Author Topic: SCOTUS - Human Genes Cannot Be Patented  (Read 1569 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
SCOTUS - Human Genes Cannot Be Patented
« on: June 13, 2013, 03:03:37 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/13/supreme-court-rules-human-genes-cannot-be-patented/

SCOTUS ruled unanimously that companies cannot patent parts of naturally-occurring human genes.  This reverses 30 years of patents awarded by the USPTO.  Justice Thomas wrote the court's decision.

Click the link for more.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: SCOTUS - Human Genes Cannot Be Patented
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »
I wonder if naturally occurring plant genes will be the next? I.e. traits in agricultural crops.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 03:20:51 PM »
Allow me to point out the cloud that is bearing this silver lining.

Since no patent can be awarded for naturally occurring DNA... that then means your own DNA is public domain and you have no right to clones made from your genetic stock, or to control synthesis created from your genetic stock.  Hypothetically.

At least, that's where my disturbed little AZR44 mind went with this.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 03:23:59 PM »

Since no patent can be awarded for naturally occurring DNA... that then means your own DNA is public domain and you have no right to clones made from your genetic stock, or to control synthesis created from your genetic stock.  Hypothetically.

Would we really want a mini-AZR44 running around?  =D :P :lol:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 04:41:43 PM »

On the other end of that:  If someone patented a set of genes that you happen to possess, could they then come after you for licensing fees.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »
Looking at the article, the company developed a test that isolated a particular gene set in women and checked for mutations that indicate an increased risk of breast cancer.  They weren't trying to patent the test or method, they were trying to patent the particular gene set they were looking out.  I don't see how that is supposed to work.  To me, that is like the Wright Brothers taking out a patent for flying (any flying) rather than the patent for the steering and other techniques they developed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 05:21:17 PM »
Looking at the article, the company developed a test that isolated a particular gene set in women and checked for mutations that indicate an increased risk of breast cancer.  They weren't trying to patent the test or method, they were trying to patent the particular gene set they were looking out.  I don't see how that is supposed to work.  To me, that is like the Wright Brothers taking out a patent for flying (any flying) rather than the patent for the steering and other techniques they developed. 

Agreed.
Patents are either method/process or device patents.  Discovery of something that is acted upon by a device/method/process can't possibly meet the definition of unique (no prior art) and non-obvious to someone skilled in the art, as the prior art (the gene) already exists, and has forever, and the discovery is not unique, as technically anyone skilled in the art could find it, and it would be the "first approach"--since its a "discovery".

The better analogy is instead of patenting a new way to smelt iron, or a new thing to do with iron, patenting iron.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 05:36:58 PM »
What Birdman and MechAg said. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 06:27:29 PM »
agricola, who is that bird?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

agricola

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 06:47:18 PM »
agricola, who is that bird?

Adaora Akubilo, who the internets inform me is from one of your confusingly-spelt states. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"