Author Topic: I feel like crap...a long catharsis and search for wisdom  (Read 4429 times)

Norton

• friend
I feel like crap...a long catharsis and search for wisdom
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2005, 03:20:36 PM »
Gary,

It's always fascinating to talk with folks who've entered teaching from another career......they genuinely seem to enjoy it more.  I guess it's one of those grass is greener type things.

I'm working on pursuing the recording technology stuff.....what I'd really like to do is to get a college gig doing the music technology thing.  I'm a real academic at heart and LOVE college campuses (well, with the exception of the anti-gun weirdos).  Trouble is that band director jobs are few and far between, but if I get my chops up on the recording stuff I might be able to swing a job at the local community college (5 miles from home vs 30 miles to the HS where I work now).

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2005, 12:42:44 PM »
Norton, you've already received tons of good advice, so I'll just ask a question: since you "only" work 190 days a year, is it possible for you to spend the other days pursuing what you really want to do? With enough effort, you could turn what you really want to do into your full-time job.

Believe me, I empathize with you. After 27+ years as a photographer, I want out, and I'm trying to make that happen.

Norton

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2005, 12:57:54 PM »
Quote from: Monkeyleg
Norton, you've already received tons of good advice, so I'll just ask a question: since you "only" work 190 days a year, is it possible for you to spend the other days pursuing what you really want to do? With enough effort, you could turn what you really want to do into your full-time job.

Believe me, I empathize with you. After 27+ years as a photographer, I want out, and I'm trying to make that happen.
I've started doing that gradually over the last couple of summers.  Now that I don't have to run my own marching band I truly have my summer free.  Consequently, I'm trying to focus my time during July and August on shooting as much as finances allow (imagine that) and working on my mountain land and the cabin there.

Amazing how doing things for oneself once in a while can really make a difference in your attitude.

What kind of pohtography do you do?  If it's doing school pictures I feel like I should offer you a stiff drink  ;-)

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2005, 03:28:28 PM »
Edited because I must learn that some threads contain more than one page and all should be read before commenting.

Regardless, good luck to you.

P95Carry

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2005, 04:09:53 PM »
Hi Paul - late to thread cos I ain't dropped by here for a bit.  Not much need to go into a lot because much has been said and a lot very useful too.  Plus I will not bore one and all with my life history!!!

I will say this tho - and it varies between individuals - but stress from my POV is a diabolical spoiler of life, physically and mentally.  I never handled it too well - and it got worse as I aged.  One biproduct of sustained stress I think is a type of depression - not what you might call out and out ''clinical depression'' but affecting such a perceived lowering of quality of life that nothing much really seems much good any more - plus aches and pains!

I have a chronic old back problem - so can't be free of that but sure as heck - submit me to excessive stress loading and that gets worse, headaches come - and fatigue becomes profound.

Without trying to guide you in any direction in particular - I do think change is going to be your only salvation - even if income drops substantially.  My wife and I live at a pretty low fiscal level these days - tho we have got some stuff paid off so ain't too bad ... what it means tho is, while we can't entertain expensive vacations for example - we have that wonderful commodity - TIME - to spend together more than was once the case.  Because that time is within a low stress environment - it is more valuable.

Enough ramble - but I think reading between lines thru the thread - you already are beginning to formulate some sorta strategy - and I reckon after a while things will fall into place.  I sure hope so - as well as hoping to again enjoy both your company and Scott's at another shoot sometime.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Norton

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2005, 04:33:16 PM »
Chris,

As always, I value your advice.

I think you're right....something is coming but I'm just sure just yet what that might be.

This is my 3rd school over the last 17 years and with the previous two I had "a feeling" that it was time for a change.  Being young and single, I had that luxury.

That "feeling" is knocking on the door again.....I just need to be more strategic in how I go about enacting that change as I've got more than myself to think about this time around.

I figure that I'll know it when I see it.......I keep hoping for that ad to appear in the Washington Post for Supreme Ruler  ;-)

Norton

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2005, 04:34:47 PM »
p.s.

Chris,

Whenever we can do another Portage shoot I will definitely be there.  I'll just be sure to bring more clothes the next time!

P95Carry

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2005, 04:39:37 PM »
"Supreme Ruler'' Wink - I hope Ray and I can fix another Portage shoot - which will of course be a good few months ahead yet.  It'd be great to all but repeat our last tho would hope for a less aggressive weather to start the day!

I know one thing tho - I will NOT bring quite as much hardware - lifting all that gear gave me two days of hell from my back!  Anyways - we'll stay in touch, oh and yeah - be strategic, that's a given Smiley
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site