Author Topic: irony from oakland  (Read 6420 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
irony from oakland
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:48:52 AM »
Although windows at two bank branches and a Whole Foods store were broken and graffiti was painted inside one of the banks, officials described the protests as peaceful and orderly and said no arrests had been made.

“It is important to acknowledge the world is watching Oakland tonight,” city administrator Deanna Santana said as demonstrators began to gather at the port. “And we need to ensure it remains a safe place for everyone.”

There was little to no visible police presence all day, although authorities were on standby in case of an emergency, officials said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/oakland-prepares-to-be-occupy-wall-street-movement-epicenter-with-marches-bank-protests/2011/11/02/gIQAkvHZfM_story_1.html

peaceful?  on what planet?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: irony from oakland
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 11:06:25 AM »
Although windows at two bank branches and a Whole Foods store were broken and graffiti was painted inside one of the banks, officials described the protests as peaceful and orderly and said no arrests had been made.

peaceful?  on what planet?

Yeah, no kidding. I'm trying to figure out the Whole Foods thing. I would have thought the protestors would be pro Whole Foods. Also, some more peaceful and orderly protests:

http://michellemalkin.com/2011/11/03/more-ugly-occupy-oakland-pictures-that-wont-make-msm-front-pages/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »
It is the typical riot mentality.

Once the rioting starts, the goal of the insurrection goes out the window, and they just want to steal stuff because they can get away with it.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:19:21 AM »
background on santana
Santana, a graduate of UC Berkeley and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, started her public policy career in Oakland as an intern in the city manager's office 16 years ago. She worked her way up the Oakland administrative ladder as a management analyst in the police department before taking a job with San Jose.

Quan said she knew she'd found the right person when she learned that one of Santana's majors at Berkeley was ethnic studies, a department Quan and her husband pride themselves on co-founding.

"She's a little bit like me - but younger," said Quan, 61, of Santana.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:20:15 AM »
She's right: the world is watching Oakland but not as a model of how society ought to proceed.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 11:21:30 AM »
background on santana
Santana, a graduate of UC Berkeley and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, started her public policy career in Oakland as an intern in the city manager's office 16 years ago. She worked her way up the Oakland administrative ladder as a management analyst in the police department before taking a job with San Jose.

Quan said she knew she'd found the right person when she learned that one of Santana's majors at Berkeley was ethnic studies, a department Quan and her husband pride themselves on co-founding.

"She's a little bit like me - but younger," said Quan, 61, of Santana.

Good to see the Commissariat is alive and well and still throwing off progress.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »
“It is important to acknowledge the world is watching Oakland tonight,” city administrator Deanna Santana

Delusions of grandeur?

I would have thought the protestors would be pro Whole Foods.

But not necessarily paying for whole foods.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 11:23:33 AM »
If those protests are peaceful, imagine how bad the Tea Party demonstrations must have been, what with all of the gun nuts, Obama haters and racists in their midst.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 11:38:43 AM »
It is important to acknowledge the world is watching Oakland tonight,
Watching, yes. In disgust.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 11:45:13 AM »
It's amazing how blatant the bias of the press is.

"Mostly peaceful protests" when referring to these Occupy _____ thugs.

"Hateful" "Racist" "Very Ugly" "Angry"  when talking about the Tea Party.

Seriously, search "Mostly Peaceul" + Tea Party in google. It'll only bring up stories involving violent left wing protests being described as "mostly peaceful" and then compared to the tea party.

(And I know this happens every single time the "journalists" report on left-wing events (INCLUDING GREECE!) and this is but another example. It's still shocking to me how some people can't see through this.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 11:50:52 AM »
Nothing surprising there.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 11:59:28 AM »
And how many Tea Partiers were arrested and/or rioted compared to the Occupiers.  Either by numbers or percentages it wouldn't even be close.  The Occupiers win (have more) in both categories.  The only way the Tea Partiers might have a larger number arrested is because a lot more participated.  But I doubt it and their percentage arrested is going to be a lot smaller.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »
It's amazing how blatant the bias of the press is.

"Mostly peaceful protests" when referring to these Occupy _____ thugs.

The phrase "mostly peaceful" was used by Oakland law enforcement, not 'the press'.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »
The phrase "mostly peaceful" was used by Oakland law enforcement, not 'the press'.

But at the same time if they actually reported what they saw and not just what they heard...
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 01:00:12 PM »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22Mostly+Peaceful%22+occupy

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 01:25:41 PM »
Police said that about 7,000 people participated in demonstrations throughout the day that were peaceful except for a few incidents of vandalism.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20111103/D9QP7IC80.html
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 04:56:04 PM »
Not ironic, but at least one Oakland resident is willing to defend his property:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/11/03/BACM1LQ5FU.DTL

Oakland developer Phil Tagami is used to working behind the scenes to broker some of the biggest deals in town. Late Wednesday, he was using different persuasive skills - holding a loaded shotgun to scare away rioters trying to get into a downtown building.

"We had people who were attempted to break into our building," the landmark Rotunda Building on Frank Ogawa Plaza outside City Hall, Tagami said today. He grabbed a shotgun that he usually keeps at home, went down to the ground floor and "discouraged them," he said.

No police were in sight, he said.

I hope Mr. Tagami is not interrogated by Oakland P.D.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 07:14:56 PM »
It's funny how Oakland PD was really tough with protestors when there was no overt vandalism to be seen (that night they cracked that guy's skull), but now when destruction of property is happening in broad daylight they are no where to be seen. Is this some kind of strategy or are they just inopportune to the point of seeming mentally handicapped?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 07:22:50 PM »
It's funny how Oakland PD was really tough with protestors when there was no overt vandalism to be seen (that night they cracked that guy's skull), but now when destruction of property is happening in broad daylight they are no where to be seen. Is this some kind of strategy or are they just inopportune to the point of seeming mentally handicapped?
No overt vandalism, just throwing bottles, rocks, feces, etc.  Nothing much.

A local radio guy interviewed an Oakland police Rep.  Apparently, they are upset with the city leadership because they were ordered to kick the protestors out and keep them out resulting in the incident you refer to, but then the city went back and allowed them back in.  So the net result is the police get a bad rep for no gain whatsoever all because the politicians can't figure out what they want.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 07:29:56 PM »
Oakland's mayor did some serious backpedaling after that Marine-who-hates-the-Marines got his bell rung.  The squatter's camp is now larger than it was before the incident.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 07:37:15 PM »
As my kids say, maybe it is Opposite Day in Oakland!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 11:39:05 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-1104-oakland-strike-20111103,0,3605599.story

Oakland engulfed by mostly peaceful protest

Yes, that's seriously the headline.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 01:53:34 PM »
Hobo Real Estate Developer With a Shotgun

Has he sold the movie rights?

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 05:21:52 PM »
And the political pundits compare these rioters with the Tea Party demonstrations?  Politics.  Politics.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)