Author Topic: Evidently, terrible marksmanship is protected by SYG  (Read 5544 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Evidently, terrible marksmanship is protected by SYG
« on: October 13, 2013, 11:52:01 PM »
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/10/11/2769631/south-carolina-stand-ground/

Dude is aiming for "a group" of people who are a threat to him, and kills a person completely unrelated to the conflict.

Judge rules that SYG protects him from criminal prosecution and civil penalties.

Srsly.

I like SYG, but this is clearly wrong.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Evidently, terrible marksmanship is protected by SYG
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 12:10:39 AM »
I could actually see where those threatening the shooter should be charged with the homicide since had they not engaged in criminal activity it would not have happened.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 04:44:54 AM »
I like SYG, but this is clearly wrong.

Based on that article and the articles linked within, that was a terrible, terrible shoot. Perhaps the worst shoot I've read about.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 09:28:02 AM »
If the deceased was truly 100% innocent as the articles appear to say . . . I can see where an otherwise law abiding next-of-kin would be unwilling to accept the judge's immunity decree for the shooter, and things could escalate.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »
Reading this, I seriously wonder if this judge isn't actually against SYG, and figures that ruling in favor of a SYG defense in this case might cause such an uproar as to prompt the legislature to repeal said SYG law.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Evidently, terrible marksmanship is protected by SYG
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 09:35:57 AM »
If the deceased was truly 100% innocent as the articles appear to say . . . I can see where an otherwise law abiding next-of-kin would be unwilling to accept the judge's immunity decree for the shooter, and things could escalate.
i believe you bring up a good question. IF he was as innocent as described. i'd like a lil background before i decide. trayvon was innocent too

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 09:37:07 AM »
Reading this, I seriously wonder if this judge isn't actually against SYG, and figures that ruling in favor of a SYG defense in this case might cause such an uproar as to prompt the legislature to repeal said SYG law.

I was just thinking the same
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »
Here is another analysis from a web site that isn't Think Progress:

South Carolina Father Wins Self-Defense Immunity in Shooting of Bystander

At first I was mad, but I agree with this author.  If self-defense was lawful and his actions were reasonable, then blame should fall on the people that caused the encounter.  The guy that was shot was innocent, but if the guy claiming self-defense was reasonably defending himself, didn't act recklessly, at also innocent, then why should he go to jail?  The women that were the aggressors are the ones to blame.  In addition, the media seems to want to turn this into a SYG issue and that statute has nothing to do with this proceeding.  
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:59:08 AM by SteveS »
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 10:24:34 AM »
Better but still not good.

And explain to me the 15 year old leaving a niteclub

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »
First Question:  I am not really sure how SYG laws would apply here?  The immunity part normally only comes into play for a "good shoot".  If he was justified in shooting, does that mean he was justified regardless of what he actually shot?  That seems to fly in the face of everything I have ever heard.

Second:  Why would this lower court ruling stop another lower court from deciding the civil suit against the shooter can proceed anyway?  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 01:10:49 PM »
Isn't this what happens to cops that hit bystanders?  And we're always like "If that was a regular Joe they'd string him up."

If the pulling the trigger was justified, and wasn't criminally reckless with his aim (i.e. he aimed at the aggressors and missed, not firing over his shoulder with his eyes closed or some such) then why wouldn't the shoot be justified? 

Events can be tragic without being criminal.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »
Better but still not good.

And explain to me the 15 year old leaving a niteclub

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Could be an all ages club. 

Some questions remain in the case: The group of girls may have fired shots first, but testimony is conflicted on if shots were fired at Scott himself, or at all. There is also some indication that Scott was primed to shoot his gun at someone: Even prior to the shooting, he had a sign in his window that read, “Fight Crime – Shoot First,” according to a 5th Circuit Assistant Solicitor.
[/b]

Solicitor=prosecutor?  Interesting they drag his window sign into the argument.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 02:31:43 PM »
Solicitor=prosecutor?
We like to be different
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »
Isn't this what happens to cops that hit bystanders?  And we're always like "If that was a regular Joe they'd string him up."

If the pulling the trigger was justified, and wasn't criminally reckless with his aim (i.e. he aimed at the aggressors and missed, not firing over his shoulder with his eyes closed or some such) then why wouldn't the shoot be justified? 

Exactly. If he had somehow acted recklessly, then a court may have decided otherwise.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 04:15:14 PM »

Oh and this.

