Author Topic: Pennsylvania town’s $1,000-a-day fine is for the birds, residents say  (Read 1929 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/21/pennsylvania-town-residents-fight-1000-day-fine-for-feeding-birds/?intcmp=latestnews

Township passes an ordinance specifying the type of bird feeder that one can have in their back yard.  The ordinance calls for a squirrel proof tob and a catch basin affixed at the bottom and they have to empty the basin at least once a day.  In theory the ordinance is suppose to deter the habitation of squirrels and other rodents in the area.  Residents are also complaining about deer being attracted to the area with bird feeders and that is causing an increase the enforcement of the ordinance.

The commissioners president states that there is a flaw in the ordinance and that it needs to be looked at.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

fifth_column

• friend
The actual issue is lack of natural predation.  Maybe they should introduce a population of bobcats, coyotes, fisher (they eat squirrels, right?) or as a last resort, feral cats. 

Either that or detcord . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
The actual issue is lack of natural predation.  Maybe they should introduce a population of bobcats, coyotes, fisher (they eat squirrels, right?) or as a last resort, feral cats. 

Either that or detcord . . . .
Airguns clear the squirrel population up easily enough
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Assuming the feeder isn't visible from the street, how are the authorities going to check it?  Nosy neighbors?

Isn't this sort of thing considered a civil infraction?  Would a judge swear out a search warrant for something like this, especially if it was based solely on eyewitness testimony from neighbors?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Ixnay on the tar & feathers.  These councilcritters need to be drenched in hot unsulphured molasses, rolled in millet, and then staked out under one of those mega-flocks of grackles.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
Assuming the feeder isn't visible from the street, how are the authorities going to check it?  Nosy neighbors?

Isn't this sort of thing considered a civil infraction? Would a judge swear out a search warrant for something like this, especially if it was based solely on eyewitness testimony from neighbors?

For $1000?  What do you think!  (follow the money)
But I suspect the cops will just trespass; seize it w/o a warrant, and it'll cost you more than $1000 to fight the ticket.

Quote from:  adively
The ordinance calls for a squirrel proof tob and a catch basin affixed at the bottom and they have to empty the basin at least once a day.

Have you ever tried to make a tob actually squirrel-proof?  I don't think it can be done.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
Is there such a thing as a squirrel proof feeder? 

I had a bird feeder on a 3rd story apartment balcony once.  The pigeons pushed out all the decent birds and knocked the feed all over the place.  I got rid of it when I saw a rat climb up the wall and get into the feeder.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Assuming the feeder isn't visible from the street, how are the authorities going to check it?  Nosy neighbors?

Isn't this sort of thing considered a civil infraction?  Would a judge swear out a search warrant for something like this, especially if it was based solely on eyewitness testimony from neighbors?

The way things are tending in law enforcement I could see no knock swat raids and family dogs getting shot.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
What if one just tosses deer corn out in the yard and declares it a free for all?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Yes.  It's called a Yankee Flipper.

Aww...  I was hoping for something more appropriately named 'The Yankee Flinger'.   :lol:

Cliffh

• friend

Drones.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Airguns clear the squirrel population up easily enough

You beat me to it. Just allow the residents to plink the invading tree rats and the problem is solved.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
Ixnay on the tar & feathers.  These councilcritters need to be drenched in hot unsulphured molasses, rolled in millet, and then staked out under one of those mega-flocks of grackles.

Suet on the hoof?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design