Author Topic: Attacking police officers in Texas is now a hate crime  (Read 3617 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Attacking police officers in Texas is now a hate crime
« on: June 16, 2017, 02:45:29 PM »
http://www.guns.com/2017/06/15/law-signed-making-attacks-on-police-in-texas-a-hate-crime/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=594357c604d3013c65aa70c5&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Saw this article being talked about on Ar15.com's Facebook page.  The vast majority of commenters were oppossed to the new law, which surpised and impressed me.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Attacking police officers in Texas is now a hate crime
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 03:04:52 PM »
With 23 years in the system, I am opposed to all of the thought crimes, meaning the "hate" crimes.  Seems to me that you should be punishing the criminal conduct, not the motive.  The class/category/gender/race of the victim shouldn't matter any more than the class/category/gender/race of the offender.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 03:14:58 PM »
Some animals are more equal than others...
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 06:06:14 PM »
With 23 years in the system, I am opposed to all of the thought crimes, meaning the "hate" crimes.  Seems to me that you should be punishing the criminal conduct, not the motive.  The class/category/gender/race of the victim shouldn't matter any more than the class/category/gender/race of the offender.

^^^^^^^^^^This.  So much this....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 07:24:18 PM »
I am opposed to all of the thought crimes, meaning the "hate" crimes.  Seems to me that you should be punishing the criminal conduct, not the motive.  The class/category/gender/race of the victim shouldn't matter any more than the class/category/gender/race of the offender.
Totally agree.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 07:55:10 PM »

Or occupation ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 08:00:29 PM »
Or occupation ...

Except for judges and magistrates.  They should get special treatment.  =D
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »
Except for judges and magistrates.  They should get special treatment.  =D

I got some "special treatment" for that class.....

=D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 10:22:52 PM »
I got some "special treatment" for that class.....

=D

You bring the tar, I'll bring the feathers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
I very much agree that hate crimes are BS.  I guess it is one of those things that people find easy to agree with if they don't bother to think it through.  Along with DUI laws, I don't see this changing any time soon.  

I got an email today with a wrap up of gun related bills in the recent legislative session.  No constitutional carry, but some good improvements.  The law eliminating a lot of knife restrictions passed also.  
Your NRA-ILA previously reported that Governor Greg Abbott signed two important pro-Second Amendment measures passed by the Texas Legislature during the recent 140-day session into law: Senate Bill 16, priority legislation of Lt. Governor Dan Patrick that slashes the cost of an original License To Carry from $140 to $40 and reduces the price of a renewal LTC from $70 to $40 to bring fees down to among the lowest in the nation; and House Bill 1819 which revises Texas statutes to track federal law regarding ownership and possession of firearm sound suppressors.  [The Texas Penal Code currently requires these devices to be registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives.  If the Hearing Protection Act that eliminates this federal requirement were to pass Congress before the Texas Legislature meets again in 2019, suppressor owners would have no way of complying with state law and could be guilty of a felony offense without this important change.]  An amendment was added to HB 1819 in the Senate to clarify that non-NFA, short-barreled firearms with a pistol grip -- such as the Mossberg 590 Shockwave -- are not unlawful to sell or own in Texas.  The Lone Star State is one of just two states where this particular gun cannot currently be sold lawfully.  Both laws take effect on September 1, 2017.

Governor Abbott has now also signed the following bills into law, which also have an effective date of September 1:

Senate Bill 263 repeals the minimum caliber requirement (.32) for demonstrating handgun proficiency during the range instruction portion of the License To Carry course.  This unnecessary provision negatively impacts LTC applicants with hand injuries or arthritis who would benefit from being able to use a smaller caliber handgun.

Senate Bill 1566 contains provisions from HB 1692 and SB 1942 to allow employees of school districts, open-enrollment charter schools and private elementary or secondary schools who possess valid LTCs to transport and store firearms out of sight in their locked cars and trucks.  These employees had been left out of the 2011 law banning employer policies restricting the lawful possession of firearms in private motor vehicles.  