Marksmanship has nothing to do with it. If he was justified in discharging his weapon and missed hitting a bystander, that's on the folks that gave him cause to discharge his weapon in the first place, baring some gross negligence on his part.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »
Seems a good example of the felony murder rule; all fault falls on the initial aggressors. Go after the thugs for being thugs. Always pin tragedy on the criminal acts. It prevents moral ambiguity and helps maintain order.  The 'they only meant to be this degree of criminal' benefits no one but criminals... and defense attorneys.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 04:18:55 PM »
Seems a good example of the felony murder rule; all fault falls on the initial aggressors. Go after the thugs for being thugs. Always pin tragedy on the criminal acts. It prevents moral ambiguity and helps maintain order.  The 'they only meant to be this degree of criminal' benefits no one but criminals... and defense attorneys.

Hmm... I've seen this principal driven out to unnecessary extremes.

A few years ago we had a pair of nooz helicopters collide over a park in downtown phoenix while following a high speed car chase.

Prosecutor filed charges against the fleeing vehicle driver for murder of the helicopter pilots.

I find the notion unacceptable in that application, as well as this one.  I understand your argument... I still think it is a dodging of responsibility.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 04:31:48 PM »
For the issue of moral culpability, it gives you the first place to look. Successful prosecution  is several steps removed.  If the uncovered facts are such; charges are easily dropped.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »
I agree with criminal liability in the event an innocent bystander is shot by a legit shoot.

I question this being a legit shoot.

Facts are few and far between so far and I haven't been able to dig up anything that seems trustworthy.

Witnesses and police outright dispute that the car carrying the aggressors fired any shots, which is what the good citizen is claiming. That they shot and that they shot first in a drive-by style shooting shortly after his party arrived home.

Then you have his actions leading up to the events that I highly doubt anyone on this website would advocate. And his handling of the subsequent shooting, which I know would not be advocated by anyone on this website.

His character is in question, not whether a criminal should be held liable for harm to bystanders and property.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 09:55:47 PM »
Who do you trust, the Court or the Media?
The correct answer of course is no one!  [tinfoil]

• friends

Waitone

• friend
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 09:09:34 AM »

A few years ago we had a pair of nooz helicopters collide over a park in downtown phoenix while following a high speed car chase.

Prosecutor filed charges against the fleeing vehicle driver for murder of the helicopter pilots.

I find the notion unacceptable in that application, as well as this one.  I understand your argument... I still think it is a dodging of responsibility.
I remember a case where a fugitive was charged with the murder of a police officer . . . because the latter crashed his car while responding to the "fugitive" call. The officer was some 40 miles away.

Cases like these are too much of a stretch for me - were I on a jury, asinine overcharges like this would undercut the prosecution's ENTIRE case in my mind.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 10:35:45 AM »
I remember a case where a fugitive was charged with the murder of a police officer . . . because the latter crashed his car while responding to the "fugitive" call. The officer was some 40 miles away.

Cases like these are too much of a stretch for me - were I on a jury, asinine overcharges like this would undercut the prosecution's ENTIRE case in my mind.

I remember that one. It was totally wrong. Much as the one referenced by Redhawk.

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 10:56:02 AM »
http://www.ryot.org/the-stand-your-ground-death-of-darrell-niles-might-be-worse-than-trayvon-martins/416865

What a bunch of morons!  Some journalists are stupid and/or lazy, but I wouldn't even call these guys reporters.  My middle school aged child does a better job of fact-checking.

This case has *%$#ing nothing to do with SYG!  Here is the law that was part of this court proceeding:

South Carolina Code Annotated (S.C.C.A.)

Title 16 – Crimes and Offenses

CHAPTER 11.  OFFENSES AGAINST PROPERTY

ARTICLE 6.  PROTECTION OF PERSONS AND PROPERTY

§ 16-11-450. Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil actions; law enforcement officer exception; costs.

(A) A person who uses deadly force as permitted by the provisions of this article or another applicable provision of law is justified in using deadly force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of deadly force, unless the person against whom deadly force was used is a law enforcement officer acting in the performance of his official duties and he identifies himself in accordance with applicable law or the person using deadly force knows or reasonably should have known that the person is a law enforcement officer.

(B) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of deadly force as described in subsection (A), but the agency may not arrest the person for using deadly force unless probable cause exists that the deadly force used was unlawful.

(C) The court shall award reasonable attorneys’ fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of a civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (A).

Even if RYOT and every other group that hates lawful self-defense were able to wave their magic wands and make SYG disappear, this person would still (under SC law) be able to claim self-defense and have immunity.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:00:38 AM by SteveS »