Author Topic: Well, it's answered. They will work together  (Read 4696 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Well, it's answered. They will work together
« on: January 16, 2011, 02:58:37 PM »
The question has been answered. The republicans will work with democrats on gun control. There are laws currently on the books. New ones are not needed. People of Oklahoma. You need to remind Coburn of this at the ballot box.

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., who appeared with Schumer, agreed that the law was not written with a case like Loughner in mind. 

"There's a hole in what we need to do. And I'm willing to work with Senator Schumer and anybody else that wants to make sure people who are mentally ill cannot get and use a gun," he said.

http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=22995&external=680018.proteus.fma#r_http%3A//www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html%3Fpage%3D22995%26content%3D47107799%26pageNum%3D-1
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Well, it's answered. They will work together
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 03:07:28 PM »
Hmm. Should I mention anything here about using marijuana, LSD and other drugs in the 1970's?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 03:49:05 PM »
did you see the show?  or are you relying on someone else's interpretation?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
Hmm. Should I mention anything here about using marijuana, LSD and other drugs in the 1970's?

Now. Now. Don't go spoiling the "mission creep" just yet.  [popcorn]
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 04:03:20 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41078415/ns/meet_the_press-transcripts

MR. GREGORY:  What about the number of rounds, Senator Coburn, the ammunition clips?  There are lawmakers who have already introduced legislation that would limit those the way the assault weapons ban did.  Is that where the debate ought to go?

SEN. TOM COBURN (R-OK):  I don't think so.  You know, I, I think we're missing a bigger, a bigger problem.  We have an obviously unstable person who, multiple times in encounters in different levels in our society, people worried about.  He was pushed back, rather than somebody intervening and helping this individual.  And so what we need to be--make sure that we fix the right problem here, and one of them is mental health, and, and how do we put our hands around people who are so disturbed.  If you read all the reports on Jared Loughner, it is almost every encounter he had with people, people were concerned about him.

MR. GREGORY:  Mm-hmm.

SEN. COBURN:  And yet nobody grabbed hold of this young individual and said, "You need to be helped.  You need to be taken under care." And then had he been, he would've been reported and never been able to buy a gun.

reality  the ultimate buzzkill
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 04:15:06 PM »
SEN. COBURN:  And yet nobody grabbed hold of this young individual and said, "You need to be helped.  You need to be taken under care." And then had he been, he would've been reported and never been able to buy a gun.

And knowing that, he still wants to work with democrats to pass ANOTHER LAW.

That's the reality.

Abraham Lincoln

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 06:27:53 PM »
I'll be watching this one pretty close. Coburn is pretty popular around here and him sponsoring onerous gun control legislation would likely lose him a boat load of votes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »
I'll be watching this one pretty close. Coburn is pretty popular around here and him sponsoring onerous gun control legislation would likely lose him a boat load of votes.

Not if it "only" affects those with documented mental issues.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 06:36:26 PM »

Supporting ANY gun control legislation, major or minor, should have a cost at the ballot box.

Abraham Lincoln

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 06:59:34 PM »
One would logically think (yeah, I know but stick with me) the place to start is the good sheriff and how many times he had to invoke existing law and thereby place the shooter under direct control of law enforcement.  Instead we are looking a "loophole" in law and saying that if only that particular loophole was closed the event would have never happen.  And just what is it that makes Sen. Coburn think his new law would have been enforced if it had existed? 

Is it just me or does anyone else think Sen. Coburn "has grown in the job"  perhaps to prep himself for other responsibilities.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 08:37:15 PM »
has coburn proposed a law?  or even schumer? i mean a real law?  not speculative? or is it a case of the transcript being too long to read?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 08:57:34 PM »
has coburn proposed a law?  or even schumer? i mean a real law?  not speculative? or is it a case of the transcript being too long to read?

Schumer said he is proposing to the Justice Department and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives that the military be required to notify federal officials about such admissions. The New York Democrat said such a process does not require new legislation.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/16/schumer-require-military-report-applicants-drug-use-prevent-gun-purchases/#ixzz1BFmZbVWR
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 09:20:57 PM »
does not require new legislation

Go straight to jail.  Do not pass senate, do not collect 218 votes.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »
Of course the Left believes ALL conservatives are insane...don't they?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 11:13:46 AM »
I've heard the Republicans are going to sit next to the Democrats at the State of the Union address.  I think that's wrong: they are going to sit on the Democrats' laps...
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 11:53:50 AM »
I've heard the Republicans are going to sit next to the Democrats at the State of the Union address.  I think that's wrong: they are going to sit on the Democrats' laps...

