little tired today.

But its possible that's only a Philadelphia thing.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »
You're also second only to CSD in automatically defending cops who murder folks, so yeah... And in your case I think you actually believe it, while I'm fairly certain CSD is just trolling most of the time.
Balog, I sincerely hope your chronic case of butthurt that you show symptoms of frequently in your posts clears up sometime in the near future. Must hurt something awful, bless your heart.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 08:25:54 PM »
Well, now. 

This thread got personal in only one page.

How about that?