Author Topic: Sanctuary politics  (Read 2412 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Sanctuary politics
« on: April 02, 2018, 01:53:06 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-farmworkers-ice-20180316-htmlstory.html

I'm trying hard to dredge up sympathy for illegal aliens who are finally getting caught after being here for years, but I just can't do it. They know they're illegal, and those who have been here "for decades" have had decades to do something about making themselves legal -- but they haven't done it. As for the farmers who rely on illegal labor -- there is a guest worker program that allows foreign workers to enter on a temporary basis for seasonal farm work. It's not my fault if California farmers have continued to hire illegals rather than follow the law.

It's not just California. The guy who used to do my yard work disappeared a year ago. He was around during the winter of 2016-2017, and he plowed my driveway several times. When spring of 2017 rolled around, though, he was nowhere to be found. I drove by the address on his card (he had a business card), and there was no sign of either of his two pickup trucks. He wasn't around this winter for plowing, either.

I know he was from Mexico. He didn't speak English, and my Spanish is pretty limited. We hired him when my wife (who spoke Spanish as her native language) found him somewhere. I could speak just enough to say hello and to pay him, but not to have any real conversations. My best guess is that he self-deported when Trump was elected.

On an individual level, I feel a degree of sympathy. He was a nice guy and a hard worker. The issue isn't that all illegal aliens are rapists and/or terrorists. The issue is simply that they are illegal. Individual sympathies aside, on a systemic level it's not tenable to have millions of illegal workers taking work away from people who are here legally, and sending huge chunks of money out of our national economy and sending it back to family in the native country.

And no, I didn't -- and don't -- know that he was illegal. My wife knew that I am adamantly against illegals, so when she hired him and I saw that he had a business card I assumed that he was legal. That now appears to have been naive on my part.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Sanctuary politics
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:30:31 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-farmworkers-ice-20180316-htmlstory.html

I'm trying hard to dredge up sympathy for illegal aliens who are finally getting caught after being here for years, but I just can't do it. They know they're illegal, and those who have been here "for decades" have had decades to do something about making themselves legal -- but they haven't done it. As for the farmers who rely on illegal labor -- there is a guest worker program that allows foreign workers to enter on a temporary basis for seasonal farm work. It's not my fault if California farmers have continued to hire illegals rather than follow the law.

It's not just California. The guy who used to do my yard work disappeared a year ago. He was around during the winter of 2016-2017, and he plowed my driveway several times. When spring of 2017 rolled around, though, he was nowhere to be found. I drove by the address on his card (he had a business card), and there was no sign of either of his two pickup trucks. He wasn't around this winter for plowing, either.

I know he was from Mexico. He didn't speak English, and my Spanish is pretty limited. We hired him when my wife (who spoke Spanish as her native language) found him somewhere. I could speak just enough to say hello and to pay him, but not to have any real conversations. My best guess is that he self-deported when Trump was elected.

On an individual level, I feel a degree of sympathy. He was a nice guy and a hard worker. The issue isn't that all illegal aliens are rapists and/or terrorists. The issue is simply that they are illegal. Individual sympathies aside, on a systemic level it's not tenable to have millions of illegal workers taking work away from people who are here legally, and sending huge chunks of money out of our national economy and sending it back to family in the native country.

And no, I didn't -- and don't -- know that he was illegal. My wife knew that I am adamantly against illegals, so when she hired him and I saw that he had a business card I assumed that he was legal. That now appears to have been naive on my part.

These people are often hard workers.

Unfortunately, their illegality leads to all kinds of other illegality, and I'm not meaning the egregious criminals (rapists, murderers, theives) that are a small, but still larger than the native population, percentage of the illegal aliens.

No, I'm talking about identity theft, insurance fraud, housing law breaking, etc... A much greater percentage of these people enter our country and ignore a great number of other laws- driving without insurance, living with 4 families in a single family home- things that make the cost of living for these illegals much lower. This allows them to outcompete native workers and displace many unskilled laborers who simply can't work as cheaply because the government dictates that LEGAL workers must pay for a great deal more "living" than the illegals who are allowed to slide.

(And this isn't even referring to the issues of paying illegals cash with no intent of ever paying taxes/social security/retirement that may be dictated by the state.)

The illegal aliens are depressing the wages of the worst-off in our society. And yet, too many of these people keep voting for democrats who want to bring in even more competition for their jobs and keep their wages low. (Or nonexistant.)

This honestly is one of the things that really angers me. The Democrats are screwing over the "lower classes" but still get a huge percentage of their vote. (And are even worse to the black population, and get a MUCH higher percentage of that vote.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »
I believe our main concerns, on immigration/border issues, should be two.

First, that Americans be reminded that the U.S. controls her own border; that only our citizens have a say in who can come in from outside. Though we may be so generous as to welcome foreigners, we do so at our discretion, and not because they have any right whatsoever to be here. Whether we let in 1 immigrant or 100 million, and regardless on what terms they enter or remain, the Left must be defeated in their attempt to confuse this issue.

Secondly, just like citizens of the several states don't want blue state refugees to come in and destroy their red states by enacting blue state principles, we should make sure that American principles remain predominant over any anti-American notions brought in from outside. We have enough anti-American influence coming from within our own citizenry. We must not import same.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 09:33:20 AM »
. . . As for the farmers who rely on illegal labor -- there is a guest worker program that allows foreign workers to enter on a temporary basis for seasonal farm work. It's not my fault if California farmers have continued to hire illegals rather than follow the law. . . .
As long as we have able bodied adults collecting welfare, there should be NO need for immigrant farm labor.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 10:36:44 AM »
As long as we have able bodied adults collecting welfare, there should be NO need for immigrant farm labor.

