Author Topic: Campus bans guns, tells people to nod at attackers  (Read 3503 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Campus bans guns, tells people to nod at attackers
« on: June 07, 2013, 03:59:47 PM »
http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/06/campus-bans-guns-tells-people-to-nod-at-attackers/

Arkansas implemented concealed carry and allowed universities to prohibit CC on campus.  As usual most universities prohibited CC on campus.  In email between University of Arkansas at Little Rock faculty discussing being attacked at a certain location near campus a UALR detective responded with the following advice:
“A glance or a nod will help you show anyone who might think that you are not paying attention, and you are aware of their presence.”
  A faculty member comments that he was attacked from behind in this area.

Some of the comments are priceless.

From the comments:

Easy-- the first blow to the back of your head will cause it to go downwards; if you retain consciousness, just lift it up slightly (i.e., the second part of the critical nod maneuver). This will both inform your attacker that you remain conscious, and better enable him to target his second blow. You can repeat as necessary.

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Campus bans guns, tells people to nod at attackers
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:02:41 PM »
Yet more proof that rules are for prey and tax chattel.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
With that kind of idiocy being promulgated, who still thinks that universities are a source of knowledge ?  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 04:06:12 PM »
More from the comments:

1st: Nod
2nd: ask politely to stop
3rd: curl into fetal position
4th: pee yourself and try to throw up on them
5th: hope some person with a gun comes and saves your pathetic butt before they kill you.

6th: try to position yourself in such a manner so that your chalk outline will not be too embarrassing. . .
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hutch

• friend
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 07:37:21 PM »
I've got a new business going selling urine for college women to use in self-defense scenarios.

Absolutely NOT to be used for passing drug tests.
I promise not to duck.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 07:52:48 PM »
Draw your wakizashi, inform them of your linage, and cut them from shoulder to sternum. Wipe sword blade, re-sheath, bow slightly, and resume your business. No need for guns. =D

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 08:22:35 PM »
This is one of many reasons I am glad I pursued grad school online

Not only can I carry on campus, I can also walk around campus nekkid if I so choose
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 09:03:51 PM »

Not only can I carry on campus, I can also walk around campus nekkid if I so choose

Damn you for that mental image....please pass the brain bleach.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 10:30:29 PM »
http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/06/campus-bans-guns-tells-people-to-nod-at-attackers/

Arkansas implemented concealed carry and allowed universities to prohibit CC on campus.  As usual most universities prohibited CC on campus.  In email between University of Arkansas at Little Rock faculty discussing being attacked at a certain location near campus a UALR detective responded with the following advice:   A faculty member comments that he was attacked from behind in this area.

Some of the comments are priceless.

From the comments:

Easy-- the first blow to the back of your head will cause it to go downwards; if you retain consciousness, just lift it up slightly (i.e., the second part of the critical nod maneuver). This will both inform your attacker that you remain conscious, and better enable him to target his second blow. You can repeat as necessary.

Actually, making eye contact can be a deterent to the attacker. It shows that one is aware of the potential attack and that one may be ready to defend an attack. It is much better than averting one's eyes, which is what prey does.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 10:37:28 PM »
Draw your wakizashi, inform them of your linage, and cut them from shoulder to sternum. Wipe sword blade, re-sheath, bow slightly, and resume your business. No need for guns. =D

1995, that was me.  Had the full katana, but yeah...  :lol:  That kind of cut with a wakizashi is a bit tricky.  Might want a full nodachi for that one.

Walked around campus all day, me and another classmate, with katana.  No worries at all.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 10:51:47 PM »
Actually, making eye contact can be a deterent to the attacker. It shows that one is aware of the potential attack and that one may be ready to defend an attack. It is much better than averting one's eyes, which is what prey does.

Sure...if you're facing a potential mugger. They don't want to put in any more effort than they have to.

A mass murderer? Not so much...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 12:12:15 AM »

I am right there with you, figuratively, of course!

bob

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 12:00:09 PM »

Draw sword, check
Inform of lineage, check
Cut them from shoulder to sternum, close enough, check

Yup, this meme checks out.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 01:13:02 PM »
Damn you for that mental image....please pass the brain bleach.

[/URL]
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TechMan

• Administrator

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 01:28:53 PM »
What the hell?

Got yer mind off of Fitz, nekkid didn't it?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 10:30:41 PM »
There are times when the tendancy of APS members to drift a thread becomes disturbing and outright weird.

This is one of those times. Fitz, put your damn clothes on and Sargent Bob stop trying to take our minds off the aforementioned nakkid Fitz.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 11:17:53 PM »
Sure...if you're facing a potential mugger. They don't want to put in any more effort than they have to.

A mass murderer? Not so much...
Yeah. He'll probably take time out of his busy spree shooting to direct his full attention at you for doing so, seeing you as challenging his authoritah.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 05:05:43 AM »
Got yer mind off of Fitz, nekkid didn't it?
Well I guess so, but you could have posted a picture good looking female instead and not the spandex nightmare that you did. :)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 05:16:38 PM »
Well I guess so, but you could have posted a picture good looking female instead and not the spandex nightmare that you did. :)

I save that picture just for special occasions! [ar15]

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 07:49:45 PM »
Don't nod. Offer wine, cheese, and hugs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/12/AR2007071202356.html
So none of them went for the gun during the hug?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 12:15:24 AM »
So none of them went for the gun during the hug?

Of course not. That would just be giving in to the Cycle of Violence.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife