Author Topic: Irony: Actress attacks speech rights, ACLU  (Read 1764 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Irony: Actress attacks speech rights, ACLU
« on: August 19, 2017, 01:40:19 AM »
I haven't heard of this actress (which is no slight to her), but I couldn't help but notice her twisted "understanding" of speech issues, and the constitution.

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/08/17/actress-aclu-nra-free-speech/

Like the NRA with the Second Amendment, the ACLU exploits the anachronistic nature of the First Amendment, it cedes to its of lack of foresight, and it demurs to the primacy of white men in the constitution’s considerations: The framers did not foresee a world in which white men alone would have power or opportunity for speech.

I guess we can't count on actors to support free expression.

A partial rebuttal:
If Ellis is suddenly disillusioned with the ACLU because of its support for neo-Nazis, it only reflects her own ignorance and youth. Ellis would have been nine years old when the ACLU went to court to allow neo-Nazis to organize a march through a mainly Jewish community in Skokie, Illinois, where survivors of the Holocaust lived.

There is more stupidity and fisking* at the link. Be warned.

* http://www.redstate.com/jimjamitis/2017/08/04/eager-bash-nra-dana-loesch-reporters-fail-understand-english-profession/

eta: A space so the second link works.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:32:36 AM by Amy Schumer »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

griz

• friend
Re: Irony: Actress attacks speech rights, ACLU
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 08:41:57 AM »
When people start talking about how speech they don't like is violence that justifies violence against the speaker I no longer take them seriously.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 10:26:23 AM »
When people start talking about how speech they don't like is violence that justifies violence against the speaker I no longer take them seriously.

I, on the other hand, take such people VERY seriously, and I start cleaning my guns and inventorying my ammunition supply. There's no way of knowing when they'll switch from verbal attacks to physical attacks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 02:03:44 PM »
"The framers did not foresee a world in which white men alone would have power or opportunity for speech."

Uhm...

Pretty much exactly what they foresaw... because it's what they created.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 03:21:08 PM »
I once read that the demographic group that supports free speech the most is old people.

The most opposed... young people.  That's sad.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Irony: Actress attacks speech rights, ACLU
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 11:43:47 PM »
I once read that the demographic group that supports free speech the most is old people.

The most opposed... young people.  That's sad.
Thank you,  liberal control of schools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 01:39:41 AM »
The framers did not foresee a world in which white men alone would have power or opportunity for speech.

If only people like Oprah Winfrey, Al Sharpton, Kanye West, Jesse Jackson, Colin Kaepernick, Maxine Waters and Barack Obama could speak their minds in today's society, things would be...just exactly how stupid they've become.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 10:07:02 AM »
If the ACLU fundraises on the 1st Amendment, and the NRA fundraises on the 2nd Amendment.  Then I think I'll start a group that fundraises on the 3rd Amendment, since that obviously needs more litigation.

I've found my road to riches....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 11:16:58 AM »
I'm starting to hear more and more talk of COTUS  being an organic document intended to grow and change with the will of the people.  True, by way of Constitional Amendment.  Not true by way of "we don't like it, so the Constitution says we are right."  So, if little miss sunshine here wants speech that says things she doesn't like to be illegal, she can call for a Constitutional Convention and see if she can get a proposed amendment ratified.  Until then, to borrow a popular shorthand, she can STFU.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
If the ACLU fundraises on the 1st Amendment, and the NRA fundraises on the 2nd Amendment.  Then I think I'll start a group that fundraises on the 3rd Amendment, since that obviously needs more litigation.

I've found my road to riches....
Getting tired of playing host to Seal Team 6? [popcorn] [tinfoil] :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 07:14:59 PM »
From Ms. Ellis's manifesto:

I donate to the ACLU because I believe its work to protect immigrants is vital.

In other words, "I like it when the ACLU protects criminals and lawbreakers, but I don't think they should defend the Constitution." I wonder if she understands that the "CL" in ACLU stands for Civil Liberties, and just where she thinks those civil liberties are spelled out and singled out for protection.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:45:37 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 01:08:15 AM »
Getting tired of playing host to Seal Team 6? [popcorn] [tinfoil] :rofl:

That's going into my fundraising literature...  Too many Militarized Video Games... we must raise money to fight the militarization of society...

Since I've previously sold my soul, this shouldn't be a problem.  I just need a name for my "group".
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 10:00:41 AM »

Having friends of both sides of the aisle, I found a quick way of shutting folks up on this subject.

"So, you're telling me you want to give Trump and Sessions the right to police hate speech, which can mean anything. And you think they're going to use it against their supporters? Not say... You? Wow, you are a very committed believer in Donald Trump and have a lot of faith in the man."

The fury. It is epic.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 11:10:58 AM »
Having friends of both sides of the aisle, I found a quick way of shutting folks up on this subject.

"So, you're telling me you want to give Trump and Sessions the right to police hate speech, which can mean anything. And you think they're going to use it against their supporters? Not say... You? Wow, you are a very committed believer in Donald Trump and have a lot of faith in the man."
The fury. It is epic.

Seriously ... people who want to ban "hate" speech ought to imagine the laws being enforced by their worst enemy....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 11:50:22 AM »

The fury. It is epic.

Genius!   =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 07:25:00 AM »
She really needs to acquaint herself with the activities of the ACLU in the 1970s and 1980s.

She has them to thank for "offensive" speech and symbols being protected under the First Amendment.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.