Senate Bill 2065 includes language from HB 421 and HB 981 to allow volunteers providing security at places of worship to be exempt from the requirements of the Private Security Act.  This could include License To Carry holders approved by congregation leaders, since the prohibition on possession of firearms by LTCs at places of worship is only enforceable if the location is posted or verbal notice is given.  

House Bill 1935 repeals the prohibition on the possession or carrying of knives such as daggers, dirks, stilettos and Bowies, by eliminating them from the prohibited weapons section of the Texas Penal Code.  Restrictions remain in place for possession or carrying of knives with a blade over 5 ½ inches long in public places and penalties are enhanced for carrying those in the same locations where the possession of firearms is prohibited, generally.  

House Bill 3784 allows persons approved by the Texas Department of Public Safety to offer an online course to cover the classroom portion of the required training for a License To Carry.  The measure also exempts active military personnel and veterans who have received firearm instruction as part of their service within the last 10 years to be exempt from the range instruction portion of the LTC course.   ​
I think they also passed a law setting up a $200 fine for texting while driving.  At least I think that passed.  Not sure what I think about that one.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 11:20:22 PM »
The current spate of "hate crime" laws was prompted by the Texas murder of James Byrd in 1998; three white guys dragged the black man to his death behind a pickup truck.

WITHOUT any hate crime laws, the state of Texas caught and convicted the three murderers. One was executed in 2011, a second one is still on death row, and the third guy is serving a life sentence and won't be eligible for parole until 2038. (Unlikely he'll be released.)

SO . . . what MORE would additional laws like "hate crimes" laws do? Seems the criminal justice system worked just fine without cluttering it up with what amounts to "thought crimes."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 11:20:13 PM »
It isn't the severity of the punishment that counts.  It is how many counts they can convict them on.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 12:23:47 PM »
It isn't the severity of the punishment that counts.  It is how many counts they can convict them on.   =)

Or make them more deader...
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 02:38:34 PM »

isn't this totally at odds with tge common law doctrine of mens rea, though? Motivation is typically pretty central to the whole Western concept of justice. We even have different names and different sentences for the same act depending on what the motivation was.

I'm typically against hate crime laws because they jeopardize equality under the law, but not because I don't think it's valid to consider motivation.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 02:45:09 PM »
I think every hate crime law is wrong because it's attacking thoughts. Your motivation for something (that was done with ill intent) shouldn't matter.

HOWEVER, I think that knowingly attacking a police officer or a judge ought to have a higher punishment, because they are the representatives (or should be) of the rule of law.

Attacking them is more than just attacking a person, it is attacking the means of enforcing the law. Especially since (at least with the police) they are being attacked BECAUSE of their position, not for some personal grudge.

So, the results of a higher sentence is correct. The means is wrong and ought to be changed.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 03:22:04 PM »
isn't this totally at odds with tge common law doctrine of mens rea, though? Motivation is typically pretty central to the whole Western concept of justice. We even have different names and different sentences for the same act depending on what the motivation was.

I'm typically against hate crime laws because they jeopardize equality under the law, but not because I don't think it's valid to consider motivation.

In the bolded part, which crimes are you thinking of?

I'm neither a lawyer, nor a scholar of latin, but having seen Legally Blond, I know that "mens rea" means "malicious will." Whatever it means, considering motive doesn't mean that we have to super-punish people who hate "protected classes." I thought, based on my extensive viewing of Matlock and Castle, that motive was a matter of establishing that the person had a reason to commit the crime of which they're accused. Otherwise, it's hard to convince a jury that they were likely to have done it.

Also, are you confusing motive with intent? If I form a plan to go out with my friends and lynch a certain type of person, that's the kind of intent that gets me a first degree murder charge. That's because I intended to commit murder, as opposed to accidentally killing someone, by driving recklessly. "Hate crime" goes one step further, by punishing me according to who I choose to lynch. So a hatred for black people that causes someone to lynch only black people is a hate crime. A hatred for red-haired women that causes a serial killer to murder only red-haired women is not a hate crime. Do you see a problem that dichotomy?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »
I think punishments go from manslaughter, to murder, to first degree murder all based on intent and/or pre-planning versus crime of passion.  I think most states have different levels of murder as well below first degree.  In Texas, only first degree is eligible for the death penalty.  I think manslaughter involves no intent to kill.  

