Author Topic: Obama not attending Fall of the Berlin Wall 20th Anniversary Celebration  (Read 3694 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Obama has declined Germany's invitation to attend the 20th anniverary celebrations marking the fall of the Berlin Wall.  I guess it should not surprise us, given his beliefs.
Still, one would think that the seminal event of the 20th Century, the event that truly marked the fall of Communism, deserves some sort of acknowledgement on his part.

The National Review has gathered remarks by a number of folks commenting on Obama's refusal to attend the events.

Forgetting the Fall

Here is Larry Greenfield's comment:

LARRY GREENFIELD
GDR citizen Helke Dittrich, 25, managed to escape East Berlin by lying down between two hollowed-out surfboards. The Stuttgart shop mechanic Ulrich Werner, 27, whom she married afterward, smuggled her out. The surfboards were brought out on the rooftop of a Renault Fuego, which made its way across the Berlin Wall checkpoint.

The year was 1987, the year that Pres. Ronald Reagan, at the Brandenburg Gate, told Mr. Gorbachev to Tear Down This Wall. Reagan early and often promoted liberty, American exceptionalism, and human rights. All those who escaped Communism by hidden secret compartments in cars, or by tunnel, or by hot-air balloon, or in fantastic motorized water packs, and all those who died trying, had a friend in Ronald Reagan and the American people, including, previously, Pres. John F. Kennedy. From the Berlin airlift to spiritual uplift, great American leaders have always resolutely stood up for freedom.

Until now. Mr. Obama came to Berlin in 2008, while campaigning, and has continued to preen for foreign approval by apologizing around the globe for the United States. But this year, the celebrations will take place without him.

Berlin, 2009. Celebration of liberty and America’s heroic leaders. Mr. Obama, apparently this is not your place. President Reagan, meanwhile, will now have an exhibit dedicated to his leadership at the Checkpoint Charlie Museum.

— Larry Greenfield is fellow in American studies at the Claremont Institute and executive director of the Reagan Legacy Foundation.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:24:55 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: Obama not attending Fall of the Berlin Wall 20th Anniversary Celebration
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 02:34:38 PM »
Perhaps it conflicted with his golf schedule... :mad:
Still, as you said, no surprise here...In other news, rain makes things wet!
Hi.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 02:36:26 PM »
Surely there are better things to beat him up with than this?  
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 02:43:18 PM »

Given that his attitude about this is only to be expected, probably.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 02:45:11 PM »

Agreed....besides, it would probably bring up bad memories for most pro-communist political leaders....don't want to make him sad.....  :'(
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 03:57:04 PM »

But this will do.  We'll just have to beat him some more on the other items.   =)

I think the leftist enemy has the right playbook - make a federal case out of everything.  Throw every solid object or glob of mud within reach.  No complaint too small, no accusation too outlandish. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 05:19:13 PM »
Celebrating commie fail/fall conflicts with his core ideals.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 06:05:34 PM »
Still, one would think that the seminal event of the 20th Century, the event that truly marked the fall of Communism, deserves some sort of acknowledgement on his part.

Like his father, he's a Marxist. Why would he help celebrate one of Marxism's most blatantly obvious failures?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 08:47:06 AM »
. . . the event that truly marked the fall of Communism . . .
  Didn't fall.  It morphed and found a new host (c.f. US house vote on PelosiCare last night).
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 07:52:23 PM »
Pretty sad.  The greatest triumph of American foreign policy.  Winning the (Cold) without firing a shot.

Surely that deserves the recognition of the sitting American President.

Apparently not.

-Scout26, US Army Cold War Veteran, 2nd Bde, 8th Infantry Division, Baumholder Germany, 1987-1991.  I was there when it fell.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »
Why would Obama attend a ceremony celebrating an event he laments?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 02:51:01 PM »
If he attended, he would probably speak.  If he spoke, we would probably complain about what he said.  He might as well stay home.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 03:06:32 PM »
If he attended, he would probably speak.  If he spoke, we would probably complain about what he said.  He might as well stay home.

Ergo, he should just lock himself in the bowels of the White House for the rest of his term. :angel:

He'd be my ideal president if he did that.  Not seen, not heard, not doing anything.  Just as FedGov should be.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Secret Copy of Obama Speech
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 03:41:56 PM »
"Many Bothans died to bring us this information."

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZDFkZWRiMTk2YmJiNGVmNzg3MTljMDMwMGFjZWIyOWM=

Secret Copy of Obama Speech   [Mona Charen]

President Obama elected not to commemorate the fall of the Berlin Wall, but my sources have smuggled out to me part of the speech he would have delivered had he been there.

Twenty years ago today, thanks to the leadership of General Secretary Gorbachev, the mutual suspicion between East and West Germany came to an end. The Cold War was a bitter time for many, particularly in my country, when paranoia and unfounded animosity toward other systems of government impeded peace and progress. Due to unfounded fear and misplaced priorities, my country sometimes supported regimes that did not deserve support. At the same time, the Eastern bloc nations also made mistakes. They were sometimes too quick to assume the worst about us without giving us the benefit of the doubt. After all, while decision makers in Washington DC may have made many dreadful decisions, I was only in grade school at the time.

Thankfully, that time is past. Now, we can move forward together to create a world in which distinctions between command and free economies are gradually erased, and in which nuclear swords will be beaten into solar plowshares.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 09:31:30 PM »
Good thing he kept his mouth shut....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 10:32:59 PM »
I was in Europe, (Italy at the time, sort of) 20 years ago. While we were engaged in operations in (actually under) the Med at the time and due to operational security reasons we didn't get the word till we got back to port. I remember it as being kind of a really big deal.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 04:41:31 AM »
He ended up actually speaking. By video.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 10:14:03 AM »
Ergo, he should just lock himself in the bowels of the White House for the rest of his term. :angel:

He'd be my ideal president if he did that.  Not seen, not heard, not doing anything.  Just as FedGov should be.

any bill he doesn't sign becomes law, i'd rather have the president at least vetoing a bill or too, or maybe 90+ percent of bills [tinfoil]

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 07:49:31 PM »
any bill he doesn't sign becomes law

Eh?

I could have sworn it was the other way around - if he doesn't sign, it doesn't become law.  Part of the whole checks and balances thing.   ???

Whoops.  Nevermind. Been a bit long since high school civics...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:54:15 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 08:15:10 AM »
I tried to be outraged.  And then Obama showed up at the funeral for the soldiers killed at Fort Hood.  I'd rather see him here (US) than there (Germany).

There are more important things to whine about.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »
I tried to be outraged.  And then Obama showed up at the funeral for the soldiers killed at Fort Hood.  I'd rather see him here (US) than there (Germany).

There are more important things to whine about.

Not that he planned it that way of course. I might give him a point if he had planned to be in Germany and canceled because of the Fort Hood terrorist attack.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 09:36:07 AM »
Some of ya'll are headed down the Obama Derangement Syndrome path, eh?  Much like watching the huffpoers react to anything Bush did.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 12:32:54 PM »
Well, yeah, but at least he had the good manners to bow down to the emperor of Japan, so it's going to be okay.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 08:31:53 PM »
Some of ya'll are headed down the Obama Derangement Syndrome path, eh?  Much like watching the huffpoers react to anything Bush did.

Worked for them didn't it?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 02:35:52 AM »
Obama has declined Germany's invitation to attend the 20th anniverary celebrations marking the fall of the Berlin Wall.  I guess it should not surprise us, given his beliefs.

You won't see Micky Gorbachev or Nelson Mandela there either. For them, the fall of communisim isn't something to celebrate.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.