Author Topic: Democracy is self contradictory  (Read 3957 times)

drewtam

• friend
Democracy is self contradictory
« on: April 20, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »
If one believes that representative and direct democracy is the best choice among the many systems tried, then one believes that the vote of the majority is the most moral way (among the alternatives) to make decisions.

If one is such a believer in democracy that he is also an active part of the system (an activist, politician, demonstrator, etc), then one necessarily believes that the majority is making the WRONG choice about some particular or many topics.

Hence the internal love-hate relationship within the politically active who are also supporters of democracy. It is a self contradictory position.
It is from this position that I think the annoying "sheeple" term comes from, a term used by both sides about the same people, often at the same time.
 [popcorn]
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Democracy is self contradictory
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 07:54:34 PM »
I've pretty much become an anarchist  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
If one believes that representative and direct democracy is the best choice among the many systems tried, then one believes that the vote of the majority is the most moral way (among the alternatives) to make decisions.

If one is such a believer in democracy that he is also an active part of the system (an activist, politician, demonstrator, etc), then one necessarily believes that the majority is making the WRONG choice about some particular or many topics.

Hence the internal love-hate relationship within the politically active who are also supporters of democracy. It is a self contradictory position.

There are at least two big problems with your syllogism. First, there isn't a contradiction between believing that the majority vote is the best method, and also believing that the majority vote (even if it is the best way) is not always right. Secondly, there are plenty of people participating in the process who agree with the majority position and/or current laws.

Thirdly, one common goal of such activism is to change the view of the majority.

Fourthly, well, I think there was actually a fourth thing, but I forgot what it was.

Have to walk the dog now, bye.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:54:05 PM »

Fourthly, well, I think there was actually a fourth thing, but I forgot what it was.

I'll wait on the fifth ( of Scotch).
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 10:39:23 PM »

To hold that "representative or direct democracy is the best choice among the few choices left available to us"* does not mean that one thinks it is a particularly good choice.

*even assuming that I do

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:44:52 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 10:50:15 PM »

If they are working within the system, then they are trying to rally a majority to their cause. Belief in majority rule doesn't imply a belief that the majority will always make the right choice, or that the majority will even be well-represented. Maybe the majority is not voting for some reason.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:28:44 PM »

It is from this position that I think the annoying "sheeple" term comes from, a term used by both sides about the same people, often at the same time.
[/b]
 [popcorn]

To quote Socrates; "the problem with a democracy is that two fools outvote one wiseman."

BTW, America was supposed to be a representative republic, not a democracy.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 08:29:14 AM »
A unanimous representative government would have  solved most of the problems we have.
too late now.  I no longer believe it can be turned around.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
A Chuchill quote, after his abrupt repudiation by the Brits after WWII (so I hear):  "The people have spoken, the bastards"
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »
A Chuchill quote, after his abrupt repudiation by the Brits after WWII (so I hear):  "The people have spoken, the bastards"

Ahhh, that is the heart of it. Thanks for the quote.

BTW, this was intended to be an attempt at light hearted quasi-philosophical humor. Not deeply rational.

Some of you caught on...
I'll wait on the fifth ( of Scotch).
I've pretty much become an anarchist  :P
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 09:20:33 AM »
As Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 10:23:11 AM »
To quote Socrates; "the problem with a democracy is that two fools outvote one wiseman."

BTW, America was supposed to be a representative republic, not a democracy.

America IS a representative republic...at least for the time being, erosion of authority through executive fiat notwithstanding.  The problem is, the citizen-representative/non-professional politician has become a rare breed.  One good thing that has started occurring recently is the election of non-professional politicians.

I think it's interesting to see how the viewpoints between politicians who are "professional politicians" or lawyers differ from those with other original careers--Ron Paul for instance--you will see a fundamental difference, namely "there 'ought to be a law" being replaced by more concrete solutions or market-based approaches.   

People seem to forget in this era of "crowd sourcing" that no one person or small group can achieve the same optimum solutions across many disparate fields as a broad market--so we apply crowd sourcing to so many analytical problems, but seem to forget it when it comes to the big problems.