But they told me that Americans don't want to do that kind of work!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 11:05:13 AM »

Well, I'm pretty sure they don't want to do that kind of work!   =D

Without welfare, they would have to do it though.

I don't think my dad enjoyed picking cotton when he was eight years old!

(I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it either!)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 06:44:39 PM »
Hunger is a great motivator . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 10:09:04 PM »
Well, I'm pretty sure they don't want to do that kind of work!   =D

Without welfare, they would have to do it though.

I don't think my dad enjoyed picking cotton when he was eight years old!

(I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it either!)
I think a lot of people today don't realize that a LOT of people picked cotton back in the day.  My grandfather did.  I think a machine was invented to do the job much more recently than most people would assume. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 10:44:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrz_Jl7s_Go

Somebody had to do it  =D

The last time the Democrats got their "cheap" labor taken away they started a war.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 11:18:51 PM »
My wife who is 58 picked cotton until she was 15. Her old school German folks didn’t have a phone in their house until she was a junior in high school which would have been in 1976. She dragged a cotton sack until she was 10. After her dad bought a stripper then she hand picked what the stripper didn’t get. Hoed weeds until she was into her late twenties with our two kids in tow to help her dad. Saying he was tight with his money would be and under statement. Her mom made her and her two sisters their clothes until they went into high school. Made their own soap. Anything to keep from spending a dime.

To say no one will do those jobs except illegals is bull *expletive deleted*it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »
My wife who is 58 picked cotton until she was 15. [1]Her old school German folks didn’t have a phone in their house until she was a junior in high school which would have been in 1976. [2]She dragged a cotton sack until she was 10. [3]After her dad bought a stripper then she hand picked what the stripper didn’t get. [4]Hoed weeds until she was into her late twenties with our two kids in tow to help her dad. Saying he was tight with his money would be and under statement. Her mom [5]made her and her two sisters their clothes until they went into high school. [6]Made their own soap. Anything to keep from spending a dime.

To say no one will do those jobs except illegals is bull *expletive deleted*it.

And, updated for today:

[1] Child endangerment
[2] Child abuse
[3] And you claim he was tight with money, I guess "entertainment" was fine with him
[4] Child abuse/Child neglect by your wife (And shouldn't the stripper be doing any "hoeing?")
[5] Child abuse
[6] Child endangerment

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 08:35:12 AM »
All these newfound Federalists make me love the central government, almost as disturbing as when the blm clowns got me cheering for cops. If you believe in state's rights then the first thing to do is to decide what to fight over. Or what not to fight over, like things that are black and white within the sphere of federal control. Like immigration. Or selling federal land within a state, or whatever other cutesy thing Cali is doing to resist today.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Sanctuary politics
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 10:32:50 AM »
And, updated for today:

[1] Child endangerment
[2] Child abuse
[3] And you claim he was tight with money, I guess "entertainment" was fine with him
[4] Child abuse/Child neglect by your wife (And shouldn't the stripper be doing any "hoeing?")
[5] Child abuse
[6] Child endangerment

Hoe \Hoe\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Hoed; p. pr. & vb. n. Hoeing.] [Cf. F. houer.] To cut, dig, scrape, turn, arrange, or clean, with a hoe; as, to hoe the earth in a garden; also, to clear from weeds, or to loosen or arrange the earth about, with a hoe.

Not the other kind of hoeing.

https://goo.gl/images/E1hbey

LOL.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 11:28:54 AM »
Different "stripper" as well I'd imagine...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 12:00:13 PM »
Different "stripper" as well I'd imagine...

Sorry keep forgetting about differing backgrounds.

Tractor mounted stripper.

https://goo.gl/images/yFBSMy

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 12:10:47 PM »

Tractor mounted stripper.

Hey, whatever floats your boat man. We're all "sex-positive" around here.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 12:32:01 PM »
Some of us are less "sex-postive" then others...that way madness lies.... ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 12:48:01 PM »
Some of us are less "sex-postive" then others...that way madness lies.... ;)

Ah ... words are great, as long as everyone agrees on what they mean. "Hoe" / "Ho" -- "stripper" / "stripper" -- what's in a word? Madness lies in using the same word while speaking of different things.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 12:59:35 PM »
I'd like sex, I'm positive I would!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 02:09:48 PM »
I think a lot of people today don't realize that a LOT of people picked cotton back in the day.  My grandfather did.  I think a machine was invented to do the job much more recently than most people would assume. 

That reminds me:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PToqVW4n86U     (NSFW language)

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 02:23:23 PM »
I'd like sex, I'm positive I would!

"The sex you want, you can't get.
The sex you get, you don't want."

Saw that somewhere recently.  Might have been talking about prison, though.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »
There's a tshirt about that...

[attachment deleted by admin]
MOLON LABE!

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 09:28:45 PM »
Since this thread has already drifted.

My brother in law is a cotton farmer. Where I now live most people are not familiar with some words people like me use.

He fell off of a stripper a few years ago almost killed him. Three broken ribs collapsed lung and broken collarbone.

The few days following the accident I told some of my coworkers what happened. It took me a few minutes to figure out why the “this does not compute” look on their faces.

Was pretty funny. A pole dancer type stripper never entered my mind. It was just normal nomenclature for me and didn’t think anything of it.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 10:04:56 PM »
Meanwhile co-workers are aghast because they have done the math on what weight class stripper it would take to allow a grown man to fall off and that mental image isn't fading.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 07:20:57 AM »
Meanwhile co-workers are aghast because they have done the math on what weight class stripper it would take to allow a grown man to fall off and that mental image isn't fading.

That may have been the non compute look also.

LMAO