Author Topic: nice piece in wash time  (Read 2460 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: nice piece in wash time
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:17:09 PM »
With that history, let’s begin debate about the prospects of black America in a different context, a great debate about where we’re going and how we’re going to get there.

While I know that there really is no such thing as color-blindness in America, I would think that those wanting to move their people forward would avoid the one thing certain to hold them back - laying claim to victim status.

You want economic progress?  Let's see how you can get into the economy as an equal player, 'cause if you insist on advantages over the rest of "us" then it just aint gonna happen.

You want educational progress?  Let's see how you can become involved as an equal consumer and provider of educational service, 'cause demanding that "we" give up what "we" have so you can have some part of it aint gonna help either of us.

As I see it the problem is not that blacks are black, but that blacks, via their most vocal  advocates, who say they want equality are actually insisting on preferential treatment.  Remember when Bill Cosby delivered this http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/billcosbypoundcakespeech.htm ?  It seems that he has abandoned that position and now, along with NBPP, Rev. Al and Jessuh merely want to dip into my pocket instead of working up their own sweat and earning their own pocketful of goodies.  I am totally opposed to policies and behaviors that intentionally hold any group back, but I am also totally opposed to any policies and behaviors that try to give unfair advantage to those who are not currently being oppressed as recompense (??) for past oppression of those that came before them.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:34:19 AM »
I am a community college teacher in Detroit. Usually, I am the only white in the classroom. Occasionally a student student will exclaim something like, "You know how Black people are!"

I just zip my lips to show that I have nothing to say about the subject and then gesture that they are free to continue to discuss of the subject.  I then hear talk that would get me fired if it came out of my mouth. Many of them are very aware of where the problems lie. They just don't want to hear it out of white faces.

?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:01:33 AM »
I am a community college teacher in Detroit. Usually, I am the only white in the classroom. Occasionally a student student will exclaim something like, "You know how Black people are!"

When I lived in the barracks at Fort Hood, I had a black/white roommate for a while. About every other day, he would give me an exasperated look, and declare, "Man, I hate black people!" This was usual response to whatever his black friends were up to at the moment.

(He was kidding, of course.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:23:34 AM »
Went to the linked article in the OP and noted who was on the panel. We all know who Al Sharpton is, but the panel also included "Julianne Malveaux, educator and remarkable economist."

That description does a disservice to readers; Julianne Malveaux is the hate-filled harridan who said on national TV that she hoped Clarence Thomas' wife would feed him a lot of unhealthy food so he would die young of a heart attack like so many black men.

It seems he wasn't her type of black man.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 08:34:35 AM »
Blacks are being kept on a new plantation.  They are kept slaves to the government dole for thier (D) votes and for thier willingness to create division and unrest.
The sooner they realize the only thing that can free them is economic prosperity and independence, the better. 
I have no faith, however, that time will come.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 08:41:24 AM »
Blacks are being kept on a new plantation.  They are kept slaves to the government dole for thier (D) votes and for thier willingness to create division and unrest.
The sooner they realize the only thing that can free them is economic prosperity and independence, the better. 
I have no faith, however, that time will come.

Black Americans, as a whole, were extremely self-reliant prior to the 1960's "War on Poverty" (aside: It's been going on for nearly 50 years. Isn't it time to declare a loss and bring our troops home!!111!!).

It took 50 years of perverse incentives to get to this point. It will likely take as long to reverse those incentives. (And, this goes for the decrease in self-reliance in White Americans as well.) IF this country survives, I have faith that the day will come again where all Americans-- White, Black, Red, Yellow, Brown-- rely on themselves and their community and not the government.

It's a simply matter: what cannot go on forever must come to an end. The money is going to run out and all Americans will learn that you cannot rely on the government. It is simply a matter of how hard the lesson will be.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought