Author Topic: Santorum out  (Read 10260 times)

HankB

• friend
Santorum out
« on: April 10, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/rick-santorum-calls-mitt-romney-concede-180027008.html

Gravely ill daughter, trailing badly, Santorum finally saw the writing on the wall and bowed out.

This leaves Gingrich as the only remaining "Not Mitt" challenger . . . I think I can hear him weakly saying "But I can still win! I can still win!"

Oh . . . Ron Paul may still be out there somewhere, too. Last I heard he was back home to campaign in Texas.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Marnoot

• friend

longeyes

• friend
Re: Santorum out
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »
Now we find out who Romney really works for.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:02:12 PM »
Looking at it dispassionately, and based on actual voting/signing records, Romney is actually better on guns than either Newt or Santorum.  :O

Further reading shows me that the Massachusetts AWB he signed was really a clarification and re-affirmation of the existing AWB, and had some minor improvements in it for gun-owners like making (federal) post-ban rifles possible to own.

I'm still cheesed it's Romney, and with the inevitability mantle his campaign took early on although one can argue that should make you angrier at the GOP rather than Romney himself... Looking at his actual record, other than his stubborn unwillingness to disavow Romney care in Massachusetts, I don't see all that wrong with the platform.

And if the circumstantial evidence is true, folks like Paul Ryan, and even Ron Paul himself may well have his ear.

I'm also reminded that the saint himself, Reagan moved a lot to the Right over the years leading up to his presidency, and even then, he was far from a perfect conservative in some things.

Hell, even if you're totally convinced this means the end of the Republic, vote for Romney anyway, because he means more time to bottle water, and stock up on ammo and our kids to get a little older before SHTF.  =|
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »
AJ: I go between the "it buys us time" theory, and the "Bush with GOP House and Senate did more damage than Clinton with a GOP House and Senate" hope for gridlock strategy. In the end, there's no way in hell my state is going red in 2012 so my wote doesn't really do much either way. =|
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 05:32:42 PM »
Santorum out

Good.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 05:46:34 PM »
AJ: I go between the "it buys us time" theory, and the "Bush with GOP House and Senate did more damage than Clinton with a GOP House and Senate" hope for gridlock strategy. In the end, there's no way in hell my state is going red in 2012 so my wote doesn't really do much either way. =|

There is that. Big (but) Conservative Government between 2000 and 2006 certainly got the debt/deficit ball rolling.

And even if the Republicans have control of both houses and POTUS, MSM hand-wringing over how "smaller increases (than the DNC wants) are cuts" and grandparents eating dog-food, and no hot school lunch for kids etc.. will probably keep them from doing more than just enough to keep America from floundering.

I'm just holding out vague hope Romney really is moving to the right, and/or if not, it buys enough time for my kids to all reach their older teenaged years/young adult hood before "it happens".
I promise not to duck.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 05:47:45 PM »
Good. Damn good.

I don't see it as anyone by Romney at this point, and that's still a hell of a lot better than Obama.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
so with santorum out, and gingrich leaving, that means........ron paul has a chance to be in the top two!   but seriously, i am interested to see how it will go without the other anti-mitt runners.,
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 06:47:21 PM »
so with santorum out, and gingrich leaving, that means........ron paul has a chance to be in the top two!   but seriously, i am interested to see how it will go without the other anti-mitt runners.,
I don't think it's to hard to imagine. Without them, it's Romney. Paul doesn't have the support to pull anywhere near enough delegates from Romney to keep him from locking it in. Even if Gingrich stays in and picks up a lot of the support that would have gone to Santorum I doubt he could manage it either.

Much as he is far from ideal, baring some unforeseen BIG event occurring, it's Romney and Obama. Hopefully Romney surprises us.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 07:09:59 PM »
it buys enough time for my kids to all reach their older teenaged years/young adult hood before "it happens".

Grandkids.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 08:16:55 PM »

Oh . . . Ron Paul may still be out there somewhere, too. Last I heard he was back home to campaign in Texas.

Why do you speak this blasphemy? Everybody knows there is not, and never was, a Ron Paul.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:56 PM »
I'm sorry Rick has a gravely ill daughter.  I wouldn't wish that on anybody.  He was the one republican I supported the least.  My libertarian heart leaps to see him leave.  Good riddance.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 06:25:12 AM »
I just wonder how many Santorum delagates will actually support Romney....and how many will vote for Gingrich or Paul in order to broker the convention....I don't think Mitt's got a lock yet....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 08:56:01 AM »
AJ: I go between the "it buys us time" theory, and the "Bush with GOP House and Senate did more damage than Clinton with a GOP House and Senate" hope for gridlock strategy.

So we're back to R. business as usual, a random stagger towards the precipice.

In the end, there's no way in hell my state is going red in 2012 so my wote doesn't really do much either way. =|

I'm in Illinois.  I can relate.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 09:00:18 AM »
I know Obama is a disaster.

I know my state will be in play.

I'm still rather certain I can't vote for Romney, though. I don't want the Republican version of Obama, "I'll tell you what you want to hear, just don't look at my record! It doesn't count!"
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 09:16:18 AM »

I'm still rather certain I can't vote for Romney, though. I don't want the Republican version of Obama, "I'll tell you what you want to hear, just don't look at my record! It doesn't count!"

Concur. The only question is who I'll write in. Maybe Cheney, just for kicks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 11:00:54 AM »
I don't think it's to hard to imagine. Without them, it's Romney. Paul doesn't have the support to pull anywhere near enough delegates from Romney to keep him from locking it in. Even if Gingrich stays in and picks up a lot of the support that would have gone to Santorum I doubt he could manage it either.

Much as he is far from ideal, baring some unforeseen BIG event occurring, it's Romney and Obama. Hopefully Romney surprises us.

i was pleased to see the numbers in virginia (i think) where only paul and romney were on the ticket.  didn't ron pual have over 40% of the vote? 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »

Pretty much.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 11:22:05 AM »

Santorum out?  Good.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 11:25:33 AM »
i was pleased to see the numbers in virginia (i think) where only paul and romney were on the ticket.  didn't ron pual have over 40% of the vote?  

Well, I voted for Mr. Paul. I think he's nuts, but I trust him far more than I trust Romney.

I at least know what Mr. Paul would do, or attempt to do.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 08:15:09 PM »
Concur. The only question is who I'll write in. Maybe Cheney, just for kicks.

Nixon and Headless Body of Spiro Agnew, baby!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 10:00:01 PM »
Nixon and Headless Body of Spiro Agnew, baby!

Aroo!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »
Just a gut feeling, but I'm sure the Romney camp knows that there's a lot of sentiment about him like there is right here on this board. And that there's a LOT of disappointment post-Reagan, where all we got as POTUS material was: "No new taxes Bush I", "Is he alive? Dole", "The great spendthrift disappointment Bush II", and "The Manchurian Candidate McCain"...

The whole "proving his conservative bona-fides" factor will possibly carry far enough that it translates into actual policy even after the campaign.

Seat of the pants, throwing a dart into the dark, but right now I'd wager a guess a Romney presidency will be "Less conservative than we want, but more conservative than anyone expected."

By "we", I mean the Right and Libertarian Right.

I figure it doesn't take much time or effort to keep the pressure on him (and more importantly, Congress) that it would actually impact one's "bunker stocking time".
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 11:00:07 PM »
One thing Romney will have to do is reach out to the young voters rallying behind Paul....if he snubs them now, the GOP may never get them back....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.