Threading the needle between those definitions is getting beyond my amature knowledge of the stuff.  Our resident legal eagles might give a better answer.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 05:12:24 PM by MechAg94 »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 06:51:50 PM »
I think every hate crime law is wrong because it's attacking thoughts. Your motivation for something (that was done with ill intent) shouldn't matter.

HOWEVER, I think that knowingly attacking a police officer or a judge ought to have a higher punishment, because they are the representatives (or should be) of the rule of law.

Attacking them is more than just attacking a person, it is attacking the means of enforcing the law. Especially since (at least with the police) they are being attacked BECAUSE of their position, not for some personal grudge.

So, the results of a higher sentence is correct. The means is wrong and ought to be changed.

I heartily disagree. An individual is worth much more than an abstract concept, like law enforcement. From a Christian standpoint, government is ordained by God, but man is made in God's own image. From a non-Christian standpoint, well, I hope non-Christians would arrive at a similar conclusion. If not, then I would question whether they think the community (in the abstract) is more or less valuable than the individual. The answer to that is kind of important.

I think punishments go from manslaughter, to murder, to first degree murder all based on intent and/or pre-planning versus crime of passion.  I think most states have different levels of murder as well below first degree.  In Texas, only first degree is eligible for the death penalty.  I think manslaughter involves no intent to kill. 

Threading the needle between those definitions is getting beyond my amature knowledge of the stuff.  Our resident legal eagles might give a better answer.

Yes - intent, premeditation; not exactly motive.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Attacking police officers in Texas is now a hate crime
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 07:33:30 PM »

I heartily disagree. An individual is worth much more than an abstract concept, like law enforcement. From a Christian standpoint, government is ordained by God, but man is made in God's own image. From a non-Christian standpoint, well, I hope non-Christians would arrive at a similar conclusion. If not, then I would question whether they think the community (in the abstract) is more or less valuable than the individual. The answer to that is kind of important.

Yes - intent, premeditation; not exactly motive.
Errr... so a police officer isn't also a person?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
Re: Re: Attacking police officers in Texas is now a hate crime
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 09:10:06 PM »
Errr... so a police officer isn't also a person?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Of course he's a person. That's why it's already illegal to attack one.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 07:05:12 AM »
I agree with Fistuful here ( :O :O :O :O)

A judge, or politician, or police officer isn't any more special or important to society then any other person.  We are all equal.   No one should be "more equal" than any other person in the eyes of the law.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 08:27:13 AM »

Of course he's a person. That's why it's already illegal to attack one.

Exactly. IN ADDITION to attacking a person, they are also attacking the means by which we enforce the law. I agree attacking a person is worse than attacking an institution.

But, this is a case of attacking BOTH a person and an institution.

Isn't x + y > x, no matter how small y is?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 08:54:36 AM »
Exactly. IN ADDITION to attacking a person, they are also attacking the means by which we enforce the law. I agree attacking a person is worse than attacking an institution.

But, this is a case of attacking BOTH a person and an institution.

Isn't x + y > x, no matter how small y is?

What Amy said. You could also justify "hate crimes," by structuring them as a punishment for attacking someone, and also attacking a race of people. But why stop here? How about an extra penalty for attacking a mother? And so it's not sexist, fathers too? Clergy? Nuns? What about lawyers and politicians, since an attack on them is an attack on our legal and political processes?

I'd argue for a lighter sentence if one attacks an IRS agent.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 12:41:10 PM »
Interesting how some people here seem to believe certain government employees' lives are more important than their own, or the lives of their families.

Hope they sit down with their children or significant others and say "You're not as important to me as that cop/politician/fireman/whatever, so THEY should have special protections that YOU don't."

Should clarify their relationships a bit.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »
Interesting how some people here seem to believe certain government employees' lives are more important than their own, or the lives of their families.

Hope they sit down with their children or significant others and say "You're not as important to me as that cop/politician/fireman/whatever, so THEY should have special protections that YOU don't."

Should clarify their relationships a bit.

I don't think makattak was saying that at all. I DO think that the Texas law has that effect, though. Unintended consequences.