And when the Republicans speak, if you watch real closely you might see the Democrats' lips move  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 01:59:20 PM »
Of course the Left believes ALL conservatives are insane...don't they?

Therein lies the endgame.  2+2 always = 4.

Immediately after the shooting, we have leftists popping off about "responsible" speech.
And now, we see they want new "mental health" legislation. 
When there are three cards, and two hands, if you take your eyes off the card, you always loose.

When they control the narrative on what "mental health" is, it will become another tool to silence the opposition.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 05:36:33 PM »
And knowing that, he still wants to work with democrats to pass ANOTHER LAW.

That's the reality.
Maybe I'm a little slow here, but what new law is Coburn trying to pass?  I don't see one.  What are the details of this new law?  What does it say?

The closest thing I can find is in the the MSNBC article.  Loughner was crazy, certifiably crazy, but since nobody took the effort to certify him, he was still cleared to purchase a gun legally.  Coburn correctly identifies this as a failure of the local authorities, of local law enforcement and the local mental health system, not a failure of our gun laws.  There's definitely room for improvement here.  They need to clean up the local sheriff's office (Dupnik should've already lost his job over this event), and institute some real measures to identify and help crazy people rather than throwing them back out on the streets while they're still a threat to others. 

So, anyway, I'm not seeing any new gun control laws being proposed or pushed by Coburn.  Quite the opposite, in fact, as Coburn immediately rejects the idea of new gun control measures like a mag limit.

MR. GREGORY:  What about the number of rounds, Senator Coburn, the ammunition clips?  There are lawmakers who have already introduced legislation that would limit those the way the assault weapons ban did.  Is that where the debate ought to go?

SEN. TOM COBURN (R-OK):  I don't think so.  You know, I, I think we're missing a bigger, a bigger problem.  We have an obviously unstable person who, multiple times in encounters in different levels in our society, people worried about.  He was pushed back, rather than somebody intervening and helping this individual.  And so what we need to be--make sure that we fix the right problem here, and one of them is mental health, and, and how do we put our hands around people who are so disturbed.  If you read all the reports on Jared Loughner, it is almost every encounter he had with people, people were concerned about him.

MR. GREGORY:  Mm-hmm.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 06:10:20 PM »
As someone who works in the mental health field, this nation (and Texas in particular) is long overdue for mental health reform. The whole "de-institutionalization" movement of the 50's & 60's lead to a lot of people being out in the street that shouldn't be...all because the libs believed that the right of a mentally-ill person to live on the streets and harm others is more important than the right of others to live without being victimized by mentally-ill persons or pay high taxes so these mentally-ill persons could be incarcerated instead of treated.

I hold a slim hope that the current trend of mental health treatment will be revised to help those who need it instead of screwing over the rest of us....but I'm not holding my breath....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 09:51:37 PM »
Unfortunately, who is "mentally unfit" becomes a question for "experts," making an end-run around due process.  In times like these that has to scare all of us.  I can live with deranged individuals but not with a deranged government.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »
in real life there is quite a bit of due process to get someone declared a nut bar

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 12:03:40 AM »
I don't consider the processes of government to be "real life."
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 01:04:15 AM »
I can't count the number of news stories I've read where some guy/gal twists off and hurts/kills someone besides themselves, and the family is reported as saying they'd tried for, in some cases, years to get that person hospitalized but couldn't becuase the way the laws are written in most states it's nearly impossible to involuntarilly commit someone.  It not THAT hard to get a 72 hour mental eval hold on someone, but that doesn't count as a 2A disqualifier.  But even to get that 72 hour hold can be a very high hurdle to clear in some cases. 

Personally I'd like to see it made a bit easier to get those holds placed and to have it made easier to get a long term committal.  But both of those should come with a lot more due process than what existed in the past.  There should at least be mechanisms to ensure the right to legal representation, and to get appeals up far enough to get away from local influences. 

What we have now clearly is failing way too many people.  What we had 60 years ago was too ripe for abuse, and often times did little to any more than warehouse the mentally ill.  I think we can do better.
Formerly sumpnz

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 01:13:54 AM »
in real life there is quite a bit of due process to get someone declared a nut bar

As there should be. Trust me, you don't want to experience what many people in, say, Israel do.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 01:28:31 AM »
I came extremely close to being locked up and having electric shock "therapy". The only thing wrong with me (aside from me smoking pot at the time) was that I was a rebellious teen. Another psychiatrist intervened and saved me.

I realize there has to be a balance, but just as with imprisonment, the burden of proof should be on the accuser and the burden should be heavy.